Warhammer 40,000
The online multiplayer does match people up by experience (based on number of games played and win/loss record) but most of the games tend to be quick. Most winning strategies involve building to rush your opponent very early. If you can hold of the opponents rush then it's usually a good game. Or you can decide to rush yourself. The other option is to find players who agree to "no attack for 5 minutes" and other cheese like that.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Darn it. I like the demo, but playing it has given me the MOST computer lock-ups ever.

Anyone else having problems with demo? I can get it to run and run smoothly, but not for long. It'll eventually lock up on me. Computer freezes stink :(
Drasca,Jan 30 2005, 03:13 PM Wrote:Darn it. I like the demo, but playing it has given me the MOST computer lock-ups ever.

Anyone else having problems with demo? I can get it to run and run smoothly, but not for long. It'll eventually lock up on me. Computer freezes stink :(
[right][snapback]66755[/snapback][/right]

I didn't have that trouble.

I would check the usual suspects; video & audio drivers, different graphics modes, OS patch levels, Direct X, etc.

Edit: Here is my machines specs;

[Image: Dark-Angel_Specifications.JPG]
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

It ran trouble free for me to. Slight jumpiness the first few frames of cutscenes but the game ran very smooth for me.

System
Pentium 2ghz?
512 ram
XP home w/service pack 2
MX440 64meg video card
DirectX at newest version
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I recently acquired the game and played it for a little bit this morning. It is incredibly detailed, you can customize the way your armies will look, you can literally zoom right next to a space marine, eldar, ork, etc and watch them fight. The terrain is incredibly detailed as is the lighting and shadows (I always turn shadows off because it slows down the system with unnessesary graphics). You can view any part of the battlefield, etc. The only other RTS that comes to mind that is as detailed as this or a little more is Earth 2150.

However, I will say that this game has a huge learning curve. It might be hard for someone that has not played the tabletop game to pick this up. You have to worry about troop morale, wepon upgrades on individual units, everything that comes with the 3rd edition rules, basically. It does have the staples of RTS game: build base, find resources, and build an army, but that's to be expected.

This is really only fom a cursory glance and about 45 minutes of gameplay.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
kandrathe,Jan 30 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:I didn't have that trouble. 

I would check the usual suspects; video & audio drivers, different graphics modes,  OS patch levels, Direct X, etc.

Edit:  Here is my machines specs;

[Image: Dark-Angel_Specifications.JPG]
[right][snapback]66758[/snapback][/right]

Those specs are very similar to mine. Main difference is I use XP Pro. Crazy! :w00t:
WWBBD?
kandrathe,Jan 30 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:I would check the usual suspects; video & audio drivers, different graphics modes,  OS patch levels, Direct X, etc.

Hmm. I'm having systematic troubles involving memory/hardware access... although less trouble in general when turning off virtual memory.

I can tell a CPU temporary slowdown to a HDD access freeze. This is the latter.

Basics:
P4 2.8(A) Ghz
1.5 Gigs ram
GeForce Ti 4600
120 Gb HDD's x 2
/w 15 and 97 gb parititions on first HDD, Windows XP SP2 on the 15 Gb HDD.

Various services disabled based on information from blackviper.com

Latest known Nv Gfx card drivers.

Here's a detailed report of my hardware specs
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/myhome/Report.htm

Sorry for ads/pop up. It my only free webspace for now (that doesn't reveal personal information)
Well, I figured out what it was.

Gfx card overheating. Took it out, gave it a good dusting with compressed tetrafluoroethane, and let it cool.

Works fine now. . .

But I hate overheating. . . and I'm getting worried my GeForce 4600 is just showing "I will break down on you if you dare push me" craggedity nature. Mind you, that's me too, but that means he/she/it deserves a break--and maybe retirement.

I placed a Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH GeForce 6600GT AGP on order from Zipzoomfly. I doubt I'll ever need to overclock. Too bad I couldn't find any US vendors of the Galaxy version, but I hope my CPU is up to the task. I have a nasty feeling my P4 2.8 (A) CPU might not do full GPU utilization--but hopefully I'll come close.

I would've considered the BG brand, but I haven't seen any comparative data at Anandtech.com. 6600GT is just best bang for buck in AGP terms right now. Mindblowingly so.
Drasca,Feb 3 2005, 04:54 AM Wrote:Well, I figured out what it was.
[right][snapback]67038[/snapback][/right]
After your post yesterday, my gut told me that something was up with your video card. I had typed up the response, but then I didn't post it as it was wild speculation on my part. I went through that with a Saphire 9800 pro, although it was clear the card was the problem. I tried a couple of the more inexpensive but effective fan replacements with no luck. I eventually just bought a new one.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

kandrathe,Feb 3 2005, 09:07 AM Wrote:After your post yesterday, my gut told me that something was up with your video card.  I had typed up the response, but then I didn't post it as it was wild speculation on my part.
[right][snapback]67044[/snapback][/right]

What were your symptoms? I know mine here.

Looking at various tech fora on other nvidia cards, I came across recognizable symptoms of overheating. In particular, white specs/flaking, color distortions being rendered in, all described symptoms of too much overclocking, heating problems... and eventually it all came together. Overheating has happened before with this card, and I am not surprised. I also remember reading somewhere about Geforce 4's tending to have a short life and overheating problems--but heat is unavoidable with all cards.

Its been too hot in my room recently for a computer. I must admit I've been clinging to warmth in this small room instead of taking care of my computer's needs. High 70's F to low 80's F will cause heat problems on any computer eventually.

There were also serious levels of microdust caught in the fan. It was like blowing flour. I am glad I have this pressurized tetrafluouroethane.

The circuit board itself is hot even now. 50-60C. I don't want to even think about how hot the GPU is. I just know it burns when I go near the fan.
Drasca,Feb 3 2005, 06:01 PM Wrote:What were your symptoms? I know mine here.
[right][snapback]67100[/snapback][/right]
Yes, sounds familiar. Mostly that white pixel artifacting, especially on water effects. My problem was that the stock fan, and even the upgrade I installed were not sufficient to cool the card. By the time I tried a huge one the damage had been done. I think Saphire 9800's would be a good choice only for someone who was going to strip them down and go straight to water cooling. But, now for someone with that kind of money will go straight for the top of the line anyway.

I ended up with a special MSI version of the dumbed down 9800XT that had about 5x the heat sink surface area. More like the second photo below.

Compare this very small cooling aparatus;

[Image: 14-102-281-11.JPG]

with the more recent re-release (although mine also has a GPU fan);

[Image: 14-102-294-02.JPG]

Yes, Mr. Shirley, size makes a difference. :)

Hi, pakman,

pakman,Jan 31 2005, 05:49 PM Wrote:This is really only fom a cursory glance and about 45 minutes of gameplay.
[right][snapback]66812[/snapback][/right]

So, any updates/reactions based on a few more days playing? :D

How fast-paced is this game? Do they allow you to change the game speed at all? Or, at least, pause to issue orders?

I liked Chaos Gate & Final Liberation, which were unit-level turn-based games set in the Warhammer universe, but I didn't care for Curse of the Horned Rat (?) or Chaos Gate, which were +/- real time Warhammer games, using larger units (squads, armies, etc.), such as you describe with this one.

Some real-time games just get too frantic for my taste. If the pace was tolerable, I might be interested in this...

Regards,

Dako-ta

Some pre-election humor a friend sent me that I just got around to reading :blush: :

The Post Turtle

While suturing a laceration on the hand of a 75-year-old Texas rancher (whose hand had caught in a gate while working cattle), a doctor and the old man were talking about George Bush wanting to be in the White House. The old Texan said, "George Bush is nothin' but a post turtle, ya know".

Not knowing what the old man meant, the doctor asked him what a post turtle was. The old man said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle."

The old man saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to explain, "You know he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just want to help the poor stupid bastard get down. "
Dako-ta,Feb 5 2005, 01: Wrote:Hi, pakman,
So, any updates/reactions based on a few more days playing?  :D

How fast-paced is this game? Do they allow you to change the game speed at all? Or, at least, pause to issue orders?

I liked Chaos Gate & Final Liberation, which were unit-level turn-based games set in the Warhammer universe, but I didn't care for Curse of the Horned Rat (?) or Chaos Gate, which were +/- real time Warhammer games, using larger units (squads, armies, etc.), such as you describe with this one.

Some real-time games just get too frantic for my taste. If the pace was tolerable, I might be interested in this...
Regards,

Dako-ta

The game is somewhat fast-paced. Much of the time, you spend just building your units and upgrading your base. The computer doesn't seem to attack much, so you really don't have to worry about defense of the base, although the attack they do send get rally annoying so I would recommend having base defense. This game only allows you to play the Space Marines not the Eldar or Ork, which I find quite disappointing (an assaulty on Imperium would be quite fun). Once you get drednaughts, the game is really over for the other team. Just send in those backed up by marines with heavy bolters, and you've basically won the mission.

I said earlier that it may be difficult to pick up. However, it may not be as hard as I thought. Everything is done for you. The only thing you have to worry about it keeping your marines reinforced and high morale. You don't even need to use the psyker that you eventually get. The detail, also, is not as in-depth as I thought. In Earth 2150, you can fully customize units, meaning you pick what chasses and guns they get, if they have their headlights on or off when attacking, etc. In Dawn of War...not so much. The only customization you can have is whether or not a ceratin squad of marines is going to have flamers, heavy bolters, missile launchers, or plasma weapons. Different units come with a couple different weapon choices. Resources are based on the number of "strategic points" that are captured and how many power plants you build. Each mission takes me an average of about an hour to finish

Overall, this is not one of the greatest RTSs made. Don't get me wrong, it is incredibly fun to zoom right into the thick of battle and watch the seargent rip apart an Ork with his chainsword. It is fun to build 20 drednaughts and absolutely destroy anything that gets in the way. I would recommend it, but if you are a hardcore must-follow-all-3rd edition-rules Warhammer type, you may not like it. But if you get the game for a "nostalgic" or side interest, you will greatly enjoy the game.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Feb 5 2005, 03:27 PM Wrote:The game is somewhat fast-paced.  Much of the time, you spend just building your units and upgrading your base.  The computer doesn't seem to attack much, so you really don't have to worry about defense of the base, although the attack they do send get rally annoying so I would recommend having base defense.  This game only allows you to play the Space Marines not the Eldar or Ork, which I find quite disappointing (an assaulty on Imperium would be quite fun).    Once you get drednaughts, the game is really over for the other team.  Just send in those backed up by marines with heavy bolters, and you've basically won the mission.
For the canned campaign you are Space Marines, and you will fight Ork, Eldar, and Chaos. In the skirmish maps you can play any race, against up to 7 opponents with varying levels of difficulty. On some maps with standard difficulty if I play 1 vs 3 I get creamed. The AI is very good at sending waves of harrassing units in to disrupt your base, etc. I viewed the campaign as a sort of tutorial, like the Starcraft campaigns. I wish DOW was as deep in the campaigns, but multiplayer is where I like to play my RTS's.

Hi, pakman,

Thanks for the reply; I finally got online tonight, thought I would get back here before this.

pakman,Feb 5 2005, 08:27 PM Wrote:"The detail, also, is not as in-depth as I thought.  In Earth 2150, you can fully customize units, meaning you pick what chasses and guns they get, if they have their headlights on or off when attacking, etc.  In Dawn of War...not so much.  The only customization you can have is whether or not a ceratin squad of marines is going to have flamers, heavy bolters, missile launchers, or plasma weapons.  Different units come with a couple different weapon choices. "
[right][snapback]67279[/snapback][/right]

That sounds about like Chaos Gate. Hmmm, I have Earth 2150, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. One of these days...

pakman,Feb 5 2005, 08:27 PM Wrote:I would recommend it, but if you are a hardcore must-follow-all-3rd edition-rules Warhammer type, you may not like it. But if you get the game for a "nostalgic" or side interest, you will greatly enjoy the game.
[right][snapback]67279[/snapback][/right]

I'm not really that familiar with the Warhammer pen-paper/miniatures world, except for having scanned over a couple of such-like websites when I was looking for the patch and some info about Chaos Gate, so I wouldn't be bothered by differences between RL 'rules' and the computer version. I guess I will keep my eyes open for a good price on it, though I think it's already come down from it's original release price.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards,

Dako-ta

Well, kinda bringing this thread back from the dead, but I finally took some pictures at least of one model in my army that I am quite proud of.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain1.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain3.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain4.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain5.jpg

I love that terminator chaplain. I should borrow my friend's camera so I can take more pictures of the rest of my army.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Apr 24 2006, 01:05 PM Wrote:http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain1.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain3.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain4.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pkasley/chaplain5.jpg
[right][snapback]108112[/snapback][/right]
These are just a few inches tall, aren't they? Nice detail work.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
That model is about an inch and a half tall.

Chicago wargaming club
I've had it and the expansion for a while now, and I enjoy it quite a bit, especially the post-expansion game. Pre-expansion, there was very little difference between Chaos and Space Marines (save Chaos having lower overall Morale and instead having a few variety units tossed in.) Post-expansion, however, the difference is night-and-day; while Space Marines remain about the same (a high-Morale, very versatile race), Chaos have become an assault-oriented powerhouse, surpassing even Orks in that field. Additionally, ALL Chaos units (save Chaos Marines, Raptor squads, Horrors, and their Commanders) are completely and utterly immune to Morale - a common tactic to countering Possessed Chaos Space Marines in the original game (they were the strongest assault unit in the original game, and remain that way, though they deal less damage per-hit than other assault units like Mega-Armored Nobz) was to simply kite them around with Flamers until the squad broke, and then use abilities like Weaken Resolve to keep them broken until you could wipe out the entire squad.

I do admit that I do find myself wishing for Starcraft 2 like this (especially while playing as Space Marines.)

Additionally, keep in mind that the AI - even with the Dawn of Skirmish mod that GREATLY increases its capabilities - is about as challenging as a retarded child compared to human opponents. Except to be harassed, rushed, harassed some more, rushed some more, and harassed again in games against human opponents, and expect to see blatant zerging at various tiers.

On another note, this is not a game for the defensively-minded; even the "defensive" race, the Imperial Guard, are a very aggressive race (possessing one of the best tier 1 rushes in the game), and the entire game revolves around constant attack; this means that - for the most part - mines and bolter/missile turrets are of extremely limited use in multiplayer games (although mines are handy for keeping Scout Marines and Cultists out of your base.) If you aren't attacking, you're losing.

On top of this, there is an extremely large difference between tech tiers; that is, very few units from a previous tier will have a good chance against units from a higher tier. Your Raptor squads will have quite a bit of fun shredding Cultists and Chaos Marines in tier 1, but when your enemy rolls out that first squad of Berzerkers - especially if he gets them well before you do - you're SOL.

Finally, the game demands good micromanagement skills (though not nearly as much so as Warcraft III) AND good macromanagement skills; to truly compete, you need to be able to fight effectively on multiple fronts, dancing your ranged units away from his assault units at one location while sneaking off to go ninja one of his strategic points at another location halfway across the map.

It's a fun game, to be sure, but it's not for everyone.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I've also played the expansion, Winter Assault. I love the game both as a game and because I play tabletop 40K. I also played the PS2 firewarrior game mostly because it's 40K related.

<SPOILER>

I loed it in Winter Assault when the Necrons brought the verse in the last mission. I used the Eldar to beat it the first time. I have yet to go back and play it again with the IG, Chaos, or Orks because school, Oblivion, and various other games have gotten in the way.

</SPOILER>

I have been playing a few skirmishes lately with the marines (my favorite race because I also play them IRL). I've been painting up a few Eldar lately and should probably start playing with the eldar because fire dragons are fantasmo in both games. In fact, all Eldar stuff is pretty cool with the parlor tricks and all. I guess is helps to be the oldest race in the 'verse. I'll post a picture of my Eldar test model and some pictures of my entire army later today after I get back from classes.

Chicago wargaming club