changing computers
I am finally upgrading from a win 98 machine to a win xp machine. I have saved my characters but do not know where to put those files on the new computer. Can anyone help me? I am not very computer savvy. You can email me at kcamsdog70@hotmail.com any help would be appreciated.

kcamsdog70
Hi,

In D1 the most recent patches (I don't remember exactly which one it started with) put the files into the game directory with an .sv extension. Simply copy those files to your new computer, be sure to upgrade to the latest version (simplest way is to log onto battle.net) and you'll be home free.

In D2, the battle.net characters are actually stored in an online database. Simply log into one of your accounts and the characters from that account will get the necessary 'stub' files on your computer. Non 'closed' characters are stored in a 'Save' directory under the Diablo II directory. Simply copy all that is in the 'Save' folder and you should be good to go.

WoW is like D2 battlenet characters. Simply log on and everything will be taken care of.

If you're asking about some other game, then please be more specific.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

What about his single player characters? Maybe he's never even played on b.net I .heard that windows 98 can't really go on the internet very well.
Hi,

Learn to read.

Learn to think.

Get a clue.

Go away -- come back when you've accomplished the above three.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Usually with any game there is some type of save folder for your characters. A lot of newer games now ask if you want to save your savegames folder when uninstalling. Copy this folder to a disk/cd/dvd etc. When you install the game on your new XP box, find that same folder and drop in your character files. You will have to update the game because the "old" version of the game from a fresh install will not recognize the patched files.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club