Do It Yourself LCD Projector?
Link-tastic: boo-yah.

The above link is to a "build-it-yourself" LCD Video Projector website. They're selling an instruction manual, and parts, for customers to build a supposedly equal or superior quality LCD Video Projector than most commercial projectors, for a significantly lower price. The screenshots look good, but really, how much can you glean from a digital camera shot of something projected on a wall/screen?

I would attempt this, simply because the price is right and the gains are so high if successful, but I can't due to lack of skills. Minor carpentry and electrical skills are required (these hands were made for Keyboard work, not hammer and saw work!).

Has anyone else tried or even heard of this before? If this kit is all that it's cracked up to be, it could be a VERY cheap alternative to the $6000 (CAD) LCD Rear-projection TV I've had my eye on for some time now.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 20 2004, 02:38 PM Wrote:I would attempt this, simply because the price is right and the gains are so high if successful, but I can't due to lack of skills. Minor carpentry and electrical skills are required (these hands were made for Keyboard work, not hammer and saw work!).
From the few pics on the page you linked to, it appears that the cabinet is very simple. Do you know anyone else that might collaborate with you on the project that has a little woodworking/soldering experience? You could build two at the same time or build one and then build a better second one avoiding any mistakes made on that first one.

The info on that first page is very compelling. Especially given the mention of version 2 using newer technology, if/when I have the money and display space for such a unit, I would at least buy the plans and start pricing the parts. Of course, this comes from someone who has always loved DIY projects, including building the power and pre-amps for my stereo system from Dynaco kits.

If you or anyone of the other Lurkerkin (note Guild Wars guild plug) investigate this further (plans or attempted build), please post your impressions. It would be good to know the quality of the plans, how good the support is from the company and the protected forums, and the actual results.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."