Nuking a hurricane
I don't think it does. I think it helps you rebuild the first time your house is flattened/washed away, and if you rebuild in the same spot (assuming said spot is in a known danger zone), you're responsible for all losses resulting from subsequent identical disasters and your own stupidity.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
I just did a scan of the regs, and I don't see anywhere it would limit you to a one time event. I remember after the last Mississippi flood some areas were de-zoned and people were not allowed to rebuild in the flood plain. The only caveat I saw on the FEMA eligibility guideline was "The damaged home where you live is located in a designated flood hazard area and your community is not participating in the National Flood Insurance Program. In this case, the flood damage to your home would not be covered, but you may qualify for rental assistance or items not covered by flood insurance, such as water wells, septic systems, medical, dental, or funeral expenses."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Seattle.

Don't you know we have rain 200 days a year and drizzle the other 165.25? ;)

I've seen a fair bit of this planet, and I've never found anyplace I'd rather live. However, we have had three quakes big enough to crack plaster in the nineteen years we've lived here. We've lost most of our big trees to wind storms (roofs are another matter -- I got lucky, if replacing a roof before it is totally decrepit is "lucky"). We regularly are without power for one multi-day stretch per year (not as common closer in, but in the 'burbs thirty miles out it is). And I've had to find creative paths to my high ground house through the floods of numerous springs.

Yep, there are a lot of beautiful places (ask the residents of Pompeii) but nature is, after all, a mother. :)

I think disaster aid is really a bailout for insurance companies, and makes for good baby kissing politics.

Wasn't disaster aid what made this country great? Didn't they use it to rebuild San Francisco after the earthquake and Chicago after the fire. Didn't the settlers depend on it when they were wiped out by famine, Indians, drought, and munching on each other in the mountain snows?

Oh, wait. We didn't have that then, did we?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Seattle.
It does rain quite a bit. But a summer in Seattle is about the best you can ask for, at least anywhere I've been (Washington-both sides of the state, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, British Columbia, Missouri, Panama).

Try Bellingham a bit farther north. Smaller town, better housing prices. And when Raineer blows it's top someday we won't be in the first wave of mud flows. :D
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Hi,

Well, first of all, do I really want to be a Belling-hamster? :)

Besides, didn't Pournelle and Niven destroy Bellingham in 'Footfall'?

Actually, I've spent a fair bit of time at Bellingham, having gone to a number of cons there (besides the fact that my daughter went to WWU for one semester). Pretty enough town, nice enough weather (unless the wind lies in the 'gap'). But if I wanted rural, I'd rather go for Blaine (you know, I didn't remember if 'Blain' had an 'e' at the end or not. A web search seems to indicate that the opinion on that is abour 50-50 :) ), or even a bit above the 49th where things are cheaper.

Yep, you're safe enough from Rainer (as long as it's a small burp and not a major blow and the wind is right). But if the fault by the Straight of Juan de Fuca takes a slip, Bellingham could end up being ocean *bottom* real estate.

Actually, Pullman was a right nice place to live. A bit extreme in temperature, but not too bad. And a seven minute commute (when traffic was *real* bad) has a certain charm. :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Occhidiangela,Sep 21 2004, 07:59 AM Wrote:Blizzards in the wintertime.

I like Michigan, having been there a few times, but I will gladly forego its Februaries, really.  :lol:

Occhi
A blizzard doesn't knock your house down. A blizzard doesn't flood your basement.

And a blizzard can be downright fun if you are dressed for it and like being outdoors. Or even if you don't go outdoors...

Great excuse to not show up to meetings, work or school, and just kick back and play board games. :P I have fond memories of the Great White North (five hours north of DeeBye's hometown) where blizzards made for school holidays and wonderful snow-fort building opportunities in the well-packed snow drifts.

Toronto the Good just isn't the same thing at all. Damp humid winters where the snow that doesn't melt right away turns grey and ugly. :angry:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

kandrathe,Sep 21 2004, 02:37 PM Wrote:I agree.  I'm not a part of the culture that believes we need to live in danger free zones, or warn people that hot coffee is hot.
You don't warn people that coffee is "hot".

You warn them because it's hot enough to fuse their nether regions to their pant legs.
ShadowHM,Sep 21 2004, 02:24 PM Wrote:A blizzard doesn't knock your house down.  A blizzard doesn't flood your basement.
But a blizzard can wreck your car, knock a tree onto your house, or cave your roof in.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Sep 21 2004, 02:58 PM Wrote:But a blizzard can wreck your car, knock a tree onto your house, or cave your roof in.
A blizzard can wreck your car only if you are dumb enough to drive in one. :P

As to the tree on the house? A good thunderstorm can do the same.

And if you live in an area prone to blizzards, and have the sort of roof that doesn't shed the snow? You deserve what you get. And, having said that, I lived in a home with a flat roof for much of my childhood, and the wind scoured it clean when the blizzards came. Or are we confusing heavy snowfall with blizzards?
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Pete,Sep 21 2004, 11:26 AM Wrote:I'd rather go for Blaine (you know, I didn't remember if 'Blain' had an 'e' at the end or not.  A web search seems to indicate that the opinion on that is abour 50-50 :) )
I don't know about your part of the world, but about 3 minutes north of me they go with the "e" ending. But then, we Minnesotans have always been known to be rather hoity-toity so we wouldn't go with something so blasé as Blain (ugh, that just looks so wrong :) ).
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Wow, a thread wanders off course and is stuck in the realm of Quayle.
Does the word end in 'e'
potato or potatoe? :P :D

The town is Blaine.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Also, if you have venom lords for pets, don't live up north because blizzards can wipe them out pretty well. ;)

Fortunately most bad weather goes around the area where I live, courtesy of heat from Chicago.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Quote:You warn them because it's hot enough to fuse their nether regions to their pant legs.
:lol: That's the way I like it! It's more of a hand warmer than a beverage really.

Although, I drink it out of a mug at my breakfast table or at my desk at work. Some people should not drink and drive, including me. I always end up wearing my beverages imbibed in the car... and my jelly donuts... and the mustard and ketchup oozing from my burgers...

So I now have a rule that no one can eat or drink in my new car.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

kandrathe,Sep 21 2004, 07:36 PM Wrote:So I now have a rule that no one can eat or drink in my new car.
Now you are stuck with lengthy time-outs whenever you take a car trip that lasts more than two hours, or covers dinner time.

I tried to make that rule stick. But my impatience overwhelmed it. It just takes so durn long to take time out of the car trip to or from the cottage to have a meal. I just want to get there.

But there will be no condiments ! Milk products are also out of the question. Juice, water or soft drinks can be scrubbed out, but milk just plain stinks on a car seat. :angry:
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Hi.

I am writing a project about hurricanes, and I need an anwser for this question:

Why does so many people live in the hurricane areas??

I hope that some of you maybe know a website where I can read about this, or can answer it yourself..

Kopaka,Nov 26 2004, 10:25 AM Wrote:Hi.

I am writing a project about hurricanes, and I need an anwser for this question:

I hope that some of you maybe know a website where I can read about this, or can answer it yourself..
[right][snapback]61270[/snapback][/right]

People are living everywhere, so also there where there are a lot of hurricanes. Most of them stay for the major part on sea though. And as most people live in coastal area's, there are bound to be a few palces where they might hit people. Like in Florida, the caaribean, japan.

p.s. Are you sure you are not confusing tornados with hurricanes?
Kopaka,Nov 26 2004, 05:25 AM Wrote:Why does so many people live in the hurricane areas??

I can think of several reasons off the top of my head.

1) Poverty

Where else are you going to go? If the land is prone to flooding, it may well be cheap to purchase/rent. So it might just be all you can afford.

or 2) An excess of money

Some of that low lying land is right by the pretty beach. So it becomes desirable to have a fashionable beach house there and flaunt your money.

plus 3) Optimism

Hope springs eternal in the human breast. "I know there is a risk, but it just won't happen to me." And that might just be the most important reason of all. :blink:

When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Kopaka,Nov 26 2004, 04:25 AM Wrote:Hi.

Warm weather in those areas, what everyone else said.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Kopaka,Nov 26 2004, 05:25 AM Wrote:Hi.

I would say arrogance and greed. The arrogance of humans that believe they are indomitable, and lack the humbleness that nature deserves. The greed of developers that build on every inch of land regardless of whether or not it is in a flood plain, a desert, downslope of a volcano, or on shaky soil near a fault line.

There are any number of catastrophes waiting to happen in the US alone due to population growth where populations have no sanity in being.

Kopaka,Nov 26 2004, 02:25 AM Wrote:Hi.

Because the rest of the year in hurricane prone places is quite nice.
The Bill of No Rights