Posting suggestions
Does anyone have suggestion for writing better posts? I'm asking because some postss I write don't say what I really had wanted to say, but it's hard to think of how to write them better. Maybe other people can get some help from here too.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Use the preview button. Read your post all the way through. Rince and repeate until you can read it start to finish without making an edit.

Worst case scenario write down a list of points you want to make and check them off as you make them.
Sir_Die_alot,Sep 16 2004, 10:30 PM Wrote:Use the preview button. Read your post all the way through. Rince and repeate until you can read it start to finish without making an edit.
Repeat <_<
And watch out for overzealous spelling nitpickers who are apparently angry at something that happened in the WoW beta and looking for an outlet.
DeeBye,Sep 16 2004, 09:35 PM Wrote:
Sir_Die_alot @ Sep 16 2004, 10:30 PM Wrote:Use the preview button. Read your post all the way through. Rince and repeate until you can read it start to finish without making an edit.

Repeat <_<
Rinse. <_<
The error occurred on line -1.
And repeat again :lol:

More seriously, Sir_Die_alot's suggestion is a good one.

Organize your thoughts, write them all down and then review. (A spell-checker is a handy adjunct to this process.)

I tend to write in too much the first time and have to take out the extraneous things that don't add to my point. Occasionally I have to add further points to clarify statements or back up my opinions/claims.

Then I read it again.

If it still makes sense and if I still think what I have to say adds to the discussion, then I hit the "post" button.

P.S. And the "edit" button is your friend.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Sep 16 2004, 11:17 PM Wrote:If it still makes sense and if I still think what I have to say adds to the discussion,&nbsp; then I hit the "post" button.
I rarely hit the "post" button. For every post that appears here, there are probably a hundred that have died peacefull deaths.

Sometimes I like to have fun and call Bolty all sorts of nasty names before I ditch the post.

This reply took 5 minutes to compose, edit, and re-edit.
Keep it simple and to the point. There is no prize for writing the longest post. Avoid using big words for small ideas.

Know your audience. Don't use jargon or get into technical details unless your readers will understand them. For example, I am a big fan of American football. When I want to use an analogy, I often think of something related to football or other American sports. If I use football jargon to make a point here at the Lurker Lounge, many people won't understand what I'm talking about. I cannot assume they have knowledge of even the most basic football concepts, because this is an international forum with no connection to the sport. If I can use a Diablo reference to make the same point, more people will understand. If I can make my point directly, that is even better.

Post for a reason. Sometimes threads turn into debates, and it is easy to think "If I make the last post, I win!" However, you will usually only influence somebody else's opinion by presenting them with information they are not aware of. So, it's good to state your opinion once. It's good to back up that opinion with supporting details if possible. It's good to clarify your opinion if you think that there is a misunderstanding. It's OK to pick apart the logic in somebody else's post, or ask them for clarification, or refute their details, if it will help the discussion. But if your post's only contribution to a debate is to keep the debate going, do us all a favor and let the debate end!

Know your audience when you post for a reason. Don't start a thread that nobody will be interested in. Also, if you steer a debate towards a field in which you have specific expertise, make sure the people you are debating with can understand your points.

Post rationally. If you get too emotional about what you are posting, you are likely to cause a misunderstand. If you want to make a clear point, don't let things get personal. Now, this point is about expressing ideas clearly. Posting for entertainment value is different. I can't give much advice on posting for entertainment value. I'm just not qualified. When I do clown skits and magic shows for birthday parties, the kids all cry and run away screaming! (<--- See what I mean. This isn't funny at all.)

Put some time into your post. Think about it before you start, to make sure you know what you are trying to accomplish. Think, review, and edit as you type, so you end up with a cohesive post. Review and edit again after you finish, to correct errors and make sure you accomplished your reason for posting. A lot of replies here have said to review and edit your post, and I agree. But unless you are making a very short, simple post, most of your reviewing and editing should be done during the process of writing the post. If you start to get away from the point of your post, and don't correct that problem as it is happening, the only thing you will able to do with it afterwards is delete the whole thing.

Don't be afraid to delete the whole thing. Sometimes I think I have something worthwhile to contribute, and I change my mind. Actually, this happens a lot. There is no prize for writing the most posts.... unless you count getting banned by Lemming as a prize. (<-- See what I mean. This isn't funny at all.)
Nystul,Sep 17 2004, 04:24 AM Wrote:Post rationally.&nbsp; If you get too emotional about what you are posting, you are likely to cause a misunderstand.&nbsp; If you want to make a clear point, don't let things get personal.&nbsp; Now, this point is about expressing ideas clearly.&nbsp; Posting for entertainment value is different.&nbsp; I can't give much advice on posting for entertainment value.&nbsp; I'm just not qualified.&nbsp; When I do clown skits and magic shows for birthday parties, the kids all cry and run away screaming! (<--- See what I mean.&nbsp; This isn't funny at all.)
Posting rationally... This deserves special attention. When a post does not follow this rule it becomes dangerously trollish. Posting about an emotional subject, even in a rational way, is also an area to be explored with extreme caution.

BTW: I did find your joke amusing, but I do have a sarcastic and slightly morbid sense of humor. :P
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein