WC3 server
I've got a question here, how can I set up a own WC3 server?
Im going to a lan soon bout 30 people, and almost all wc3 freaks.

So I saw on a other lan, that someone put up a battle.net-like server, looked the same, only logged in to a lan server.

Does anyone know how i can make this on my own lan ?
IKKE,Oct 5 2004, 12:49 PM Wrote:I've got a question here, how can I set up a own WC3 server?
Im going to a lan soon bout 30 people, and almost all wc3 freaks.

So I saw on a other lan, that someone put up a battle.net-like server, looked the same, only logged in to a lan server.

Does anyone know how i can make this on my own lan ?
[right][snapback]57074[/snapback][/right]

It was done through a BNET emulation program...

Speaking of which, BNETD just lost the case against Buzzard...
Quote:Speaking of which, BNETD just lost the case against Buzzard...

I don't know much about this except for a /. headline. What parts of the TOS did they violate in particular?
unrealshadow13,Oct 5 2004, 05:08 PM Wrote:I don't know much about this except for a /. headline. What parts of the TOS did they violate in particular?
[right][snapback]57108[/snapback][/right]

Check out this lurkerlounge post on Atma's here.

Also a direct link here to an article (taken from the lounge post).
unrealshadow13,Oct 5 2004, 06:08 PM Wrote:I don't know much about this except for a /. headline. What parts of the TOS did they violate in particular?
[right][snapback]57108[/snapback][/right]

I'm actually shocked that the ruling even makes a TOS enforcable on a piece of commercial software. I really don't see how a TOS can be considered a legally binding contract. I can't read a TOS until after I've already bought the product. You cannot agree to a contract you haven't read. If I decide I don't agree with the TOS, I can't return the product because no store will take back an opened piece of software (and rightly so).

A contract is also unenforcable if it does not contain "mutual consideration". Each party must get something of value for a contract to be valid. The store gets my money, and I get a CD-ROM. The "mutual consideration", and therefore the contract, seems to be between me and the store I bought the software from. Where's the "mutual consideration" between me and the company that produced the software? There's about a bajillion middlemen between me and them. Surely I cannot have agreed to contracts to ALL of these people.

Also, what if I get my 2 year old son to click through the TOS? A person under 18 cannot agree to a contract. What if I get someone else to click through the TOS? I certainly didn't agree to the contract, but the software might still be installed on my computer. What if I write a piece of software that strips a TOS out of a CD before I install it?

A contract also cannot supercede law (eg, a contract that says "by agreeing to this contract, you allow me to come over to your house and punch you in the face" is not a valid contract because assault is against the law). There are a whole mess of shady clauses in most TOS's that violate Fair Use laws.

I don't think this is the last we've heard of this case.
Another Question

I already got a BnetD program from somewhere, so it's illegal if I use it right??
(download music too.....so.. :P)

Is anyone here who can help me set up a server to run on my own lan ?
or any guide...cant seem to find one

tnx ahead
Any 1 ??? :| :'(
IKKE,Oct 10 2004, 05:15 PM Wrote:Any 1 ??? :| :'(
[right][snapback]57384[/snapback][/right]

Yes, running a BNetD server is technically illegal right now, and considering the Lounge's relationship with Blizzard you probably won't get any help here on how to run one.
Yes, running a BNetD server is technically illegal right now, and considering the Lounge's relationship with Blizzard you probably won't get any help here on how to

Relationship with Blizzard ?? tell me ???

And besides...its just for a few lans here...we all got legal copies though..But we wanted to make our own little contest without any lag and stuff, thought that would be lot a fun....
IKKE,Oct 11 2004, 02:16 AM Wrote:Yes, running a BNetD server is technically illegal right now, and considering the Lounge's relationship with Blizzard you probably won't get any help here on how to
Relationship with Blizzard ?? tell me ???
And besides...its just for a few lans here...we all got legal copies though..But we wanted to make our own little contest without any lag and stuff, thought that would be lot a fun....
[right][snapback]57414[/snapback][/right]
You don't really want to tangle with Blizzards lawyers, do you? Publishing your intentions here is not the wisest strategy in keeping a low profile, if you were foolish enough to follow through on implementing that software.

IIRC, you can set up a lan game of either WC3, or SC but you may need internet connectivity to enable validation of the individual CD keys. The only thing you lose, as far as I can tell, is the battle net chat/games browser.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

You don't need to validate cd-keys for LAN, at least not for starcraft. :)
IIRC, there was a "spawn" feature for original starcraft where 8 people could play LAN with the same cd key, but that won't work for the expansion. But it's only $20 for everything.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
You don't even need to install Spawn. My friend and I installed the full version of the same game to play over the LAN at school. We even updated to Brood War and connected to Battle.net to get the latest updates for the game, no problems encountered.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I know you can do that, but that's not nice. ;)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)