Flatscreen monitor discussion
A store in my area is having a sale on Flatscreen monitors. My old A50 is somewhat old, and I've been thinking about getting a new monitor. Bottom line is I'm too afraid to get this on my own because I have aboslutely no experience in getting these monitor things. :(

Anyways... here is the link to the sale info page, and here is the link to the sale prices. I'd like some reccomendations on should I get it or not, and maybe some alternate ideas. I'm kind of a cheapo, so my budget is not to much, like $320 at the outside. Any other reccomendations on whether to get this or a different monitor?
[Image: KenyaSig.png]

[wcip Wrote:Angel,Jul 2 2004, 11:19 AM]
unrealshadow13,Jul 2 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I find that a sorceress serves me better when doing MF runs. I have yet to find a useful niche for werewolves... They are a slow killer (imo) and my old werewolf always got owned in pvp.
Does that mean someone else owns your werewolf? How is that possible? He's on *your* account, isn't he?
I'd get this one. A 42-inch Plasma for for $1999 is a pretty good deal, I suppose.

But since that is way out of your stated budget, I can't recommend that. I can't really recommend anything since I have no experience with LCDs. But, if you were looking to shop there, and only shop there, the PL1700 17" LCD Monitor looks like it would be a good investment, since it falls within your budget.

This monitor from new egg seems to fit your price range, and has some good reviews. But, this is only from looking around on the net for a bit; monitor selection is like TV selection, you really have to go see it before you buy it. That is, unless you know exactly what you want, but in this case you don't.

So, my advice? Look around. Get the size that you feel most comfortable with, at the price you're comfortable paying at. Just because a monitor is on sale, doesn't mean you can't find a better price (or a better model, for that matter). Keep in mind when selecting a monitor, that a 17 inch LCD really is 17 inches of viewable space, whereas a 19 inch CRT is something like 18 inches of viewable space (in most cases). So, your choice to go from a 17 to a 15 inch LCD can also be based on your comfort level with that as well.

Just so you know, I'm a CRT guy right now, still waiting for a cheap good gaming LCD (although, I really don't need it since the only game I play is WoW these days). The best LCD for gaming out these days costs over 2g's...

Happy shopping!

EDIT: Stupid links...
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Personally, I like my CRT 19" actual screen, and would have to pay an arm and a leg for a 19" LCD. What I also like is these 3D glasses I once had (they broke) which allowed me to view ALL images in real 3D (not that silly red/blue thing) just like at the Honey I Shrunk the Kids ride at Disneyland.

So you know, there are many factors with an LCD screen. If I were you, I recommend going to www.pcworld.com or www.pcmagazine.com and checking out their rating on current LCD screens. Also, search Google to find out the latest info. on LCD's. It's well worth it as your NEW LCD might actually be worse than your current CRT.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Personally, I think you need to answer one question :

"Do I have the space and the lifting power for a CRT?"

If you do, get a CRT. If you don't, go with LCD. There really isn't anything better about them besides size/weight advantages. They don't sound like they go to better refresh rates or higher resolutions, so if you can fit a CRT, I'd always get one.

Unless you're one of those people who has a stupid passion for overpriced gimmicks. Then ... Go for it! You'll sure be a stallion with your wife that night!
My other mount is a Spiderdrake
In most cases, LCD monitors are much easier on the eye than CRTs, especially for reading. Sure, that's a subjective claim, but if you've ever read an article off of an LCD monitor, I'll wager you'd agree with me. It also helps that the refresh rate is locked, and the picture is more solid, when compared to CRT.

I'm not saying it's better; each one has their own niche. CRT for gaming, LCD for apps, that's usually how it goes (until the technologies meet each other in overall quality level). Personally, since I don't game much on my machine (WoW is the only thing, and I play that in a Window) so I'm looking to replacing my 21 and 19 inch monitors with some similar sized LCDs. I just have to wait until the price comes down a bit, because as much as I love gimmicks, I'm not a fan of them being over-priced.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 15 2004, 11:38 PM Wrote:In most cases, LCD monitors are much easier on the eye than CRTs, especially for reading. Sure, that's a subjective claim, but if you've ever read an article off of an LCD monitor, I'll wager you'd agree with me. It also helps that the refresh rate is locked, and the picture is more solid, when compared to CRT.
I'd have to disagree with that claim. Unless you have a horribly wrong refresh rate on a CRT (read: never use 60Hz) I don't see LCD's being easier on the eyes.

I will openly admit my ignorance though: Are laptop LCD monitors the same as stand alone desktop LCD monitors? My roomate has a desktop with an LCD and I don't notice a difference when I switch from this laptop to his.

I also have to admit my bias, I am the owner of a 21' Beast of a CRT monitor. For the asking price of 175$ I couldn't resist. I must agree with spider's summarization that if you have the space, get a CRT.

The screens also throw two different kinds of glare, and I must say I'm partial to the CRT glare, whether that be out of years of training, or for other reasons.

As for the reading an article? I've always prefered to use a CRT, and am sorely missing my CRT at school. Silly laptop LCD's.
I'd like to chime in.

I am in the market for a new monitor. Been looking at replacing my Apple Graphite 17 inch studio display.

My problem is this. LCD screens look like crap. With text. For some reason, text display just looks terrible on every single LCD screen I have ever seen. Fuzzy. Grainy. Blurry. Out of focus. And trying to read it gives me a viscious headache. The Apple LCDs are a bit better then most, but, still have this problem. Even laptop screens. I just can't stand them. Everything looks... Pixilated or something.

Has anybody found an LCD yet that does razor sharp crisp text like a CRT? I haven't. Looked at all sorts of displays.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
One thing to keep in mind is that LCD is a fixed pixel display so it cannot adjust itself to the incoming resolution. for this it relies on an internal scaler. the quality of wich will determin the quality of the display. (same goes for DLP and LCOS)
As others have pointed out the newer tecnologies just can't compeet with the tried and true CRT based displays. so unless your short on space you can go for a bigger, better CRT for less money!