Guild Wars?
Quote:What seems to be missing for me is the character building aspect of RPGs (or action RPGs), which is one of my favorite parts.
This could be simply because you were not allowed to gain levels in the E3 event. You started at level 15 and could not level at all. In fact, I don't have the slightest idea how the leveling system works in Guild Wars. In the October 29-31 event you will be allowed to level from 15-20.

Something does feel strange to me about "finding" your skills on the bodies of slain opponents in the form of gems, like you did in E3. ArenaNet has announced that you you will also be able to learn skills from enemies that use them. I don't know if the skill gems are still in the game, but I am assuming that they are. The skill system has been likened to Magic: The Gathering. To me, selecting your skill set before going into a mission did feel like building a Magic deck. However, fighting (thankfully) did not feel anything like playing Magic.

Character appearances will also be much more customizable than they were in the E3 event. ArenaNet hasn't announced what features will be tweakable, specifically, but more recent screenshots seem to suggest facial hair, hair color/style, many new faces, custom guild tabbards (Lurkers Guild anyone?:D), and possibly more dyes. Also, you may use dyes to color your armor, or mix dyes to create brand new colors. In the E3 event, silver and black dye were extremely valuable.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am hoping that the feeling of character building will be more pronounced in the final release. The October event will give us a better glimpse. I have a feeling that in the final release the ability to start from level 1, customize your character much further, choose from a huge variety of skills, and actually gain levels will give us that character-building feeling.
The error occurred on line -1.
In case anyone is interested, there is a journal of one player's experiences in the E3 demo. It's a great read, whether or not you played in the demo.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview...re/1/gameID/82/

Enjoy :)
Zippyy,Sep 13 2004, 06:51 AM Wrote:(Lurkers Guild anyone?:D)
I've never joined a guild in any game I've played but count me in if this one happens! If some of these people can be lured out of WoW into GW, I think we could have a guild to be envied.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Greetings Zippyy! Been a while...

I am interested in Guild War, as well as WoW, given the limited time I have for gaming nowadays, Guild War has an edge, for it requires no monthly fee.

If I do buy the game, I am interested in joining a guild, just not sure whether it will be DSF, RBD or LL.
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
Zippyy,Sep 13 2004, 03:51 AM Wrote:I am hoping that the feeling of character building will be more pronounced in the final release.
I could well be wrong, but my impression of GWs is that it's based on the idea of not having much character building, with success being more dependent on how you handle what you have, rather than on how much leveling you've done or what equipment you've acquired. After what I assume will be a pretty quick start-up period of building up your character, I don't know how much room will be left for the character building part. Nothing wrong with that -- it's a different kind of game (and one that seem fairly unique among RPGs in concept).
Soul! Damn, it has been a while. Good to hear from you again. I always loved your sig. :D

Quote:If I do buy the game, I am interested in joining a guild, just not sure whether it will be DSF, RBD or LL.
These are all relatively small communities, and the numbers who would be interested in Guild Wars even smaller, correct? If I am totally wrong, feel free to flame me for ignorance. Anyway, perhaps all three (and what about the Basin?) should get together and form a guild. Naming it would be a challenge, but we'd have much larger numbers.

This is getting out of hand! :P
Thecla @ Sep 13 2004, 04:56 PM Wrote:I don't know how much room will be left for the character building part. Nothing wrong with that
There sure isn't. What I was getting at was that the final release will have more in the way of character building than the E3 event did. There, you were stuck at level 15 with access to a very limited array of items and skills. Just about the only thing I'm worried about regarding Guild Wars is too little emphasis on character progress. Let's face it, one of the things that makes RPGs so enticing is the progress you make with your character. Whether it is gaining levels, finding new items, or learning skills, without them RPGs would not be nearly as fun.

Doing the above with a group of friends is even more fun, and I believe that is what makes MMO's so popular. Remove the progress and replace it with PVP and while it may still be fun, it won't have the same longevity.

Fortunately, all evidence points towards "progress" being readily had in Guild Wars. It will just not create as vast of an advantage for those who have countless hours to throw at the game, at least in PVP.
Zippyy I've taken some time to read what everyone has said and looked a bit at the web site. It looks very very interesting. I would love to attempt to join in this project. I will do what I can to accomplish this. I just hope it can work out that I can join in.

Life
It would be wonderful to have you, Life. I would miss you if you didn't come! :)

You should definately join in on the free beta October 29-31. That way you can try out the game and make sure it is something you want before you buy it. No risk and nothing to lose.

Everything to gain. B)
I want to be in the Guild too.
unrealshadow13,Sep 15 2004, 12:40 AM Wrote:I want to be in the Guild too.
When I dream, I wish for a pony.
I have actually been thinking about the requirements for admission. The system I came up with would require anyone wishing to join the guild to get a recommendation from a current member. This would go into effect after the guild has a decent amount of members, of course. Since everyone in the legit community is connected by at most around 3 degrees of separation (blatant estimate) I think this would be fair. If the person doesn't know any current members and are new to the community, a few posts on the guild forum or maybe even a chat with a leading member should suffice.

As far as a membership system, I was thinking that everyone should be more or less on an even standing. I hope the Guild Wars system doesn't require some sort of "ranking" system. There would be the 2-4 top members who handle administrative/organization stuff, then the members at large. Members' standing should be determined by their attitude and personality, not by whether they are a "Conscript" or a "Supreme Overlord Commander"

In the next few days I'm going to put an interest form on my site where people who might be interested in participating in a LL guild can sign up. Not an official sign up, just a way for me to figure out approximately how many people would be interested. When I get it up, I'll link to it here.

Also, I will make a post on the DSF, AB, and RBD forums with a summary of my intentions for the guild and a link to this thread.
Well, ya know what ya gotta do.

Nice seein' ya!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
The Basin and the Lounge joining together could be the "Amazons Lounging in a Lurker Basin Guild" or perhaps the "Lurking Amazons in a Basin Lounge Guild". :)
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 15 2004, 10:37 AM Wrote:The Basin and the Lounge joining together could be the "Amazons Lounging in a Lurker Basin Guild" or perhaps the "Lurking Amazons in a Basin Lounge Guild". :)
Or the "Amazon Lurkers" for short. But I like "Lurking Amazons" better.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Well, my root is the DSF, I am a variant scum, LL and AB communities are huge I feel like a stranger (LL many years ago felt much closer). But you know what you are doing Zippyy, so I will join ya if I get the game. ;)
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
The poll is now up. If you are interested in joining a guild with other members of the legit community, head over here and sign the form. All this does is give me an idea of how many people would be interested in participating.

If you have any problems with the form, please let me know. I'm still learning php and mysql.
Lurking Amazon's Guild (LAG) I really like that tag. :lol:

Occhi

P.S. We could also consider the New Order Lurking Amazon's Guild (NOLAG)

I'll stop, the caffeine is not being good to me this morning.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 17 2004, 10:25 AM Wrote:Lurking Amazon's Guild  (LAG)  I really like that tag.  :lol:

Occhi

P.S.  We could also consider the New Order Lurking Amazon's Guild (NOLAG)

I'll stop, the caffeine is not being good to me this morning.
:lol: That gets my vote Occhi !! :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
I concur! That name is terrific! We should definitely use it if a guild ever forms, although I think the LAG tag (not meant to sound funny) might be baulked out. Instead, the NOLAG version sounded better to me. Again, I do like that a lot!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin