A stupid, yet very interesting question
Hello all !

I'm not new to the game itself but yes to online playing with it.
Here's my question :

While my character evolve and is saved each time I leave the game, I'm always obliged to start a game from the beginning (we're two players playing together and create a new game each time) and it is a bit boring to always do the first levels again. Is there any way to unleash hell from further levels ? Begin in the catacombs for example instead of the dungeon ?

By the way another question :D We both have Diablo + last patch installed. Is there any free add-ons which could be good to install ?

Thanks in advance
Mr.Void
Mr.Void Wrote:While my character evolve and is saved each time I leave the game, I'm always obliged to start a game from the beginning (we're two players playing together and create a new game each time) and it is a bit boring to always do the first levels again. Is there any way to unleash hell from further levels ? Begin in the catacombs for example instead of the dungeon ?

For multiplayer, yes. Follow the path heading north from Griswold's shop (toward the Town Portal area) and keep walking. Between the Graveyard and the Cows, there's a small building that serves as a shortcut to the Catacombs. As you go visit Wirt, you'll find a shortcut to the Caves. Directly behind Pepin's house is a shortcut to Hell.

Quote:We both have Diablo + last patch installed. Is there any free add-ons which could be good to install ?

Can't think of any.

-Lemmy
Oh great ! I thought those entries were only available when you reach those levels by "normal" way !

Thanks !
Quote:Oh great ! I thought those entries were only available when you reach those levels by "normal" way !

In single player, you're correct. However, for multiplayer (as you're playing now), the entrances become available as soon as you achieve the proper character level ("clvl"). If you try to use it before then, your character will just back off and refuse to go down, iirc. Note that the clvl is checked on a per player basis, so a situation might arise in which you're eligible to go down, but your partner is a clvl lower and is not eligible to go down. In such a case, you can:
1) Play in an area he can directly enter
2) Wait for him to hike all the way down ;)
3) Go down and cast a Town Portal for him -- clvl is not checked when using a town portal, so even a level 1 could jump straight to hell via TP (but this would be unwise!)
� Wrote:Kp,Sep 9 2004, 03:43 PM]
In single player, you're correct.  However, for multiplayer (as you're playing now), the entrances become available as soon as you achieve the proper character level ("clvl").  If you try to use it before then, your character will just back off and refuse to go down, iirc.  Note that the clvl is checked on a per player basis, so a situation might arise in which you're eligible to go down, but your partner is a clvl lower and is not eligible to go down.  In such a case, you can:
1) Play in an area he can directly enter
2) Wait for him to hike all the way down ;)
3) Go down and cast a Town Portal for him -- clvl is not checked when using a town portal, so even a level 1 could jump straight to hell via TP (but this would be unwise!)
Thanks for these tips ! How can we know if we have achieve the proper character level ? Only by trying to enter directly or is there another way to know it ? We're both level 16 at this current moment.

Once again thanks for these informations.
Quote:Thanks for these tips ! How can we know if we have achieve the proper character level ? Only by trying to enter directly or is there another way to know it ? We're both level 16 at this current moment.

You could look it up in Jarulf's Guide, of course. It's the definitive source for answering factual Diablo questions.

Catacombs: 8
Caves: 13
Hell: 17

Also, note that Nightmare difficulty requires clvl 20 to join (but you can then go anywhere once inside), and Hell difficulty requires clvl 30. Beware that there is a Hell region and a Hell difficulty; the 17 refers to the region, the 30 to the difficulty. Blame Blizzard for the confusing nomenclature.
Mr.Void,Sep 9 2004, 05:48 AM Wrote:By the way another question  :D We both have Diablo + last patch installed. Is there any free add-ons which could be good to install ?
Well, there are none that you can use to play with on battle.net, BUT there are mods (short for modifications) for the game. Information on them can be found in the mods section of this site. Essentially what mods do is change various aspects of the game like monsters, items, magical attributes and more. I wouldn't worry about them too much just yet; Diablo itself is good enough to keep your attention for a while, but mods can provide an interesting take to the original.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Thanks all for your replies and help !
Just one more tidbit. IIRC in Hellfire SP the entrances are either saved or based on clvl, so when you start a new game with an old character you don't have to go through the dungeon starting from dlvl 1 again, unlike Diablo SP.
Less QQ more Pew Pew