From SETI to CETI?
Hi

We may not be alone:rolleyes: , check this article:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?...p?id=ns99996341

As far as I know New Scientist is reputable/serious, so what do you think.

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
IIRC, last time something like this happened, they found out it was the microwave. The one used to heat leftovers to edibility.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Assur,Sep 2 2004, 01:30 PM Wrote:...so what do you think.
I think we should take into consideration a particular news tibit from the following day.
YZilla,Sep 2 2004, 09:47 PM Wrote:I think we should take into consideration a particular news tibit from the following day.
Ah well, they say that hope dies last :(

I'll still try to follow the news, wouldn't be the first time some scientists got it wrong :P

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote: ...Korpela thinks it unlikely SHGb02+14a is the result of any obvious radio interference or noise, and it does not bear the signature of any known astronomical object.

That does not mean that only aliens could have produced it. "It may be a natural phenomenon of a previously undreamed-of kind like I stumbled over," says Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath, UK.

It was Bell Burnell who in 1967 noticed a pulsed radio signal which the research team at the time thought was from extraterrestrials but which turned out to be the first ever sighting of a pulsar.

Ignoring, for the moment, the BBC article mentioned earlier in this thread, the first thing that came to my mind upon reading the New Scientist article was similar to Jocelyn Bell Burnell's remark. There's so much in the universe that we have no knowledge or understanding of that to say some signal they picked up in deep space is artifical in nature, i.e. alien-made, would be premature at best.

The BBC says that there's no signal. If there is, or there isn't, it doesn't really matter. The scientists would still have to figure out what it is, if there's a signal at all. Then, after that, what then? Not like we can make a 1000 light year trip out there to visit the source of the phenomena.

So many logistical problems with space travel; short-term and short-range exploration is great and all, but until some sort of Star Trek-esque faster than light drive (or universe-bending drive) is invented, any signals we receive from deep space will do nothing more than to make ignorant people scared. I sure do love science, heck I base my life around it, but people aren't ready for proof of aliens.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I read an article in saturdays newspaper (in dutch) which discusses about the fact if aliens would use radiowaves to try to contact other planets.
Some people thought that was highly unlickely considering the enormous amount of energy it costs to continuously keep transmitting.
Most probably (if they try to contact us at all, (if they are there at all)) they use some other ways of signalling we don't even know about......
(virussen that change our DNA......etc)