Video Game Manuals
While looking through the manual for Doom 3, I noticed two pages in the back that were completely blank aside from the word "notes" at the top of them. I suppose I can see the pros of having a place to write down notes pertaining to the game, especially if any access codes, clues, etc. are given for whatever game one is playing. But does anyone actually USE those things?

It seems the "notes" pages are a standard in the industry... I'm just curious why that is.
See you in Town,
-Z
Most likely for the reasons you already listed: a place for players to write down things they need to remember about the game and/or passwords. I've used it myself for certain games (mostly graphic adventures, even going into Notebooks when it came to Myst) but since most players don't even bother to *read* the manual, they usually don't bother with it.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
I think the combinations to the lockers do not change and there are many. Good place to note them when you find them for use in later replays.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Zarathustra,Aug 30 2004, 09:52 PM Wrote:It seems the "notes" pages are a standard in the industry... I'm just curious why that is.
Those "notes" pages are simply the result of the printing process.

You see there are certain standard sizes for professional printing. So depending on the size of the sheet that is used and the total number of pages of the endproduct, that leads to unused space = otherwise empty pages.
Based on the above figures you will usually see the total numer of pages being a multiple of 8 or 16 (including the "notes" pages; while a "page" for that matter is the front and the back)

In other words, those "notes" pages simply exist, because it is cheaper to have the whole product printed on as few sheets possible instead of having just one set of pages per sheet. (It's a matter of storing the printed / cut segments before final assembly that is too expensive for "low volume"-products like booklets)

Greetings
Dave
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
I like reading the manuals at least once. If they have reference tables, more than once. Oftentimes there is history or other information that adds to the game atmosphere. Sometimes the manual isn't really necessary, especially if there's a good online help system, or the game is easy to figure out. Still, some things I've seen players get frustrated over, for not being able to figure them out, are printed clearly in the manual.

I don't usually use the notes pages, if there are any. Either the game is easy enough to remember, or I take more extensive notes than will fit on those pages. There have been one or two games I've used the notes pages with though. Regardless of why they're there, I appreciate having the option.
I've used the notes section before on console games' manuals; some games used long alpha numeric codes as "saves". The right code would allow you to start playing where you left off(well, near the same place anyway). It was handy to have them in the booklet, so that I would have the codes forever, if I ever decided to play the game again.

Not that I can ever find the booklet I want though....