Colors
What if everybody saw a different color for every color but we all thought they were the same? Like say my black is like what you see for your blue, but you still call it blue and it looks like blue you know? And there's no way we can tell because even if we like change eyes maybe its like in our brain. So like your brown could be my yellow and stuff and everybody is all like seeing different colors relative to other people, and nobody would be able to find out. It's like a conspiracy.
Are you high?
No...
Are you drunk?
o.O what's your problem?? Respond to the topic, not the person...
unrealshadow13,Aug 13 2004, 11:28 PM Wrote:o.O what's your problem?? Respond to the topic, not the person...
O.o

The last time I heard someone posing the exact same "OMG DEEP THOUGHT", he was incredibly high and drunk. In fact, I've been witness to literally dozens of conversations involving that topic and nary a one was initiated by a sober person.

I'm not saying it's a stupid topic, but in my experience only drunk and/or stoned people are interested in it.

o.O
Hi,

OK, you want a serious reply?

Ultimately we "see" with our brain. PET and MRI scans have been done while people were shown solid colors and mixed colors. All people with "normal" color vision activated approximately the same parts of the brain in the same manner under the same stimulus.

More advanced tests have been done with cats and frogs. Frogs mostly see motion. I forget what the story with cats was. Dogs are (IIRC) color blind.

So, "nobody would be able to find out" is just your way of saying "I don't know, so nobody knows." If you are really interested in the subject, I have a word for you and that word is 'Google'.

A serious reply? You don't want a serious reply. You can't handle a serious reply.

(with apologies to Col. Nathan R. Jessup)

:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

You just gave me a serious reply what are you talking about I can't handle it.

While we are on the subject of deep thinking, what if everybody wasn't real except for me (in your case, you) like the world was like created for you and everybody else was just a robot or something.
unrealshadow13,Aug 14 2004, 01:30 AM Wrote:While we are on the subject of deep thinking, what if everybody wasn't real except for me (in your case, you) like the world was like created for you and everybody else was just a robot or something.
Are you high?
Actually, Scirus would probably deliver more relevant hits :P

And I believe that dogs see in limited color, but are not quite color-blind. Not totally certain on that, though.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
unrealshadow13,Aug 14 2004, 04:30 AM Wrote:You just gave me a serious reply what are you talking about I can't handle it.

While we are on the subject of deep thinking, what if everybody wasn't real except for me (in your case, you) like the world was like created for you and everybody else was just a robot or something.
Can I buy pot from you? :huh:
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
unrealshadow13,Aug 13 2004, 11:30 PM Wrote:While we are on the subject of deep thinking, what if everybody wasn't real except for me (in your case, you) like the world was like created for you and everybody else was just a robot or something.
While we are on the subject of deep thinking, if you are attempting to sound philosophical and intellectual, sentences using colloquialisms like "like" or "or something" generally make you sound quite the opposite. At least be affirmative in your question. How can you expect serious answers from a non serious question?

Here's the difference between true deep thinking, and shallow attempts at deep thinking: Take a second to think "Does this question matter, and where does the answer get me." If we all see different red's, but all identify it as red, then great: why does this matter? If you were the only thing real, could you prove it? Does it make the world appear any less different?

I hold epistemological questions in high regard (questions relating to our capicity and ability to learn or attain knowledge), which comes as no surprise seeing that one of my majors is Philosophy. I'm not trying to dog you for the sake of dogging you. And I especially am not trying to make philosophy appear elitist. But I am saying you have to have some foresight into your questions before you ask them, especially when asking about something 'deep.'

I hope this post doesnt fall on deaf ears.

Cheers,

Munk
On a related topic, I've always wondered about language connections. When I was very young, I thought it would be awfully dandy to bring up a child where you use the word "cow" instead of "woman" and all sorts of silly things like that. But then later I realised how many languages there are and more came to wonder if we ever have language overlaps where people from other countries sound like they're asking to do something profane while ordering some hummus.

To my sorrow, no such sentences have ever shown up. I should probably travel more.
My other mount is a Spiderdrake
Quote:While we are on the subject of deep thinking, what if everybody wasn't real except for me (in your case, you) like the world was like created for you and everybody else was just a robot or something.

Or, something... It is good to take your brain out for a walk once in a while. Start with Plato, and then Aristotle, and if you are further curious press on to A Primer on Existentialism, and then Locke, Hume on Empiricism, and Francis Bacon.

And, before you ask "... then are we all just cogs in some larger cosmic machine";

Determinism vs. indeterminism
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

DeeBye,Aug 13 2004, 09:12 PM Wrote:Are you high?
DeeBye,Aug 13 2004, 09:19 PM Wrote:Are you drunk?

Fair's fair - are you? ;)
I have evidence that he is.

[Image: windsorstarbd.jpg]
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

You Kan't forget Kant! :P
Give him a break - he's only Hume-an. :lol:
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Here are some other things to ponder or interject into the conversation while drunk or high;
  • To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
    <>
  • I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas.
    <>
  • I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
    <>
  • If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
    <>
  • Instead of trying to build newer and bigger weapons of destruction, we should be thinking about getting more use out of the ones we already have.
    <>
  • I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.
    <>
  • It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.<>
    [st]All courtesy of Jack Handy. And, this one makes a good closer;
    Quote:Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
    --Jack Handy

Hi,

Instead of trying to build newer and bigger weapons of destruction, we should be thinking about getting more use out of the ones we already have.

When I was at Los Alamos the first time, back in '75, I met a man who'd been there since the start, first as a military guard and later working in security. He pointed out that the military was much more efficient than civilians. When the military was in charge of Los Alamos, they built three bombs and used two. After the civilians took over, they build thousands and used none. :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?