Auto character rollback?
I had a very wierd experience last week. I played a new character for a while and half way through I got kicked out of my game (usual battlenet behavior). When I got back in a new one,I played quite happily for several hours (going from level 10 to level 17 or so and finishing off the latter half of act 1 and the start of act 2). When I went to play the character again three days later, all of the experience, progress, items from the second half of my session had disappeared (I was back at level 10 with none of the quests completed and still in act 1). This was several hours worth of playing. More puzzling than anything else (although somewhat annoying, at least it was a low level character so it wasn't like I'd found anything incredible).

I haven't found anything pointing to a battle.net rollback having occurred...

I wonder if the character was not saved at any point during my session (since it still showed the pre-session level afterwards on the character selection screen, but it sometimes does that and there is no problem). This still seems very odd (two+ hours without a single save, and none on exit?)
---
Ebony Flame
Quote:This still seems very odd (two+ hours without a single save, and none on exit?)

This is uncommon, but not unheard of. I've had the same thing happen a handful of times since D2 was released. Some players advocate save and exiting after finding a particularly rare item, to try to force the save. Sometimes even that won't do it. I've lost upwards of 4 hours(and 3 acts) before. Just have to grin and bare it I think.

I'm thankful it doesn't happen often.
If I remember correctly, talking to a townsfolk NPC is supposed to automatically save your character.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Not the first time Ive seen this kind of post.

The only explanation I can find for that is that you didnt save or when you saved/exited it didnt really save.
MikethemizJR,Oct 31 2004, 03:38 PM Wrote:Not the first time Ive seen this kind of post.

The only explanation I can find for that is that you didnt save or when you saved/exited it didnt really save.
[right][snapback]58702[/snapback][/right]
I've never experienced a rollback before. I think that bnet just periodically rolls back characters kinda like an extended period of lag, only dealing with the character portion of it. You know how you run into the black walls, and then the game catches up to where you are, and then you die since everyone hits so hard that you have to either leech or dodge to stay alive.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.