A quick one, while they are away
Hi all:

Apparently, someone gooned up the "web sense" thing and they have to re load it. That means that for a while, I can post here, maybe an hour or two.

Here is the deal: can't talk about work. Interesting, but for another time. My memoirs perhaps.

Qatar: hot and, blast it, HUMID. It's not just a dry heat, it's a hot and wet heat at 120, per yesterday. I thank Westinghouse for the invention of AC.

Doha is an odd city. Folks here only began driving since about the 1970's, ish, so it is a bit like Naples, Italy, only crazier. I am now a certified driving instructor, which means my days as a flight instructor -- teaching someone how to do something darned dangerous, and, trusting them, are being again put to use.

Doha is also where someone with a lot of dough was obviously approached by a series of architects who had breat ideas. Result is a puzzling though not entirely displeasing combination of buildings down on the Corniche, which is the main boulevard that wraps around the bay in the capital city.

The Emir's crib is only about 7 times as big as the White House, but then, he's got a bunch of wives, so of course he needs more room, to deconflict spousal fires. (Darn, there is work sneaking in again!) Have not yet been to the gold souks, they were off limits for a while due to some terror threat or something, I forget which, but I will be getting Mrs Occhi some earrings and such before I go home. She don't read this forum, safe to say that. :)

Am heading out to a Turkish restaurant tonight, been to a couple of Lebanese restaurants (3 x days out in town in 4 months, work rest of the time) and I love what those folks do with lamb. And, for that matter, an avocado. A schwarma beats a burrito any day, I might add.

Have found out that once again, when hanging around Brits, one better keep a weather eye toward aspirin bottles. A few nights ago, my favorite weatherman had his going away bash at the Brit pub (a tent with coolers and beer, basically) and I was mucho reminded that I am no longer a young tough guy when it comes to recovering from four too many. Ouch, got 9 and 1/2 hours sleep last night, and boy do I feel better! Yesterday was brutal, what with generals breathing down my neck and all that rot.

As to the media reports on what I am involved in, and on the Dem (and soon the Rep) conventions, I can only say

"The words of an idiot, all sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Not sure I got that quote right, but I must post in haste or the portal will close.

Rogue sends Warmest Regards to all Lurkers.

Y'all be good now, y'hear?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Aug 9 2004, 10:49 AM Wrote:Hi all:

Apparently, someone gooned up the "web sense" thing and they have to re load it.  That means that for a while, I can post here, maybe an hour or two.

Here is the deal: can't talk about work.  Interesting, but for another time.  My memoirs perhaps.

Qatar: hot and, blast it, HUMID.  It's not just a dry heat, it's a hot and wet heat at 120, per yesterday.  I thank Westinghouse for the invention of AC.

Doha is an odd city.  Folks here only began driving since about the 1970's, ish, so it is a bit like Naples, Italy, only crazier.  I am now a certified driving instructor, which means my days as a flight instructor -- teaching someone how to do something darned dangerous, and, trusting them, are being again put to use.

Doha is also where someone with a lot of dough was obviously approached by a series of architects who had breat ideas.  Result is a puzzling though not entirely displeasing combination of buildings down on the Corniche, which is the main boulevard that wraps around the bay in the capital city. 

The Emir's crib is only about 7 times as big as the White House, but then, he's got a bunch of wives, so of course he needs more room, to deconflict spousal fires.  (Darn, there is work sneaking in again!)  Have not yet been to the gold souks, they were off limits for a while due to some terror threat or something, I forget which, but I will be getting Mrs Occhi some earrings and such before I go home. She don't read this forum, safe to say that. :)

Am heading out to a Turkish restaurant tonight, been to a couple of Lebanese restaurants (3 x days out in town in 4 months, work rest of the time) and I love what those folks do with lamb.  And, for that matter, an avocado.  A schwarma beats a burrito any day, I might add.

Have found out that once again, when hanging around Brits, one better keep a weather eye toward aspirin bottles.  A few nights ago, my favorite weatherman had his going away bash at the Brit pub (a tent with coolers and beer, basically) and I was mucho reminded that I am no longer a young tough guy when it comes to recovering from four too many.  Ouch, got 9 and 1/2 hours sleep last night, and boy do I feel better!  Yesterday was brutal, what with generals breathing down my neck and all that rot.

As to the media reports on what I am involved in, and on the Dem (and soon the Rep) conventions, I can only say

"The words of an idiot, all sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Not sure I got that quote right, but I must post in haste or the portal will close.

Rogue sends Warmest Regards to all Lurkers.

Y'all be good now, y'hear?

Occhi
Ue Occhi, back again? (well at least for a quick post). So when are you ctually coming back? With the US presidential elections coming soon, there is quite some debating going on here in the lounge. (all starting with Michael Moore's movies).

So for now good luck over there, take care, and hope to see you around on the lounge as often as you can.

eppie.
From memory:

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
creeps in this petty pace from day to day
to the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
the way to dusty death. Out out, brief candle!
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player
that struts and frets his hour upon the stage
and then is heard no more. It is a tale,
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
signifying nothing."

I think that's the closest I can get without actually having to look it up ;)

Good to hear from you, Occhi! I hope to read first hand of your experiences in the war. Good luck!
Keep your head down and bow at the ready.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
No place like the middle east eh Occhi?

Sure humidity reach 70+ on a regular basis and having a temperature of below 30C degrees is rare but we sure do know how to eat! Without Schwarma my world would've been a whole lot harder :)

So, when are you coming Occhi? The forums don't seem as alive without their Overcaffeinated Rogue
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Glad you're ok (if hot) :)

You missed some nice opportunities (Imp Shanks, Dupeingmakesbabyjesuscry and wankerwriting), I would have appreciated some of your leet napalm skillz, but no, you have to take an extended sun-bathing vacation :P

Be safe! (Slán!)

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
:D Hurry back Occhi and safe journey ! Congrats on your brief escape :D !
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Just in case they haven't yet discovered that our friendly Rogue has stealthed through their defenses - I hope all is going as well as can be expected so far from home and loved ones. Oh, and watch out for all that sand, it gets in all the cracks. :blink:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hot weather is cool, but humid.... bleh.

Come back soon safely!
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:So, when are you coming Occhi? The forums don't seem as alive without their Overcaffeinated Rogue
Indeed. Hurry back Occhi! Find Mrs. Occhi something very nice, I'm sure she is missing you more than us. B)
Sir_Die_alot,Aug 11 2004, 02:36 PM Wrote:I'm sure she is missing you more than us.
How could she be missing us, she doesn't read the forum :P
*we are.

*punts whybish* :lol:
Applies ice pack to punt impact site, scowls at mean Sir Die alot and mutters:

"Naughty dies alot, naughy dies alot, wandering about and punting people!"
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Aug 16 2004, 04:15 AM Wrote:Applies ice pack to punt impact site
Can't have been too damaging, I had a health check today, and the only things they found wrong were high blood pressure, and bad diet... unless I kept the impact site under wraps ;)
Did not adversely impact your ability to emigrate to our insane country.

You still coming over, or are you still battling the bureaucratic hordes? I'd bring a Staff of the Apocalypse were I you, them guys can regenerate like crazy, and even "gate in other demons" now and again!

Hmmm, worries about Bureaucrat XP as a possible new life form. Blech!
In Memory of Pete
Unfortunately this year has been a year of plans gone astray. I was planning on heading to China for a year, but that fell through. My curent plan (although this is in the fuzzy stage) is to head to the U.S. for 12 weeks starting in Mar-Apr (not sure if this is a good time for I.T.), and if I can't find anything there, head to Perth or Cairns and settle down (Since Kiwis still have automatic citizenship in Aus.). Just building up the funds at the moment and trying to finish my Chinese studies.

The bureaucracy is good, it keeps out all us evil foreigners that want to steal American jobs ... perhaps I should become a refugee.
. . . like a refugee! (Old Tom Petty Lyric.)

Chances are, you'll do OK. However, hopping a boat from Haiti might be helpful . . . post hurricaine Charley, the Coast Guard is probably not watching too closely. Sneak in!
In Memory of Pete
Oh, no. He'll end up at Gitmo standing on a box naked with a hood on being asked "probing" questions in Arabic.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(nice segue, rogue) . . . Martha Stewart and her reservations at the Danbury prison in CT. Are we going to be "treated" to, on global TV, a similar set of "bag over the head undressed shots" of her prison stay as the Feds interrogate and probe for "where's all the money" "what other insider information do you have hidden" etc.

EEEEEEEEEEEP!! Bad Visual!!!! Make it stop!!!

Gawd, I sincerely HOPE NOT!

Crazed Rogue
In Memory of Pete
Well, it would seem that our "Rouge with a Heart" has managed to slip through at least a few times. Perhaps the
Quote:someone
who
Quote:gooned up the "web sense" thing
was surreptiously slipped an elixer of gooning?

*quickly ducks behind a Tower Shield of the Ages before he can be peppered with arrows for impertinence*
:P
Quality over quantity.
- BruceGod -