Diablo 3 Rumored
News Quote from Diabloii.net:

Quote:For some fun rumor news, FatBoyTim mails to tell us that the September 04 issue of PC Gamer UK, says the following, in their "Eyewitness Undercover" column on page 24:

"And to complete the sequel spillage, another leaky mouth has revealed to The Spy that the next Diablo installment is underway at Blizzard."

Believe it or not! Also, given that practically everyone involved in the design of D1, D2, and D2X have since left Blizzard North to form various other gaming companies, do we even want a D3? Oh who am I kidding... of course we want to believe the rumor!
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I'll take Mixed Emotions for a thousand, Alex!
All that left from Diablo 1 and 2 is the name now. Vivindi would be foolish not to cash in on it.
I bet 100:1 that this rumor is true! :D
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I would like to see a good dungeon crawl with Doom3 interiors and Far Cry exteriors (only moodier). :) I'm hoping HL2 gets the interior/exterior balance right.

The 3D graphics bar has been set pretty high, and I'm not sure a 3D(2D) orthagonal projection based game like DiabloII would measure up anymore. It will probably be a MMORPG though. Too bad.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

It will probably be a MMORPG though.

I actually think that would be great, if they kept the Diablo "moodiness". The flippant humor and cartoonish graphics of WoW is one of the things I've got against that game. But I doubt that Blizzard (or, most likely, Vivendi) would allow a product onto the market that directly competes with one of their other products. And, after all, Blizzard is the dog and Buzzard is but the tail.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

kandrathe,Aug 6 2004, 04:49 PM Wrote:It will probably be a MMORPG though.
I don't think so.

Last RTS game: WarCraft III + TFT

Last MMORPG: WoW

Next (Action-)RPG: Diablo III :)
Um... No. I'm familiar with PCGUK, and that particular column.

Contents for said column are grounded in two camps:

1) Plainly obvious news that has been doing the rounds on th'internet for a month or two already.
2) Wild rumours. About 99% of which never come to reality, or were completely and utterly wrong in the first place.

Since 1) has not come to light so far, don't get your hopes up.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hi

Just adding my 2 cents.

It was in Gamestar (Germany) a few months ago that so many people had left Blizzard North that they had to kill one of the two projects they were working on and that the surviving project was D3.

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Based upon their record, why would anyone buy another Blizzard game as long as Vivendi is their parent corp.? DOOMIII and HL2 is where I'll spend my money and I'll stick w/Morrowind as my Diablo replacement. Let Vivendi/Universal rot. The only thing I miss from Diablo is bartering!
Please.

Guild Wars is Diablo III. Or, rather, it is what Diablo III (assuming there isn't one already in development) would be, though perhaps without such a heavy emphasis on PvP play. Guild Wars is something of an MMORPG/ARPG hybrid, and that would be natural next step in the Diablo evolution.

My bet is that Starcraft 2 will consume most of their resources - the original is heralded as the most balanced RTS ever crafted, and the fanbase's size is beyond words. Besides, everyone knows that the Protoss are the coolest race ever to be in an RTS.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I think that Starcraft 2 will take a long time to come out, as there are still working on Starcraft Ghost. Also, it's probaly pretty huge shoes for SC2 to fill as it took years of patching to make Starcraft very (not perfectly, of course) balanced.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
IIRC, Ghost is being worked on by an entirely different division unrelated of the one which created Starcraft and Diablo, namely Blizzard North, which is working on WoW at the moment.
Assur,Aug 6 2004, 12:18 PM Wrote:Hi

Just adding my 2 cents.

It was in Gamestar (Germany) a few  months ago that so many people had left Blizzard North that they had to kill one of the two projects they were working on and that the surviving project was D3.

good karma
I heard the same rumor. Remember W-A-Y back when they first annouced Star Craft Ghost (WoW was already announced) and Blizzard said they had another "secret" project they were working that no one knew about on other than Star Craft Ghost, and it wasn't WoW either? Well, I believe it wad Diablo III and Blizzard recently said they had dropped a game there were recently working on, other than Star Craft Ghost. This leads me to believe it was Diablo III what was dropped.

I don't think there will be another Diablo. If there is, it won't be anything like it was before. They may have new talent, but the ones who really understand the game and who created it are no more.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:The 3D graphics bar has been set pretty high, and I'm not sure a 3D(2D) orthagonal projection based game like DiabloII would measure up anymore. It will probably be a MMORPG though. Too bad.

Please no! Use good 3D-graphics, but please, please make the view isometric. Ego-perspective is good for FPS, but I hate it in a RPG/Action-RPG.
Nope, WoW and Ghost are Blizzard South. Blizzard North hasn't had an announced project for years.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I was under the impression that Blizzard North has been left all but dead with the leaving of all of the employees that formed Arena.net and Obsidian Entertainment.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I like the way it works in Morrowind - Tab key toggle between first person and vanity mode (follow cam). Aiming arrows, and spells is best done in first person mode.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:They may have new talent, but the ones who really understand the game and who created it are no more.
You might be giving the programmers too much credit. Give any die hard Diablo fanboy a handful of good programmers, some with Torque experience, about 10 good 3DMax modelers, 10 artists skilled at texturing, and vertex weighting, and a few story artists. I bet anyone of us could conceive of a Diablo III in the caliber of at least Doom3.

My point is that it is content and design that make a game great -- the programmers have the mechanical part of making the vision a reality. Today's 3D engines handle collisions, physics, AI, even the multiplayer netcode.

Off-topic, but if Obsidian is ex-Blizzard, maybe NWN 2 will be even better than the first?

Obsidian Entertainment

Press Release
Roland *The Gunslinger*