Another question for school...
Since there are a number of people on here with more knowledge of United Nations processes than myself, I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this question:

Do resolutions relating to women's issues have to be ratified by the Security Council? I am most interested in whether the recent 1995 Beijing declaration had to be ratified by the Security Council before it could be passed as a United Nations mandate? I've been trying to find the answer to this question for two straight days and have found nothing. I guess that it all hinges on whether women's issues are categorized as "substantive" by the UN, but I can't find a listing of such categorizations that goes into any detail either. That being said, I have found one listing that mentions "human rights" issues as being substantive, so...?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Hi

Google [United Nations mandate 1995 Beijing declaration] results, hope this helps: ;)

Results 1 - 10 of about 16,100 for United Nations mandate 1995 Beijing declaration

Quote:Commission on the Status of Women-Follow-up to Beijing and Beijing ...
... The Commission's mandate was expanded in 1987 by the ... Following the 1995 Fourth World Conference on Women, the ... a gender perspective in United Nations activities ...

www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/

Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, Fourth World ...
... 1995) and A/CONF.177/20/Add.1 (1995). ... the Advancement of Women of the United Nations Secretariat, as ... subsidiary bodies that have a specific mandate to promote ...

www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/bejing6.htm

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
It does help and thanks. It's surprisingly hard to find any information about actual United Nations processes. They can tell you about everything that's gone through, but as far as standard protocols by which resolutions, declarations, and conventions are passed, all that I've found is snippets like the one you've unearthed. Thanks again though, that one makes it pretty clear that the security council's approval wasn't necessary.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Hi

I would go to the Source: http://www.un.org/english/

Quote:You hear about the United Nations (U.N.) constantly in the news, although you might not always realize it. For example:

How stuff Works/How the United Nations Works !!!

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.