Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
From the "Star Wars" newsletter:

Quote:This Saturday, Lucasfilm put an end to the speculation and announced the full title for the next Star Wars film. Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith is scheduled for release on May 19, 2005. So, who are the Sith? How did the announcement happen? Check the full story on starwars.com.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Oh yay! Yet another chance to see how Lucas has gone mad and is blinded by CGI glitter and horrible acting. I say Feh to episodes 1, 2 and 3 and Feh to Lucas for not realizing his mistakes with those first two abominations that bore the title Star Wars.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Looks like I won't be seeing it until December 2005 when it comes out on the Purdue movie channel and I get to watch it for free. The first two were abominations to everything Star Wars. It's like watching a big cartoon with really bad voice acting. I like Star Wars, but refuse to acknowledge these as beneficial to the series.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I was in fact so put off by the first one that I ended up only seeing the second one at friends house and was very happy to not have paid to watch it. I think a lot of it was like a giant add for a Nintendo game, I mean Yoda flying around and that scene on the conveyer belt? Please...it reminded me of Sonic the Hedgehog.

The story is also very questionable. The Jedi Council deserved to be wiped out if they were too stupid to free Anakin's mother from slavery as soon as practicable after they picked him up, dumbasses. Not sure I am fond of Annie (why on earth would he let people call him that...well I suppose he hasn't seen the movie Annie lol) becoming Darth Vader primarily due to an administrative oversight.
Why else do you think Anakin turned to the Dark Side? The answer is obvious, he was so frickin' pissed off by everyone calling him "Annie" that he went Sith on them just so he could change his name to a Darth.

I have a good mind to create a short film montage of scenes from Eps 1 and 2 that are dubbed over with Alec Guinness' lines from Episode 4 as Obiwan remembers his old friend Anakin.

"He was a cunning warrior" — imposed to the scenes where Anakin rushes mindlessly in to take on Dooku and gets his arm slashed off less than a minute in.

"...And a good friend" — to the scene where Anikan tells Amidala "...I'm better than him, you know. ..."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
They won't do this, but IMO Ani's desent into the dark side should have been based on Obi's actions in Ep1. Obi had to draw on the dark side of the force (his anger over Qui's death) to defeast Darth Maul. As a result, Obi would have become tainted by the dark side.

This could have been passed into Ani's training, sowing the seeds of the dark side growing inside him.

But feh, they choose some kind of love interest that for some reason wouldn't work....
Quote:Yet another chance to see how Lucas has gone mad and is blinded by CGI glitter and horrible acting.

This isn't what has bothered me about the movies. The acting and storylines IMO are pretty much on the same level (who can forget "you reble scum!" or "I am your father.") and the original starwars was all about pushing special effect technology. No, what is missing is good dialog. I mean has ep1 or 2 ever had something like "I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee!" or one of my favorites "When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not." No we get crap like "I'd hate to upset a senator" and prissy 3PO's "I'm scrap". Even I can write better dialog than that: 3PO- "Oh dear! This just won't do". The highlight of ep1 and ep2 dialog was 3PO saying "This is such a drag". Blah. <_<
Actually that portion of the movie is fairly close to how it happens in the actual cannon...though unfortunatly whats his name who sleeps through anakins roll and the other guy who attempts to play Obi-Wan but really overdoes it just makes everything look like hell. Everything is soo rediculiously heavy-handed that it almost seems childish, rather than the slow decent toward the dark that comes from anakins slight inability to deal with every part of the jedi code.

But hey, thats what you get when you have a movie set without acting coaches and a screenplay that includes "Minichlorians"
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

Quote:The acting and storylines IMO are pretty much on the same level (who can forget "you reble scum!" or "I am your father.") and the original starwars was all about pushing special effect technology.

Now hey, I know it wasn't the epitome of shakesperian theater or anything, but episodes 4-6 at least had actors who could convincly display emotion and chemistry (Episode 5 while in the Asteroid Feild for one example, and while the "I am your Father" line might have been a little corny, Hamil convincingly portreys someone whos world had just meen shattered).

And I never had any problem with the fact that lucas wants the movie to look pretty, I just have a problem with the fact that he wants it to look pretty before the acting, dialogue and characters are worked through and completely polished. (Which is even worse from Natalie Portman, who has shown in other movies that she actually *can* act)
-Urza

Rhydderch Hael,Jul 30 2004, 05:17 AM Wrote:I have a good mind to create a short film montage of scenes from Eps 1 and 2 that are dubbed over with Alec Guinness' lines from Episode 4 as Obiwan remembers his old friend Anakin.
Michael Moore?
Huh?

Just a demonstration to ol' Georgie that he's lost contact with the backstory he subtly laid into his first Star Wars movie.

Bet he'll have Anakin kill off Amidala before the end credits of Ep III roll, and completely forgetting that Leia remembers her mother from childhood.

In the backstory of Ep IV you're lead to believe that Anakin, Owen Lars, and Baru spent any decent amount of time growing up together. Ep II shows the trio as absolute strangers. How in hell does Owen shrug and accept taking up Luke's stewardship from a step-brother he's met briefly only once in his life?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Since the age difference is so much between 2 and 4, that gives plenty of time for people to get to know each other.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Funny, I don't quite see Darth Vader dropping by to Tatooine in his advanced hyperspace-capable TIE fighter to chat up Uncle Owen and see how the little snot Luke is faring.

And the whole "I'm a Jedi knight" 'thang certainly kept Anakin off the rock for as long as the time between Eps 1 and 2. And thanks to what we've seen in those prequel episodes, I don't see how much can possibly change in the interim to Episode 3 that will make Anakin hang around a world he associates with his own version of suffering and death for any longer than business demands of him.

In fact, it makes some sense to hide Luke out on Tatooine, if that's the one last place that Darth Vader would ever desire to set foot upon again. That's the sort of character aspect you'd associate with a man dead-set determined never to have any business, with anyone, on that world ever again.
Like any movie that I want to see, it has to come out during finals. And right before boards.

But the CGI looks so much better on the big screen! =P
Scientist by Day
Sorceress by Night