Vangelis,Ennio Morricone,Jean M. Jarre
Does anyone listen to Vangelis/Morricone/Jarre?
Do you like this kind of music?
edited
Only in soundracks, more or less. Some of them (Blade Runner, The Good the Bad and the Ugly) are real classics.

Since when is Ennio Morricone in the same category as Jean-Michael Jarre?

Jester
edited
Jester,Jul 24 2004, 11:33 PM Wrote:Only in soundracks, more or less. Some of them (Blade Runner, The Good the Bad and the Ugly) are real classics.

Since when is Ennio Morricone in the same category as Jean-Michael Jarre?

Jester
Jarre is not in the same category as Morricone,still they make instrumental music ;)
I went to concert to see Jarre and Morricone a few years ago;as Vangelis doesn't organize concerts outside Greece,I have never seen him :(

If any of you doesn't know Jarre,and if you like new age style/synthesizer music,I advise you to listen to his first 2 albums "oxygene" and "equinoxe"

As to Vangelis,I advise "themes","themes 2" (these are compilations) and "voices"
Are they popular in the States ?
Abramelin,Jul 24 2004, 11:25 PM Wrote:Does anyone listen to Vangelis/Morricone/Jarre?
I haven't heard about Vanglies or this Jean Mr. Jarre, but I like some of Morricone's stuff. I have both The Ecstacy of Gold and Theme from The Mission in my winamp playlist. I've been scouring the Internet for years looking for a brass arrangement for the former song. I play percussion in a brass band here in Norway, and I would die a happy boy if I could get the chance to play Morricone's majestic masterpiece.

I'm more of a John Williams & Harry-Gregson Williams-kind of guy myself. I love the soundtracks from films such as The Rock and Jurassic Park.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
First off, I'm in the States, and out of the hundreds of people that I've known over the years, only a handful know of these artists.

I have heard both Jarre and Vangelis, but not Morricone. I like some of Vangelis' work, but prefer Jarre hands-down.

I have a few of Jarre's albums on CD, including Oxygene and Equinoxe on gold CD (ultradisc II), Magnetic Fields (French titles), Rendez-vous, Revolutions, Chronologie, Oxygene 7-13 and Metamorphoses. I used to have Zoolook but gave it away. New CDs that I'd like to check out are Geometry of Love and AERO (due to be released this September.)

His father, Maurice Jarre, has done various soundtracks, including the one for Ghost. Jean Michel's son first appeared on the Rendez-vous album playing a keyboard.

I also have a few Vangelis CDs, including Direct, The City, Themes and the Bladerunner Soundtrack.

Another artist you didn't mention, but who is in a similar vein as far as instrumentals goes, is Mannheim Steamrollers, known for their Fresh Aire series. I have I through VII (1-7).

I had Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells once upon a time, but lost it or gave it away. I haven't missed it.

P.S. Anyone curious about Jarre can visit his Official Website.
Quote:I have heard both Jarre and Vangelis, but not Morricone.

You never heard of Ennio Morricone? He made the music for at least two dozen "must see" movies (the latest was Kill Bill 2). He is one of the best composers of film music, and most known for his work on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in America

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001553/
Hi,

I own a best-of-Vangelis CD and don't really know Morricone, but I love Jean-Michel Jarre! I have all of his studio CDs, and except his later works (Metamorphoses), they are great. Zoolook especially is fantastic, what he did there to turn snippets of speech from different languages into music is really great. What I don't like, though, is that so many documentaries on TV use his music as background (his, and Massive Attack's)...It's hard for me to listen to Oxygen or Equinoxe nowadays without getting the feeling I'm about to learn something about nature...

I've heard Jarre's live performances with light-show and all should be amazing; too bad I've missed to see one when he was touring a liitle more often.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
You don't know Morricone? I haven't even seen The Good, the bad and the ugly yet, and I still know Ennio Morricone's Ecstacy of Gold by heart. And I know you must've heard the theme from The Mission starring Jeremy Irons. You probably just didn't know where the song came from or who wrote it.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Jul 25 2004, 12:15 AM]
Abramelin,Jul 24 2004, 11:25 PM Wrote:Does anyone listen to Vangelis/Morricone/Jarre?
I haven't heard about Vanglies or this Jean Mr. Jarre, but I like some of Morricone's stuff. I have both The Ecstacy of Gold and Theme from The Mission in my winamp playlist. I've been scouring the Internet for years looking for a brass arrangement for the former song. I play percussion in a brass band here in Norway, and I would die a happy boy if I could get the chance to play Morricone's majestic masterpiece.

I'm more of a John Williams & Harry-Gregson Williams-kind of guy myself. I love the soundtracks from films such as The Rock and Jurassic Park.
Then you should listen to Vangelis and Jarre;run to your nearest music store or better,ask your friends if by any chance,they own some of their albums
I know a little about John Williams,I like his music,but I don't own anything about him;I am a bit surprised that you don't know Vangelis and Jarre,they are among the most famous "new age " musicians
Smoketest,Jul 25 2004, 04:17 AM Wrote:First off, I'm in the States, and out of the hundreds of people that I've known over the years, only a handful know of these artists.

I have heard both Jarre and Vangelis, but not Morricone. I like some of Vangelis' work, but prefer Jarre hands-down.

I have a few of Jarre's albums on CD, including Oxygene and Equinoxe on gold CD (ultradisc II), Magnetic Fields (French titles), Rendez-vous, Revolutions, Chronologie, Oxygene 7-13 and Metamorphoses. I used to have Zoolook but gave it away. New CDs that I'd like to check out are Geometry of Love and AERO (due to be released this September.)

His father, Maurice Jarre, has done various soundtracks, including the one for Ghost. Jean Michel's son first appeared on the Rendez-vous album playing a keyboard.

I also have a few Vangelis CDs, including Direct, The City, Themes and the Bladerunner Soundtrack.

Another artist you didn't mention, but who is in a similar vein as far as instrumentals goes, is Mannheim Steamrollers, known for their Fresh Aire series. I have I through VII (1-7).

I had Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells once upon a time, but lost it or gave it away. I haven't missed it.

P.S. Anyone curious about Jarre can visit his Official Website.
What is the ultradisc II ? is it a limited edition of a golden CD ?

The 2 first albums of Jarre are his best albums to me;to me,best of Vangelis is "themes" (a compilation tough,thats why),"voices","albedo 0.39" and "voices"
I have not heard of Mannheim Steamrollers,I'll look for it though;is it synthesizer music?
Abramelin,Jul 25 2004, 06:01 AM Wrote:What is the ultradisc II ? is it a limited edition of a golden CD ?

I have not heard of Mannheim Steamrollers,I'll look for it though;is it synthesizer music?
Ultradisc is just a brand name, but an expensive one. The CDs are plated in 24k gold and were copied from the original master recordings. I got them following a time when Oxygene and Equinoxe were out of print, or at least unavailable here in the States. Compared to the regular CDs that were/are available, these are super quiet and the sound is very rich. I love cranking the volume on them.

Steamrollers uses a lot of keyboards, synthesizers, and some string instruments. Also, each Fresh Aire CD has an underlying theme that influences all the music on that CD, be it based on seasons (4), trips to the moon (5), greek mythology (6), or the seven chakras of the body according to eastern religion (7). I don't have Fresh Aire 8, Infinity. They also released a CD containing music based on Classical Gas, which I like.

As for Ennio, I'm sure I've heard his music then. I did watch Good Bad and Ugly a few times.
Abramelin,Jul 25 2004, 08:01 AM Wrote:I have not heard of Mannheim Steamrollers
First of all, that is Steamroller, non-plural (noted only so you are successful when you search for them as you most assuredly must do). Their largest exposure has been through their christmas albums. They put their own spin on classical christmas tunes. Their style, both christmas and original, is what I tend to think of as a rock/pop composing/arranging for classical instruments and synthesizer. My all time favorite piece is the Toccata off of Fresh Aire III. I also thrill to any use they make of the harpsichord. I fell in love with them 25+ years ago when I got their sampler to play through the power amp I built. I have the entire Fresh Aire Series, the christmas albums, Saving the Wildlife, Classical Gas (Mason Williams - acoustic guitar) and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of right now. Their catalog consists of their music (mostly composed/arranged by their founder, Chip Davis) and several other artists (such as Classical Gas by Mason Williams) that they feel mesh with their style. If I were a rich man (someone should make that into a song), I would call their order desk and simply say "one of each please". I don't think there would be a stinker in the bunch.

As to Jarre, I have been enjoying Oxygene so long that my copy is on this big black thing that doesn't fit in a cd player. :P
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hi,

thanks for enlightening me with the two songs, especially "Gabriel's Oboe" is fantastic! But no, I didn't know either of the two songs, and I cannot remember having seen a movie with his music. Shame on me... ;)

Completely different music than Vangelis/Jarre, though.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Oh, yeah .. you've just named three of my favorite (film) musicians :) My top favorites are Jean-Michel Jarre's world hit "Oxygene" (the first record) which gained almost the same film music evergreen status as Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Time" or "Money", the soundtrack of Vangelis for Ridley scott's "Blade Runner", and of course Ennio Morricone's awesome soundtracks for "Once Upon A Time In the West" and "The Professional" (with Jean Paul Belmondo as former assassin). Another guy that would fit perfectly into your list is Mike Oldfield with his "Tubular Bells", which was also a great film sound track for William Friedkin's "The Exorcist". Pink Floyd would also be a candidate for best (movie) soundtracks ever. All of these folks have one thing in common: they are true music geniuses which are about to die out like once the dinosaurs :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
To Haider,

Are you sure? I thought they just used some "songs" of morricone in Kill Bill 2. How old is he by the way?
Anyway I'm not sure.

I like his work very much. And Once Upon a Time in the west is my favorite movie. The scene in which the family gets killed, and the kid steps out of the door.... the sounds at that moment give me goosebumps every time I see it.

eppie
I had a close friend who turned me on to Vangelis, Alan Parsons Project, and Ennio Morricone when I was a code warrior in the early 80's.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

LochnarITB,Jul 25 2004, 09:54 PM Wrote:First of all, that is Steamroller, non-plural (noted only so you are successful when you search for them as you most assuredly must do).  Their largest exposure has been through their christmas albums.  They put their own spin on classical christmas tunes.  Their style, both christmas and original, is what I tend to think of as a rock/pop composing/arranging for classical instruments and synthesizer.  My all time favorite piece is the Toccata off of Fresh Aire III.  I also thrill to any use they make of the harpsichord.  I fell in love with them 25+ years ago when I got their sampler to play through the power amp I built.  I have the entire Fresh Aire Series, the christmas albums, Saving the Wildlife, Classical Gas (Mason Williams - acoustic guitar) and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of right now.  Their catalog consists of their music (mostly composed/arranged by their founder, Chip Davis) and several other artists (such as Classical Gas by Mason Williams) that they feel mesh with their style.  If I were a rich man (someone should make that into a song), I would call their order desk and simply say "one of each please".  I don't think there would be a stinker in the bunch.

As to Jarre, I have been enjoying Oxygene so long that my copy is on this big black thing that doesn't fit in a cd player.  :P
I have looked for Steamroller in several music stores,I haven't found anything;I'll check in US related music stores,I may have more luck I hope

Alan Parsons is also on my favorite list,though it is rather rock music;"tubular bells" is not bad either,especially the beginning of the song
Pink Floyd is also a reference;a good album is "meddle";I like the psychedelic style of "echoes" (last song of Meddle);Pink Floyd is a good mind-blowing music,like Jarre and Vangelis styles
If you know other "new age" or blind-blowing music,let me know,I'll check what you listen to
Abramelin,Aug 2 2004, 10:45 AM Wrote:I have looked for Steamroller in several music stores,I haven't found anything;I'll check in US related music stores,I may have more luck I hope
So sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the second word in their name, Mannheim Steamroller. It was just a handy way of leading into me also recommending that you sample a bit of their work. In fact, if you had googled Mannheim Steamrollers you still would have gotten to their official site, as well as many, many other listings. I am surprised that asking (or searching online) for Steamroller at a music store didn't get the reaction of "Mannheim Steamroller?" If you wanted to just buy one or two to check them out, I would recommend one of the earlier Fresh Aires and one later (III and VII maybe?) or even the first christmas CD. If you like this style of music, I really don't think you will be disappointed.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."