WC3: FT Communities...
Hello there. I've been to the Lounge for quite some time now, lurking most of the time, though. This is my first post in about a year I think.

Anyway, I've been playing WC3: FT lately, and one thing that came to my mind is the lack of quality players around the general B.net community. I thought of looking for good ones myself but didnt find quite promising ones. The Lounge was my example of a good community, and still is. I am amazed at how high-level the general forum's intellegence is kept and I like that. So I remembered the Lounge again and came here for help. If anyone can direct me to a good WC3: FT community that resembles the Lounge in one way or another, it would be greatly appritiated.

Thanks in advance.

-Az3ar
"It burns because its burning!"
I don't know of any good communities, but I'd be up for an Arranged Team game at any time. Just catch me online under ArtegaAP ^_^
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Well, like Artega, I wouldn't mind an arranged team now and again either. I haven't been on much recently, but my account is Refrigerator. Mostly when I go on, it's to do a few arranged teams with my friend Matthis. If you see me online, give me a shout!
Unfortunately I don't know any good communities in War3. I too am looking for one, but for playing DOTA mostly, not the original game.

Mind you, the DOTA I speak of is not "DOTA Allstars". DOTA Allstars is a rip off of the real DOTA, and it is a piece of crap map, despite its prevalence in TFT. It's only prevalent in TFT because the real DOTA hasn't really made the switch to TFT from ROC yet, though it will fairly soon I hear. If you want to play DOTA, you can download the map for ROC here. Normally you would get it from TWC forums, but they removed the download trying to promote a TFT version that nobody plays because the map is like 2.5 megs or something ridiculous, and only has minor changes.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
I was under the impression that DX and EX where official versions... but perhaps I'm wrong (iirc they were made by someone else but with Eul's blessing). But yeah, Allstars is teh suck.
1) Some heros are more powerful than others
2) Cheese heros & cheese moves - enemy hero appears, your hero is dead - no escape
3) (Over) Powerful items - +172 damage, right, that's fair
4) Max level 24 - most intelligent people noticed that anything much above 10 was broken the first time that it appeared. If I get killed by a creep, or an enemy unit, or a tower, or a fluke by the enemy hero, he gets the chance to level up 1 more level. This gives him an advantage and for the remainer of the game will gradually pull further & further way from me. Now, with the old system, this would only go on for 1/2 hour or so before they hit lvl 10 & I could catch them up and level the playing field. Now they can keep going (rarely does anyone get to lvl 24) pulling further & further away until I'm 4 or 5 levels behind, in which case I might as well kill myself.
With the old system, with a bit of effort you could hold on until level 10, catch up, equal their level and have a decent game - now, you can't
5) Enemy units are way too strong, look away & you get killed, they're supposed to be cannon fodder. Ditto for towers
6) Some heros are naturally strong against other heros. Don't give me that stone-paper-scissors rubbish. Someone, even with -repick still ends up with the weaker team.

Why am I telling you all this instead of posting on their forum? because any complaint about something which messes up the gameplay, or imbalances the game gets the same response, "play allrandom" aka "we're too lazy to fix it, so rely on chance to give you balanced".

-Bob

p.s. I'd like to play in an AT game too, what realms are you guys on? I'm on lordaeron name bobmastery
The official Dota 3.9 (for TFT) is rubbish, not because it is poorly balanced, but because there are no public games for it. And, there are no public games for it, because everyone plays AllStars. As for me, I'll stick with 3.6(RoC), until 4.0(TfT) is out.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Well I don't think the fact that AllStars is prevalent in TFT really affects the real DOTA transition to TFT. And it's not the download size like I thought either, I just checked and 3.6(ROC) is about the same size as 3.91(TFT).

I guess what it is is that people try out 3.91, can't get a game started quickly, and say "screw this" and go back to 3.6, because the minor changes in 3.91 simply aren't worth the problems involved in the entire DOTA community making the transition to TFT.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
How much does Wc3/ FT cost? Just curious, it it's cheap, I may furfill your quest for fellow players. :D
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Jul 7 2004, 09:28 PM Wrote:How much does Wc3/ FT cost? Just curious, it it's cheap, I may furfill your quest for fellow players. :D
I'm with Archon Wing,

My WC3 cd's getting old and dusty. I'd be fun to play with lurkers . . .

If the price is right :P

-Munk
You can pick up the Warcraft Battle Chest (like I did) for $40 USD in most retail stores, and you can get it as cheap as $20 from eBay. I was impatient and decided to spend the extra cash rather than jump through hoops on eBay. If you pick it up from eBay, be certain that the box is sealed, otherwise your CD-Keys would likely be compromised.

The Battle Chest has both Reign of Chaos (the original) and The Frozen Throne (the expansion), as well as strategy guides for both, and both manuals.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Oh, did I tell you I don't know how to play? :P But I could learn. ;)
I'd be willing to teach you the tricks of the trade; besides, they say that you eventually reach a point where the only way to learn more is by teaching another ^_^
Why doesn't the Lurker Lounge have a Warcraft 3 section?
Umm, I borrowed my friend's cd tempoarily to mess around with single player. I was no match vs. the AI :( I manage to win with one Ai on my side vs. two others.

Bleh, here's a replay of me against the computer. ;) Help would be appreicated.

Oh, also I don't really know what most of the units do, which explains me building too much of those archer things :o

Newbie Replay
Well. Playing through the single player scenario is a good introduction to the units, but IMHO, not very good about preparing you for battle against the AI. Like in Starcraft the AI to me is insane. They kamikaze build a force and then attack until they are destroyed rinse repeat. The only twist in WC3 is that they also kamikaze the creeps, getting most of the treasure and experience from creeping early.

My experience in playing against AI in Starcraft, or Warcraft requires you to first build a highly defended base, and tech up. I practiced against AI alot with Booty Bay -- a 2 player map with a single defendable choke point and few creeps. It might just be me, but I also think WC3 makes a defense without units almost impossible. WC3 is harder than SC because you are also trying to also level up your heroes, and there is a huge difference in your force power between having a single low level hero and 3 high level heroes.

I'm a multiplayer newb, so I wouldn't mind tossing in with you lot if you want to get a game on.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Aigh, I also would be up for some WC3 games on Bnet. Though I do not have TFT right now, and unless I find it for cheap, its just WC3 classic for me.

But Kandrathe is very right in the assessment of the AI. It's ridiculous, and though it offers a great challenge, its a challenge that is different than playing humans. At the end of the day, the best way is to play matches online, and get used to human opponents.

Unreal, I beleive it was discussed way back when WC3 came out, but here at the lounge we decided to wait for another game to dedicate forums to (Right now it looks rather promising that this will indeed be WoW). I'd say search around for the thread, but I beleive it was way back, and therefore only archived some where. But if you're still interested in it, search around in the archives, I'm sure its "lurking" in there somewhere :).

-Munk

Edit: Forgot to use [ brackets intead of < brackets. Silly me!
Don't play DOTA play Battle For Icecrown! (It's my map B) )

I'm almost always up for a game my own map but I also play melee and Wardraft. If you are on west that is.
There is one thing that the AI cannot do that humans can do; micromanage.

Most RTS players are used to amassing units then throwing them at their opponents. Warcraft 3 operates on a such a small scale, that every unit is extremely valuabe. You want to keep all of your units alive as long as possible. This means you want to spread out the damage over all of your units, instead of letting a few units getting focused and dying.

Keeping your units alive involves constantly monitoring their health. When you have a group of units that is battling with the enemy, watch carefully for units that are being focused or have less health. When you find a unit that is closer to death than your other units, select it, and run it away from the battle, and quickly back. This will cause your opponents units to attack other units, as opposed to chasing the unit you moved away. The unit you moved away is no longer a target, and will most likely remain unharmed for the remainder of the battle.

Another thing you ought to do, is go for the enemy's hero first. In most single player missions, there aren't that many enemy heros, but on the occasion that they do show up, it is important that they be brought down quickly. The best way to do this is surround them with melee units, so they cannot run away.k

Micromanagement makes Warcraft almost easy. If anybody would like to see what I mean (ie, didn't understand explanation, I'll make a replay of an example).
I did play a custom game, the campaigns were kinda boring...so help? :P

I'm not one to speak about Warcraft, but in Starcraft I will give you one piece of advice: Don't focus that much on defense. You should scout to see what your opponent is doing and try to adjust it. Stop him from growing and expanding. Usually fast dropping works fine. Typically micromangement is vital to winning the game. Micromangement in Starcraft is much harder than most people give it credit for- you must macro- build at the same time while most likely managing several bases. Anyone who says you can just mass and kill without micro has yet to meet anyone good at the game. I'm very serious about that- the AI is nothing compared to better players. Hell, it's nothing compared to me. ;)

The AI suiciding to you actualy makes it easier. A normal enemy would see your mass defense, mass forces and expand. Without a mobile army, you are also vulerable to drop harassment. You would simply die to starvation or masses of tier 3 units. Mass defending does not make you friends in team games. ;) You would simply get wiped out one by one by the combined forces of 3 people. I'll be off to China until the 19th, but you could always meet me on b.net afterwards :)

I don't think it will pay to be passive in WC either. Imagine if your enemy slaughters all the creeps and takes all the gold mines. They could interrupt your creep killing as well. I do believe that's one of the key things of upkeep. You should lose units once in a while.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to kill the computer. ;)
Archon_Wing,Jul 8 2004, 05:03 PM Wrote:I'll be off to China until the 19th, but you could always meet me on b.net afterwards :)
Have a safe trip. We should start this WC3 ball rolling soon,

-Munk