Terminal Brightness Adjustment Problem
'splosions are fun to watch, but not in this case.

Sunday night, my monitor decided to retire itself. It could have died by causing the picture to go all kooky, but oh no, it had to scare the shako out of me by exploding.

Boom, it was like a scene from a cartoon; loud bang, brilliant light streaming out of the vents almost bleaching the wallpaper, and even the comedy wisp of smoke. So what was once a monitor rapidly became an inert lump of plastic and parts, staring me right in the face, still plugged into the mains and still drawing power.

Needless to say, I nearly concussed myself diving under the desk to unplug that damn thing.

My monitor is, to put it bluntly, pwnd. So here I am on a craptastic 14-incher borrowed by my father from where he works - A factory, basically. And so it shall be until the weekend.

So it's name and shame time: Any folk out there with a Targa 1554A monitor - Wear a helmet.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Don't worry. I'm wearing my 50% fire res Rockstopper sallet, and am well prepared for any explository mishaps :)

Condolences on your friend.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Damn, I never thought monitors could kill. :ph34r:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Jun 30 2004, 11:31 AM Wrote:Damn, I never thought monitors could kill.  :ph34r:
They serve you loyally, preparing for the right time and then... :ph34r:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I think mine's about to kick the bucket as well. :(

It's weird, when booting up (while going through the memory test, and such) the screen seems to jerk - not by much, but enough to be noticable.

Then, if I load up KotOR or The Ur-Quan Masters, the screen does this weird 'wave/ripple' thing - but it's rock-solid when looking at my desktop or using Firefox. Very strange... <_<
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Archon_Wing,Jun 30 2004, 08:31 AM Wrote:Damn, I never thought monitors could kill.&nbsp; :ph34r:
You've never read Fight Club then.

Though in fairness, that's monitors and gasoline.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,Jun 30 2004, 02:12 PM Wrote:You've never read Fight Club then.
... or Final Destination. :ph34r:

There was no sequel.
WarLocke,Jun 30 2004, 09:17 AM Wrote:I think mine's about to kick the bucket as well. :(

It's weird, when booting up (while going through the memory test, and such) the screen seems to jerk - not by much, but enough to be noticable.

Then, if I load up KotOR or The Ur-Quan Masters, the screen does this weird 'wave/ripple' thing - but it's rock-solid when looking at my desktop or using Firefox.&nbsp; Very strange...&nbsp; <_<
The small jerk while booting up is probably just the monitor degaussing itself. Mine does that too. The shakiness while loading certain games is probably just the monitor switching to a new resolution. No big deal there either.

You should probably seal your monitor in a thick casing of plexiglass just in case. You could pretend it's the Pope.

And now, in memory of this thread I shall degauss my monitor!

BONGGG....dip....ONNNGGGG

SATISFYING!
DeeBye,Jun 30 2004, 02:37 PM Wrote:The small jerk while booting up is probably just the monitor degaussing itself.&nbsp; Mine does that too.&nbsp; The shakiness while loading certain games is probably just the monitor switching to a new resolution.&nbsp; No big deal there either.
But the thing is, both the jerking and rippling started only a few days ago, and the rippling is constant, not just when switching resolutions. Bah.
Replacement monitor's in, smell that fresh hardware smell. Mmm... I know it's probably mildly toxic, but who cares?

I'm out of the 1024x768 club now, having been upgraded to the 1280x1024 elite, and there's no going back.

And...

...It has degauss. Lovely :lol:
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,Jul 3 2004, 09:44 AM Wrote:And...

...It has degauss.&nbsp; Lovely :lol:
What is this obsession with degaussing?

[Image: sarris.jpg]