Van Cleef
Warlock,Jan 1 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:Which racial starting area has the earliest (in character level) instance for a character concentrating on quests?
[right][snapback]64090[/snapback][/right]
Van Cleef is the first instance for the Alliance.

Since Phase 1 of the beta, the Van Cleef instance has been made easier and easier and easier, by weakening the mobs inside, reducing their number, and finally (late in beta) removing the elite tag from all of the miners. A party of level 20 characters initially would expect a near 4 hour run to go through it. Nowadays it can be done in half that time.

Really, the "nerfs" of the instance were necessary - for a "first" instance that Alliance chars will hit, it was far too difficult. As a newbie, you'd stand no chance there. I recall in Phase 1 that only 5% of the players could lay the claim that they beat that instance...back then you could only play Alliance and I think the level cap was 25.

Not just the miners in the instance, but all the mobs OUTSIDE the instance were also elite. It was very difficult just to GET to the instance sometimes, because people would get into trouble and train huge gangs of enemies right into you, slaughtering your whole group. Back then, the train code wouldn't have the mobs ignore you - if they ever ran past you, they'd attack you on the way back. Ugly.

Anyhow, what I predicted many months ago came true - people playing the game on release will think, "what was the big deal? That wasn't so hard." :-)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jan 2 2005, 02:52 AM Wrote:Anyhow, what I predicted many months ago came true - people playing the game on release will think, "what was the big deal?  That wasn't so hard."  :-)
[right][snapback]64099[/snapback][/right]

Yay, first instance done and success at once!!! So Bolty, what WAS the problem? :P

I can understand why people like making instances. Fun play, great items (compared to normal play) and do teaches you the game as well.

Since I am horrible at names, I can't recall for sure my party friends but they sure made the trip easy. I can imagine a party were no one has been there before. Perhaps we were slightly overpowered, a level 26 priest (Luinilian ?), 2 level 23 druids (me and Roth?), a level 23 rogue (?) and a level 18 mage (Evanie). But it was fun and I got to play almost exclusively Bear. I really think I would like warrior as well though, perhaps make one on Horde instead of Priest.

Now I am heading for next instance.....
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
This reminds me, if anyone else would like a go at Van Cleef in the near future, I have a pair of gnomes on Stormrage who have each hit 18 would be happy to go along... in the off-chance I can actually FIND the quest to kill off VC.

(The gnomes in question are Smidgeon, my warrior, and Gobblorith, my warlock, by the way.)
Bob the Beholder,May 30 2005, 10:20 AM Wrote:.. in the off-chance I can actually FIND the quest to kill off VC. 

It's the "The Defias Brotherhood" quest, started by talking to Stoutmantle on the Sentinal Tower ramp. It involves a lot of running around. You will know it's the right one because Stoutmantle will send you running off to Lakeshire. That will get you started on the quest chain that ends with VC's head.

Good luck!
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Bob the Beholder,May 30 2005, 11:20 AM Wrote:This reminds me, if anyone else would like a go at Van Cleef in the near future, I have a pair of gnomes on Stormrage who have each hit 18 would be happy to go along... in the off-chance I can actually FIND the quest to kill off VC. 

(The gnomes in question are Smidgeon, my warrior, and Gobblorith, my warlock, by the way.)
[right][snapback]78936[/snapback][/right]

I'll probably always have a character who needs to do VC. I just did it with my warrior yesterday but have a 14 rogue and 16 mage who will probably need it soon, and heck, I'd do it again with my warrior just for kicks and experience. :)
VanCleef must die yet again! At 11:00 PM Stormrage server time, this Thursday (June 2 in case of thread necromancy), Yakisoba (22 Hunter), Carlyn (21 Warrior), and Rathorela (21 Druid) will challenge the depths of the Deadmines.

We're starting a little later than normal due to schedule issues, so we'll be skipping the undead section and the quests therein and striking straight for the instance. I'd like to get a couple more Lurkers on board. What say you all?

Edit: Corrected the Arrow of Time.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,May 31 2005, 02: Wrote:VanCleef must die yet again! At 11:00 PM Stormrage server time, this Thursday (April 2 in case of thread necromancy),  Yakisoba (22 Hunter), Carlyn (21 Warrior), and Rathorela (21 Druid) will challenge the depths of the Deadmines.

Did you mean June 2? I won't be around as I'm working, but Aranea might be, and she likes running around in the Deadmines. She doesn't often come to the boards, so if you see her ingame, feel free to ask.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
I'll be there, if you'll have me.

Seeing as you already have a warrior, and I am automatically predisposed to lose every roll on a decent item if even one other person rolls on it, perhaps I'll bring the warlock... though I haven't collected the quests for him yet. Gotta get on that.

Anyone need to/want to go, gimme a time and I'll be there, whether in goofy cloth-wearing gnome form, or goofy mail-wearing gnome form.
Bob the Beholder,May 31 2005, 08:16 PM Wrote:I'll be there, if you'll have me.

Seeing as you already have a warrior, and I am automatically predisposed to lose every roll on a decent item if even one other person rolls on it, perhaps I'll bring the warlock... though I haven't collected the quests for him yet.  Gotta get on that.

Anyone need to/want to go, gimme a time and I'll be there, whether in goofy cloth-wearing gnome form, or goofy mail-wearing gnome form.
[right][snapback]79123[/snapback][/right]

A 'lock would be great. We've got the basics down, so anything is fine, but Curse of Recklessness rocks. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Tal,Jun 30 2004, 07:08 AM Wrote:I have a level 16 warrior that should be doing Van Cleef at some point in the future. We can organize another VC grouping when everyone is ready. :)
[right][snapback]50201[/snapback][/right]

I have a lvl 15 mage I am working in Westfall too.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:(Tal @ Jun 30 2004, 07:08 AM)
I have a level 16 warrior that should be doing Van Cleef at some point in the future. We can organize another VC grouping when everyone is ready.

kandrathe,Jun 1 2005, 01:33 PM Wrote:I have a lvl 15 mage I am working in Westfall too.
[right][snapback]79214[/snapback][/right]

Kandrathe, please note the date on Tal's post that you replied to. That was last year in the beta test.