Problems with the new system
So I'm having some issues with the new computer.

First, Windows isn't shutting down. I can give it the command fifty thousand times, but it just sits there and doesn't do anything. I can choose to log off, but shut down and restart simply aren't working. If I need to reboot, I have to use the power button on my case. I've also noticed that there's no more AutoScan, and I can't find ScanDisk anywhere. Did they get kicked out of Windows XP? At any rate, I was using StyleXP for a while, but I got rid of it because I found it to be pointless. I'm using Windows XP Professional, if that helps. I've visited Windows Update and downloaded all of the critical updates. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Second, I'm having problems aiming in Unreal Tournament 2004. My aim seriously lags when I'm moving. Due to the way it pauses in one frame and jumps to the next, I thought it was graphics related, so I uninstalled UT2k4, reinstalled DirectX 9.0b, reinstalled the most recent Catalyst drivers, patched UT2k4 to the most recent version, and rebooted. It wasn't helping. I don't understand why this is happening; the game worked fine at the LAN party where I first installed it, and it worked fine in single player, too. The aiming problems only started showing up when I gave Onslaught a try, but the aiming problems now extend to all game modes, including single player. Anyone have any ideas about this?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I don't know why your 'puter won't shut down, but as for not being able to fnid ScanDisk, it SHOULD be under Start-->All Programs-->Accesories-->System Tools-->ScanDisk. Does your user name have administrative rights? If not, you may not be able to get into ScanDisk from your user name.

About the UT2k4, I would think it is either your video cards is losing it, or you memory. What type of memory do you have? I know the Corsair ValueSelect series has some problems.

Hope that helped a litte.
WWBBD?
Under XP you get there via Control Panel --> Administrative --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management (click on your HD), then right click to properties --> Tools (Error Checking and Defrag buttons are here).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Check your processes.

ctrl+alt+del, then click on the 'processes' tab. Search through them and see if you find something called 'cpuidle.exe'.

I had this on my processes for a while (no idea how it got there) and it made my games lag. As soon as I deleted it, the lagging stopped (this all happened last night actually). When searching google for an answer to my problem, I ran across people who had the same thing, and couldn't shut down their computer.

If you have 'cpuidle.exe' under your processes, run a search for it, and delete it.

What are your system specs? The lag might be from poor hardware.
I highly doubt it's a result of poor specs. I built the computer this past Friday, and it's using an AthlonXP 2500+ overclocked to 2.2GHz, and it has more than ample cooling. The video card is a 9600XT with the most recent Catalyst drivers.

When I was playing UT2k4 at the LAN party, it was running without a hitch, and I was getting a constant 60 fps. I'm still getting 60 fps, but there's the whole aim-lag thing. I didn't see "cpuidle.exe" under the list of processes, but I do see something labelled as "System Idle Process", which may be the same thing. I don't have the time to mess with the game right now, but I'll try closing that and seeing if it helps at all.

As I am the only one to use this computer, my account has full administrative abilities, but ScanDisk has somehow disappeared. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough :blink:
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
"System idle process" is something we all have. That cannot be the problem.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hi, Im quite lost on the scandisk thing. This has happen to me also, i think in the newest windows update they removed it and put it under the drives options and renamed it error-checking, right click the drive_> propertys 2nd tab called "tools" and the 1st thing is called error-checker, i tried it out and it runs just like scan disk.......That is the closest idea i have. Also about Ut2004 it could be a frame limterof some kind (if i owned the game i would look into this) Hope this helps.

-Funky

edit: typos
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
"no you idiot we could NOT try"
Taken from "Hello Cthulhu" Page 12
Sorry. I missed that previous post.
System Components? (All of them!)
Soundcards are a frequent cause of this problem, especially Creative.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
PCWorld has been running an article on shutdown problems for a while -- perhaps it contains a suitable solution.
Quote:SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : TICONDEROGA
User : David
Domain : TICONDEROGA

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+
Speed : 1.84GHz
Model Number : 2500 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR2664 (estimated)
Type : Standard
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : No
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
Mainboard : nVidia-nForce
Total Memory : 511MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Nvidia Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 167MHz (334MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 167MHz (334MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Aspire 55s
Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES  
Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary   
Imaging Device : Lexmark X5100 Series

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : WDC WD800JB-00ETA0
CD-ROM/DVD : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-216B
CD-ROM/DVD : ELBY DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device

Logical Storage Devices
1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
Western digital (C:) : 74.5GB (50.0GB, 67% Free) (NTFS)
Nwng_cd1 (D:) : 567MB (0MB, 0% Free) (CDFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Printing Support
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Keyboard : Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device
Human Interface : Internet Keys USB

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio Codec Interface
Device : NVIDIA® nForce™ MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby® Digital)

Communication Device(s)
Device : CIS 5614PM3 Data Fax Modem

Printers and Faxes
Model : Lexmark X5100 Series
Model : CAPTURE FAX BVRP
Model : \\PAVILION\DESKJET

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

Network Services
Adapter : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

As reported by Sandra. I believe that should list everything ^_^

I have noticed that my system is running a little hot. After letting Prime95 torture test it for ten hours (I intend to do a full 24, but haven't had the time), the CPU was reading at 51 Celsius, while the system was reading at 42 Celsius. I only have one 120mm case fan (exhaust), though I intend on adding another 120mm fan to the front for intake. My CPU has a Thermalright SLK900-A heatsink on it (yeah, the fifty-pound, pure-copper behemoth), with a Vantec Stealth 92mm fan attached to that. I double-checked the connection, and the heatsink is sitting properly, and the fan is working fine (usually 1750-1800rpm.) That said, I think the heat may be causing problems. The only thing I can think of that could be causing the heat would be poor inner-case organization; while the fan cables and power cables are secured to the side of the case where possible, I'm still using the fat, flat, grey IDE cables, which I hope to replace with swooky silver, narrow ones soon.

I still don't know why UT is acting up. I tested it yesterday at full graphics, and it ran beautifully in Deathmatch (and Team Deathmatch) and CTF, and had only minimal snagging in Assault. Onslaught, however, was still a problem; while all of the maps were snagging frequently, ONS-Torlan was snagging so badly that it was completely unplayable. I have a theory that it may have something to do with my system hosting the game; at the LAN party, my friend (who has a much-faster P4 processor and a 9700 PRO) was hosting the game, and there was no snagging.