Switching to Thunderbird
I'm trying to switch to Mozilla's Thunderbird, but I'm having trouble setting it up. I use Hotmail for email, but Thunderbird doesn't have an option for HTTP mail services; only POP or IMAP.

Anyone know of a way to fix this, or am I stuck with Outlook until GMail goes public?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
While I have not installed this myself, I plan to.
"Pop Goes the Gmail is a program that sits between the http://gmail.com web server and your email client, converting messages from web format into POP3 format that a program such as Outlook Express or Thunderbird can understand."

http://jaybe.org/info.htm

No idea if there is any similar program for Hotmail, and I'm sure you've tried to Google that with as much efficiency as I could.

EDIT: BTW, I've still yet to receive any GMail invites, I'll post in the Gmail Giveaways thread when (if?) I do.
How do you make this damned thing work? I used WinRAR to unzip into a folder of its own, but it complains about initialization errors and crashes before it starts. I can't find a readme or instructions anywhere on the entire site, and there's nothing of the sort in the forums. Am I supposed to unzip into the Thunderbird folder, or what?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Erm, so you HAVE a Gmail account? I misunderstood, or did I?

Here are the instructions for configuring your mail client, found in the program's help.
[Image: PGtGMHelp.jpg]

As for the error message, could you post what it said?
Out of boredom, I Googled it anyway: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...8&q=POP+hotmail

Several good choices.
Hotmail Popper (the first result) looks to be what you want. However, it is a trial version that expires after 100 message uploads/downloads. Hopefully that will be enough to tide you over until you can secure <_<Artega@gmail.com>_>, and start using PGtGM (Shifty faces to protect the innocent from potential future email address-sniffing spam bot abuse.)
(The moral of this thread (and generally any problem) is "When in doubt, Google before you post" ;) )
the error message? a deficiency of a .dll file I should guess. Do you have the MS .net libraries? that's what fixed mine (yep, 23Mb of download for 1 .dll file). Of course, it could be something different.
The lack of HTML email capabilities is why I don't use Thunderbird (although I have it). That and the fact that it messes up Mozilla by locking up the default profile.

-Bob
I don't have a Gmail account, no.

There were a number of people babbling about numerous HTML-based email services in the forums, so I assumed that the program would work for most any service, and not just Gmail. At any rate, I guess I'll just stick to using Outlook. It's not super-safe, but at least it works.
Do read the above post and reconsider.
Um, HTML e-mail has always been in there for Thunderbird. View -> Message Body As -> Original HTML (there's also Simple HTML and Plain Text.

And Thunderbird also hasn't used Mozilla's profile for quite a number of versions.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I think he did not mean HTML email, but HTTP email, i.e. HTTP instead of POP3 as the email transfer protocol. Why people don't just use POP3-capable email services is beyond me, though.
I'm not really wild about time-limited things. 100 days is pretty nice, though.

I did notice your link to the program, but decided to address other concerns in my posts :P
I'm sorry, but I have to do this...

Q: What's the word?
A: Thunderbird!
Q: What's the price?
A: Fifty-five twice!

sorry sorry, pardon, sorry....

When I was a college monster, my group would have sleazy-wine parties. One of the featured attractions was Thunderbird, a substance found in a bottle that claimed it was wine and said "Serve Cold". The highest-end slop at these blechanalias was stuff like MD 20/20. Middle was national cheapies like Thunderbird. Then there was: the Triple Peach! Guaranteed to come back up in an hour or two, and produce a nasty hangover.

Eventually, my system rebelled and I can no longer consume more than about a quarter of one drink without turning radish red. I hear that turning red is dangerous, so I decided no more buzzes for me. What's a pain is telling doctors and pharmacists that I can't ingest alcohol, and then I wonder if they think I'm a recovering alcoholic. (The truth is I'm addicted to Pepsi, I can't quit the damn stuff, been addicted for about 29 years now...)

-VinoDiablo
Lord of Pepsi
I found this: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53174