Sayings and their geographic areas
Quite often since I became a father I have found myself channeling my own father when speaking to my own daughter. Things such as: "What are you crazy? You'll break your head open!" or "Yes I realize your friends are doing that [insert crazy activity here] but that is they're parents concern not mine. Mine is keeping you safe!"

And finally my favorite: "Pass on green not between." >.<
Pete,Jun 18 2004, 09:04 AM Wrote:That was briefly popular when I was in high school ('60-'64, Atlanta, Georgia).&nbsp; You're either ten years older than I or it made a brief comeback :)

--Pete
Well, if I were ten years older than you, then you'd have to be 15. (calculating probability...please wait...probability inestimable: event is logical impossibility)

"Tough cookies" was something that I heard used frequently when I was a teen in Massachusetts in the 90's. The ones I was refering to as being made up when I was in college in New York were quite different, and wouldn't make any sense if I brought them up now. I guess that's the definition of context.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hi,

I've really got to slow down and read the posts more carefully. That's twice in two days that my reading comprehension has failed me. Must be spending too much time on-line :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

My father used to say "we're off like a dirty shirt!" and "like a herd of turtles!" whenever the family finally got organized to leave on a trip. I'm sure there are more that I'm blanking on at the moment.

Sailboat
My dad also used to use, "Well, we're off like a thundering herd of turtles!" whenever we'd leave for a trip somewhere. :)
-TheDragoon
"That took forever and a month of Sundays..."

and, my least favourite of all:

"What's that got to do with the price of eggs?"

All courtesy my dear mother.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
tal125,Jun 17 2004, 11:02 PM Wrote:[Image: icon_redface.gif]
I saw this smiley and I decided to finally go find the answer to "Where do they find these smilies?" I, of course, headed over to Google to search on smiley collection. The first item on the list was Jason's Smiley Collection. I spent quite some time looking at the collection there and then found some links to other sites at the bottom of his terms page. I explored a couple more sites finding a lot of fun smilies, and quite a few stinkers too. One of the sites that it pointed me to was Mazeguy Smilies. There were many good smilies and there was also an online tool for generating speech balloons to add to the smilies. Along with his smiley collection, he has his More Mazeguy page. This one has three gems to check out. The first is Cool Dude. Its a Flash cartoon about a bungee jumper. When you load it, be sure to play the Cool Girl's Bungee Blast game on the intro page. A simple but fun, clean, well done game good for a few extra minutes of your time. The second gem is RC Racing. Its another simple game racing one of seven cars around one of six small courses. Your little car responds quite well to the keys and you get used to the control quickly. Check out the course with the neon blue center for a fun little surprise. The last gem is also Flash, like the others, and is my favorite. It is Bash and Smash Demolition. It is a little different take on breakout. Again, it is simple but clean and well done. I quit after the first 10 levels because I had already wasted too much time on my "smiley journey". Check these out. You might find yourself wasting too much time also.

It was over three hours ago that I headed over to Google. I get back here to the Lurker Lounge and find the thread on using Linux. Oh great! See you in another few hours...
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:"That took forever and a month of Sundays..."

"I'll <do x> on the thirteenth of Never."
"I'll get around to it the second Wednesday of next week."
"That lasted about three seconds short of eternity."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hey Shadow,

I've never heard 'horseshoes up your butt' before - that's a new one. I suspect this is because there are not enough Canadians in Colorado...

Along these same lines, though - my girlfriend and I had a ton of fun with the link below. Unfortunatly, it is US only, but should still provide some entertainment for our neighbors to the north or other english speaking parts of the world.

It gives examples of pronunciation, phrases, and other regional linguistic trends, and maps showing what parts of the US tend to use a particular version. Maine is one of the most interesting states - they have some seriously crazy phrases up there that are nearly exclusive to that state.

Fun with Dialect

I personally have several phrases that confuse other people, most of which come from my grandparents who grew up in Kansas. 'Cattywumpus' means diagonal, 'crick' is often substituted for creek, etc.

-V-
Vornzog,Jun 19 2004, 11:30 AM Wrote:I personally have several phrases that confuse other people, most of which come from my grandparents who grew up in Kansas.&nbsp; 'Cattywumpus' means diagonal, 'crick' is often substituted for creek, etc.

-V-
Grandparents are wonderful sources of idiom. This one came from my grandma. :lol:

"She's just a walk-up-the-crick."

Translation:

"She is so thin that she looks like a Blue Heron."
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I've grown up mostly in the Midwestern US, and I've heard that, both from my grandparents and mother, who are country folk.

But I, on the other hand, refuse to live in an area where the greater metropolitan area has a population less than 1,000,000. And I've heard it said in downtown Chicago as well.

But my parents have long-time friends from Toronto, so I don't know when they may have picked that up.

SaxyCorp
Quote:Is this a saying you have heard?

I live in New Jersey, and have never heard it. My parents were given to use such sayings as well. Odd.

"Tough cookies" on the other hand, I've heard many a time.