A sticky thread on pop-ups
Would a 'sticky thread' at the top of The Lounge about pop-ups be a good thing?

I tend to send Private Messages to unruly newcomers who seem to have skipped the Rules and Etiquette pages, reminding them of those rules and suggesting that there are different expectations here than other forums. I would rather admonish in private, in general, rather than scare a potentially 'good' Lurker into running away. (I know, I have, on occasion, jumped in with the Flame-thrower immediately too.)

However, I suspect that most users here use pop-up blockers and hence miss the message when they log on. I use one myself, but have disabled it for this forum because I know the only pop-ups that will occur are private messages.

So would it be worth it to put a 'sticky thread' up at the top to let folks know that there will be no advertising spam in the pop-ups?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I'm not against any idea put forth to secure the sanctity of this place. I use a pop-up-blocker myself (Opera), but I always check to see if I've gotten any messages whilst I've been away. However, I'm sure that's not the case with everyone.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I don't know that that's necessary. I didn't even know the Lurker Lounge notified you of a new PM by way of popup until just recently, and I've never had a problem seeing when I had a new PM. After all, it's right there at the top of every page when you are logged in.

And here I was thinking that you were suggesting advertising popups as a new business model for Bolty :)
I get an email when I get sent a new PM, and the popup - the LL is the only exception to the popup rule currently :-)
Is there a way that it could be placed more prominently on the main page so that it can't get blocked?

-Bob
I agree with this idea. I never notice whether I have a PM or unless I get the pop-up. I recently upgraded to Firefox 0.9, and forgot to reallow the Lounge on my pop-up blocker, so I missed a PM I had for a day, I think (not sure, forgot to look at the date).

Or, an even better idea than a sticky thread (I think, at least) is a javascript prompt. The other website I visit often has one of those, and I get the prompt even though I haven't allowed pop-ups there.
Bob,Jun 17 2004, 06:16 AM Wrote:Is there a way that it could be placed more prominently on the main page so that it can't get blocked?
But, you already have a link at the top right of your screen indicating how many PMs you have. The popup is a feature (that is configurable, btw) on top of that. I don't know, I shun away from putting up sticky reminders - if we put up one for that, then we'd need one for the Forum FAQ, Rules, and Etiquette, even though there are prominent links for those as well. There'd be no end of it...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jun 17 2004, 05:44 PM Wrote:I shun away from putting up sticky reminders - if we put up one for that, then we'd need one for the Forum FAQ, Rules, and Etiquette, even though there are prominent links for those as well.  There'd be no end of it...
And if a newcomer manages to miss the links for the Forum FAQ, Rules, Etiquette and Messages, what chance of them actually paying attention to a sticky thread on pop-ups?

Oh well......
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake