New phase today
TheDragoon,Jun 15 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:Heh, after 3 hours of working to configure my router, I've now upped my previously 8-11 KB/s download to a whopping 180 KB/s.
What the - what ports did you open up? Is that from a cable modem?

Edit: never mind, stupid me - I checked my router's config and saw that I was forwarding ports 6881-6889 to the wrong internal IP. Changed it, and I went from 10 KB/s to 75 KB/s.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Actually, my router is really old and so it doesn't forward ports at all! (at least it didn't that me, my dad, and my brothers could find) What I ended up doing was just telling the router to not apply the firewall to anything going to my computer and away it went! And, yeah, it's from a cable modem via Comcast.
-TheDragoon
TheDragoon,Jun 15 2004, 10:20 PM Wrote:What I ended up doing was just telling the router to not apply the firewall to anything going to my computer and away it went!
Well yeah, Bittorrent generally works a lot better if you open up ports 6881-6889, because it uses more than just one port. If your router is firewalling everything, you're really limiting yourself. Opening up your wall opened those ports, so blammo.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Hi,

What does "Could not connect to a valid tracker" mean and why does it pop up every few minutes? When it does, the download stops until I click OK. If it weren't for that, it wouldn't be so bad, but over four hours of nursemaiding this thing is turning my sour disposition to vinegar.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Jun 15 2004, 08:01 PM Wrote:What does "Could not connect to a valid tracker" mean and why does it pop up every few minutes?  When it does, the download stops until I click OK.
Hi,

I'm not at all familiar with the Blizzard downloader (curses...no beta for me), but I am fairly familiar with bittorrent. The standard bittorrent software (or at least versions older than a few months ago) had a bug/feature to the effect that an "Unable to connect to tracker" error message would pop up *even if the download were still working*. In these cases, the client was only attempting to connect to the tracker to update its info - the tracker is not essential to the download process after the first connect. The most annoying bit was that the progress indicator would refuse to move while the error window was open, leaving many with the impression that the download had stopped, only to jump several percentage points when the "OK" button was eventually pressed.

Of course, this may or may not be what's happening with the Blizzard downloader. I do suspect that they built it on top of an earlier version of the BT client, and that this is what's happening. The easiest way to test it would be to leave the error window open for a while and then close it and see it the progress meter jumps. I'd be willing to bet that it will.

Hope this helps,
unless
unless,Jun 16 2004, 07:26 AM Wrote:The easiest way to test it would be to leave the error window open for a while and then close it and see it the progress meter jumps.  I'd be willing to bet that it will.
You are correct sir. The download does indeed continue even with the error message.
Bolty,Jun 15 2004, 09:00 PM Wrote:What the - what ports did you open up?  Is that from a cable modem?

Edit: never mind, stupid me - I checked my router's config and saw that I was forwarding ports 6881-6889 to the wrong internal IP.  Changed it, and I went from 10 KB/s to 75 KB/s.

-Bolty
And dl'ing at 133 to 150kb compared to uploading it at 250kb. I'm just hoping that as more people come online and start the DL that it will increase. I only have about 5 hours at work to dl it before I have to take it off the pipeline.
Hi,

Thank you, that did indeed help.

--Pete

I wonder if perhaps you might be using the old version of the downloader instead of the new one. I used the new one and had no trouble.
Hi,

Nope. After deleting pretty much everything having to do with WoW, including the downloader, I started off by downloading the new downloader from Blizzard's download link. Hmm, who'd'a thunk you could use "downloader" four times in one sentence :)

Anyway, when I got up this morning, had that error message but also had all the download.

--Pete

I got the same message Pete alluded too but it did not seem to affect the download.