Tainted Stew
Last night my rogue and I were calling on andariel. We had cleared her anteroom and were preparing to open the double doors to her chamber, when a boss pack of tainted attacked us. First one, then another, and another came through the closed doors and chased us around the room.

I thought the game was locked up, since I was unable to hit them and their hits registered no damage. I was about to exit the game, expecting to return to my body on the ground, when I chanced to pick up a small pile of gold. Obviously the game could not be locked up if I could put items into inventory, so I took a portal back to town. When I returned to level four, the phantom horde was gone.

Actually the boss and minions were behind the still unopened door. How could the game get so desynchronized as to having them chase me around the level from the wrong side of a door?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I have no exact answer, but this could come u because they can normally open all doors... with the exception of the "BIG DOOR"™ to Andariel's chamber. They might think on the client side that they opened the door, while the server says no, you can't open those.

This is just guessing, mind you
The door didn't open though, they walked through the closed door. But I think you may have the right idea.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I tend to think the game's dual personality gets confused as to which doors are open and which are closed. I've seen this problem numerous times in all parts of the game that feature doors, since 1.10 was released.

Monsters should not sense your approach from behind a closed door, thus they would not be able to open said door. Well, this is how it was in 1.09d. Now monsters sometimes 'wake up' as you approach, but instead of opening the door, complete with sound effect and animation, they simply walk through it. It's as if the door was transparent, ethereal, or simply not there. Regardless, you cannot pass through it until you've opened it. Interestingly, mercs will behave the same way the monsters do, and sometimes attack through a closed door, even at range, without first opening it.

This does tend to cause desynch trouble, especially online, and it does seem to be more pronounced with, but not limited to, the tainted class monsters, probably because of how quickly they tend to move around.

And of course, the age-old bug still exists, where you have to sometimes open and close a door near an exit repeatedly until the graphic finally shows the door to be open, although you can walk through it upon first 'opening' it.
I have had the same type of situation, where my Holy Aim merc was literally killing adversaries through the wall. I just waited until he finished his killing spree, then opened the door and walked to the wall where he had been hard at work. Yes, there were numerous bodies on the ground with several half into the wall.
I figured he save me wear and tear on my armor. :lol:
". . . and there never grew up in any of the continents of the globe nor upon any planet or satellite or star, nor upon the asteroids, nor in any part of ethereal space, nor in the midst of density, nor under the fluid wet of the sea, nor in that condition which precedes the birth of babes, nor at any time during the changes of life, nor in that condition that follows what we term death, nor in any stretch of abeyance or action afterward of vitality, nor in any process of formation or reformation anywhere, a being whose instinct hated the truth."
-- Walt Whitmam
Ya, thats happened to me before. I kept swearing at those :censored: tainted cause I died like 6 times, And I thought When I joined another game, The body I would get Would not be the first one I left (the onw with all my gear, I wass worried cause it had happened before to me as well, and I got so pissed :angry: )