Sometimes the stupidity of people makes me scream
Ok, for those who don't know, I'm a web designer for a local company. My 'office' is a desk in a section of the warehouse that isn't being used for anything else right now. There has been several leaks in the roof, and they have promised to get them fixed.

Well, today in the rain, a new leak sprang, and gave my laptop chinese water torture for about 10 minutes while I had a smoke and went to the bathroom. Freaked, because they now might have to replace my laptop, they are now frantically working to find a solution.

The laptop seems to be functioning ok after making sure that I got it cleaned up and what not, but I'm furious. Why in the hell does it take a company almost having to spend money because of their mistakes to fix something? It's not like it would be hard to fix the leaky roof. They have maintenance on hand to take care of these things, but they've been too busy beautifying the sales floor to worry about some of the more pressing problems.

Why oh why can't people do anything preventative anymore?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:Why oh why can't people do anything preventative anymore?
As opposed to in the lost golden age when people did preventative stuff all the time?

-Jester
Quote:As opposed to in the lost golden age when people did preventative stuff all the time?

-Jester

It seems like, at least at my last place of employment, that steps were taken to ensure things didn't get ruined. Luckily, I was able to get the laptop dried out and it's running fine, it's just irritating when you tell someone about a problem, warn them about what it will do if not taken care of, they just don't fix it.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:Why oh why can't people do anything preventative anymore?
I assume you want to keep this job, because the primary leverage you have is to vote with your feet and find a new job.

So, I would suggest then;

1. Ask your manager if it would be alright if you brought in blue plastic tarps to cover your important stuff up when you are not there. Inform them of your allergy to mold.

2a. If they say yes, then suggest to all your coworkers that this is a great solution. This will get upper management's attention.

2b. If no, then remove any personal items from your office, including books or pictures, that might get damaged. It would be unfortunate if current project papers, including anything that is interoffice is placed below a leaky place, so cover everything with plastic sleeves. Your water problems need to become a corporate problem. The transfer of moldy, soggy, crinkled, and water stained memorandums will get upper management's attention, but might also indicate you were an idiot for being negligent.

3. No matter how annoyed you are, your external demeanor should be that you are amused by the water problems. Organize company activities around the problem, like, "Who can collect the most drip water contest", or "The most creative use of funnels and plastic hoses contest", or "The most illegible water soaked memo contest".

Good luck and let us know how it pans out. :)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:3. No matter how annoyed you are, your external demeanor should be that you are amused by the water problems. Organize company activities around the problem, like, "Who can collect the most drip water contest", or "The most creative use of funnels and plastic hoses contest", or "The most illegible water soaked memo contest".

With some bosses this would fly..... up to a point. With others, he'll get fired pretty quickly. I'm not sure about this advice :ph34r:
Quote:With some bosses this would fly..... up to a point. With others, he'll get fired pretty quickly. I'm not sure about this advice :ph34r:
Right. You need to know how far is too far.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Right. You need to know how far is too far.

FYI, shooting up your place of work with bullets is considered "too far". Just thought I'd throw that out there since I've seen a lot of these in the news this year :lol:.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
As and update, since I work with Shoju, today when we arrived at work our desks were moved under a section of roof that as of yet hasn't sprung a leak. It's only a move of about 15 feet, but it's something I suppose.

Ah, the joys of working in a non-climate controlled warehouse.
Terenas Characters:
Hinome
Draelozia
Rogherr
Quote:As and update, since I work with Shoju, today when we arrived at work our desks were moved under a section of roof that as of yet hasn't sprung a leak. It's only a move of about 15 feet, but it's something I suppose.

In my first programming job, there were 25 or so programmers in a bullpen environment. We'd get together and all have made a very creative silk screened t-shirt expressing some of our sentiments. Then all wear them on the same day as a show of solidarity. Some of the things that I remember were; "Quality over Quantity", "Wheel Reinventor", "Intellectual Sweatshop Worker", and my favorite was a yellow t-shirt with a barcode, and text "Programmer".

Quote:As and update, since I work with Shoju, today when we arrived at work our desks were moved under a section of roof that as of yet hasn't sprung a leak. It's only a move of about 15 feet, but it's something I suppose.

I happen to work in a large non-climat controlled warehouse. Every decent rainfall produces several leaks throughout the building. We just move the products underneath out of the way, if we notice the leak in time, and our landlord patches/tarrs the roof as needed.

More annoyingly, the main warehouse office is situated directly beneath the primary merge of our conveyor system. Things tend to break at the merge, and apparently the liquid pools directly over my desk. Any day of the week I can come in to find dark, nasty and/or sticky splash marks over my desk/computer, and any paperwork I foolishly left out.

Sometimes I think that if I came in early and broke several things over the maintenance guy's desk(he's in the same office) it would become more of a priority to fix the ceiling...