What is playable untwinked in 1.10?
I have a level 61 hammerdin that was made over a two day period. If you go purely for blessed hammer, the results are ridiculously powerful untwinked. I just finished maxing Concentration, Blessed Hammer, and Vigor, and my hammres do 2.8k damage, and I still have blessed aim to start boosting.

For those who are unaware, Blessed aim gives 14% damage increase to Blessed Hammer per skill point. Vigor also gives 14% for every skill point.

This combined with the already decent damage of Hammer+Conc = on massively powerfuly untwinked char.

The only issues I've run into is health. Hell mode is really not a good place for any melee or quasi melee character without good equipment. I find this to hold me back much more than damage, which is still going very strong.

-Munk
This is still a good thread and deserves to stay current. My only real piece of advice is select a character class you enjoy playing if you are going to be using it for hours upon hours getting to high levels in Hell difficulty.
Quote:This is still a good thread and deserves to stay current. My only real piece of advice is select a character class you enjoy playing if you are going to be using it for hours upon hours getting to high levels in Hell difficulty.

Whoa, Holy Thread Necromancy Batman!

I find it funny that I posted advice about a Hammerdin, since over 2 years after that post I started playing Diablo II again in Single Player for a few months. My first character? A Hammerdin :P

But after a physical hard drive failure (awakening to one horrible grinding sound), the characters were lost and with it my want to continue playing.

Cheers,
Munk
Quote:Whoa, Holy Thread Necromancy Batman!

I find it funny that I posted advice about a Hammerdin, since over 2 years after that post I started playing Diablo II again in Single Player for a few months. My first character? A Hammerdin :P

But after a physical hard drive failure (awakening to one horrible grinding sound), the characters were lost and with it my want to continue playing.

Cheers,
Munk
As of May 2007, a simple and effective build is still

No twink Javazon

Max Charged Strike
Max Lgt Fury
Max Poison Jav
Max Plague
No valk. One point in Decoy for tactical usage.

Any + skills you can get is nice bonus. Easy places to find it?

Sigon's Shield, if you fid it.
Gambling for + zon circlets
Gambling for + zon amulets
You will find Zon javs, save your imbues for Ceremonial or Matriarchical Zon javs.
Easy to gamble + 1 Jav skills gloves.

If you find a two socket hat/circlet, save an ort. When you find a Sol, which usually drop for you by the end of NM, you have +1 skills.

All said and done, easy to get to 24 skills just by stumbling over it.

We can get into an esoteric discussion about when and why to put points into Pierce, but higher pierce makes for a more lethal Lightning Fury for thinning out mobs, Charged Strike owns large bosses.

I have killed Hell Diablo in less than a minute with CHG strike, going face to face.

Merc Choice?

That varies. I'd recommend an Act II Might or Holy Freeze merc, though I tend to go for Defiance mercs just because. *shrugs* Personal Taste. The key to killing Hell Ancients is a high mana pool, and either an insight merc or a Merc with high life steal. The Plague Jav fully synergized really helps, as do boots of run walk speed to stay out of their way.

YMMV

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

yupp, I have one of those. Except that she doesn't use CS for Bosses. But then again - she was build for one thing back then - c.o.w.s. :whistling:

Oh, and I think CoonerTheRed's DisposaSorc fits the description nicely.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I had pretty good luck with a rabies/poison build. Get you a defensive merc from Act 2 for frost effects in nightmare and you're in. Sure any class will benefit from twinking, however I'm running pretty nicely with my druid. (Even though it isn't a bnet character, its one I play at home on tcp/ip with my 3 roommates)