What happened to .swf....
All trollish behaviour on my part will desist immedietly.

Annoying avatar replaced with an ownage Harry Potter icon.

Apologies to all, specifically ShadowHM, Munkay, and Griselda.

You people are my family. Thank you for catching me before I fell.
unrealshadow13,Jun 2 2004, 02:30 AM Wrote:ownage
Excuse me?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Munkay,Jun 2 2004, 12:44 AM Wrote:A few years ago scrolling marquees were the 2nd most annoying java script used on websites (the first being the damn 'slider' fades people put on exit or entering of sites).
What's this "slider" thing? I've seen annoying mouse trails where they put some "clever" line like their personal motto, then make it follow your mouse about. I'm guessing marquees are the horizontally scrolling words that roll across the top of the webpage.

By the way, Alchemy Mindworks has a program called Gif Workshop that's free(you only pay to remove their "This program made with an unregistered version" tag from the completed file)
The slider thing was when webmasters scripted a 5 to 10 second gradient fade, usually to black, when the user exited the website. There were a million different effects, 'fly in from the right' or 'vertical blinds.' During the effect the user was stuck waiting for it to finish.

It drove me nuts. :blink:

-Munk
Quote:Excuse me?

Sorry. Forgot 1337 wasn't allowed -_-; but I don't think it qualifies as 1337 since there are no numbers. Am I in trouble?
I wouldn't go that far, but that sort of thing is very much frowned upon as it is a valid representative of the darkness Out There® beyond the safe borders Bolty has created for us. The shadows continue to creep in through the sewage and pop-up in the midst of our little community here. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but arun_croll is an example of one such shadow, bringing in The Plague of Stupidity that is running rampant throughout the rest of "The Net", into our happy, happy home.

I wouldn't, and I don't suspect Bolty would either, go so far as to deny you your right of writing in your posts - what many falsely consider a "word" - 'ownage." There are rules, but I still think freedom of speech is held high in this Fortress of Fortitude, therefore we like to convince, persuade rather than force or make you do somethihg. It should be noted, even though it's painfully obvious, that this is merely one "man's" opinion. I may be dead wrong. Perhaps Bolty has a stricter control over the content; I doubt it, but it's possible. Also, although I might frown upon the 'word' "ownage", it might be totally accepted among others. I know we've had some discussions about this in the past concerning the abbreviated version of "laughing out loud."

Perhaps others could share their opinions or comments?
Quote:Perhaps others could share their opinions or comments?

It's better than pwnage. :D
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 2 2004, 03:13 PM]Perhaps others could share their opinions or comments?
I am as guilty as anyone here of making up words, but mine are unintentional and generally a slip of the fingers. When the common internet vernacular is used by a poster to express their main point, it makes me question the information they are trying to convey. However, there is, in my humble opinion (note the lack of the common abbreviation), a good use for such phrasing. That is when mocking those who revel in its use such as when describing a player coming into a game using his "1337 5ki11z" to aggravate other players. I think the forum regulars do a great job of setting posters straight and the forum moderators generally pick up any slack that is left.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Baajikiil,Jun 2 2004, 07:04 PM Wrote:It's better than pwnage.  :D
Yes, and a sledge hammer to one's knees is better than higher up and slightly to the center.
Quote: Yes, and a sledge hammer to one's knees is better than higher up and slightly to the center.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but just so you don't get mad, I shall now refer to my avatar as my 'swell Harry Potter icon.'
unrealshadow13,Jun 2 2004, 04:33 PM Wrote:I don't think it's that big of a deal, but just so you don't get mad, I shall now refer to my avatar as my 'swell Harry Potter icon.'
I won't speak on anyone elses behalf, rather explain how I read the situation from another viewpoint.

As I see it, the lurkerlounge is a very rare commodity on the internet. Its rare to find a forum that is truly intellectually stimulating while keeping a good balance of humor and light heartedness. Here the points are what matter, and as a lurker I come to read the multitude of differing opinions. There are a very limited number of trolls, and people (generally) put thought and care into each post. With so many opinions, there needs to be a common way to communicate. This forum uses English (not Ancient Greek, Elvish, Chinese or Squiggly lines) as its form of communication. It is my opinion, and truly just an opinion, that abbreviations are counterproductive (It often takes more time for the reader to decode them, then it would for the poster to type them out), and "leet speak" a butchering of the English language. This is a very extreme view perhaps, though it is one I stand by. It takes more time and effort to type in multiple "modified versions of English," such as "leet speak" etc, than it does to type in one standard: English.

I'm a big believer that grammar mistakes happen, I'm sure this post has a few, but failing to proof read or purposely taking time to 'modify' English should not happen.

I do not think I am speaking alone when I say that as soon as I see "leet speak," numerous errors, or over abundant abbreviations, a light in my head turns on that says 'idiot.' A point written sloppily, with numerous mistakes and purposeful misspellings does not carry the same message as one written clearly in proper English.

-Munk

To end on a light note, I used to be a very sloppy poster. No one holds a grudge, and there really are no apologies needed. Lead by action! :)