Difficulty of act bosses
Has anyone else noticed that the act bosses are all a LOT harder in 1.10 than 1.09?
Mephisto and duriel seem to be, at least in normal. Of course, the whole game is harder.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Yeah, is it just me, or is the whole difficulty of the game scaled up to a, say, ridiculous level?
I don't think Blizzard understands that some people play Single Player.
It's just you. It is harder than 1.09, yes, but then again 1.09 was easy.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Are you going to provide any evidence for that claim, or just leave it hanging there ad hominem style?

There are already differences between ladder and non-ladder/single player designed to make the ladder environment more challenging and, thusly, non-ladder and single player easier.
The game increased in difficulty dramatically, even off the ladder.

There is an 'edit' command you can use to avoid double-posting, by the way.
Quote:There is an 'edit' command you can use to avoid double-posting, by the way.

It's not double-posting if it's replies to two different posts in a thread.
Quote:There are already differences between ladder and non-ladder/single player designed to make the ladder environment more challenging and, thusly, non-ladder and single player easier.

There are differences between ladder and non-ladder, yes. However, SP is considered ladder for this purpose.
I have to hand it to you... You prove (prooved?) your point well there... EL OH EL
adeyke,May 30 2004, 07:45 PM Wrote:There are differences between ladder and non-ladder, yes.  However, SP is considered ladder for this purpose.
Oh.

Whoops. :D

Edit: btw, I forgot to introduce myself to you earlier; I was just in an AB game with you and your barb in early act 5. Nobody really needed much healing though, and there is a distinct lack of undead in early act 5... :unsure:
unrealshadow13,May 30 2004, 10:34 PM Wrote:I have to hand it to you... You prove (prooved?) your point well there... EL OH EL
"Proved".

My point was that it was not "ridiculously" difficult, and you still haven't provided any evidence to back up your assertion to the contrary. Perhaps when you have finished pointing your finger at me and laughing, and telling me off in a patronising manner for not breaking rules, you'd like to do so?

I need make no further comment on "EL OH EL".
unrealshadow13,May 30 2004, 01:58 PM Wrote:There is an 'edit' command you can use to avoid double-posting, by the way.
There are also quite a few people who use the Threaded View. It may look like it's a double post in the Linear View, but it definately isn't that way in the Threaded version.

Edit: Grammar.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
... it was YOU who proved your point well there this time. EL OH EL.

On topic:

To me only normal Duriel seems to be dangerous, I've never had problems with any of the other act bosses. Oh, except maybe Mephisto regularly killing poor Wendy with his ice orb. :(

Of course, I'd never take on Diablo with my fire and lightning resists below 70. Maybe 50 for ranged characters. The risk isn't worth taking in HC.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Not true to most of my characters, but since I am enjoying my ES sorc so much, I thought I'd share:
Nightmare Duriel fails to stop my mana regeneration, let alone damage me. I wish one could do a movie not only screenshots (yes, I know, keep pressing the printscreen button and make an animgif of the output -- not a chance), but it was funny to watch him trying to scratch me for a few minutes. (Then again, when I got bored with his pathetic attempts at harming me, I tried to kill him with a 1-mastery ORB and a lev 4/1 nova, and I bet he was making screenshots like mad, since it took me about 2 minutes to take him down from 1/3 to dead... ah well, the price to pay for safety :))
Caaroid,May 31 2004, 08:43 AM Wrote:Nightmare Duriel fails to stop my mana regeneration, let alone damage me.
... normal Duriel and seems dangerous. Less and less so. Maybe I just got used to resurrecting mercs, though. :) The reason I find him dangerous is that my characters usually don't have much life/defense/killing power when they face him and his damage is a wee bit high for such chars. Plus, I don't consider myself an experienced player.

In NM all my chars have their primary skill maxed (or nearly maxed) when they face him so he's definitely off the danger list as far as I'm concerned. The ancients are another story altogether, but they're not an act boss.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Ok, we can keep this going :)
SO while it is not true to most of my characters, it is fun to watch NM ancients fail to damage my ES sorceress :P.

Ok, if one of them is MB it is a different issue, but otzherwise it feels good to be able to tank all three of them at once :)
... I'll go make an ES sorceress and get her killed by a quill rat. :P
(I'll equip her with Malice to make it possible)
-- Ford Prefect
Hehe, actually a mana burn quill rat would kill her rather quickly :) It is really funny to watch her tank nm lister, then die from a mana burn carver :)
I agree TOTALLY.