Looking to become a first time mozilla user
DeeBye,May 28 2004, 02:14 AM Wrote:

• <>
  • Adblock
    Very powerful adblocker.&nbsp; It even blocks Flash ads.&nbsp; You can block ads based on wildcards (ie. ads.*)

<>
    [st]
Oh yeah, Adblock!

I have to admit, my experience the first time I made a filter to block some annoying ads (including a bunch of flash ads) to immediately see them disappear leaving the contents of the page intact was borderline erotic.

Get Adblock. Get it now. And feel the power of browsing the way you want.
To throw some wood on this fire, you can see my browser displaying DeeBye's broswer displaying LochnarITB's browser displaying DeeBye's browser here. As you can see, my setup is pretty standard and not quite so small as the other ones. But at least it's somewhat colorful. :)
-TheDragoon
Here is a slightly resized picture of TheDragoon's browser displaying DeeBye's broswer displaying LochnarITB's browser displaying DeeBye's browser.

I take a minimalistic approach to browsing as well, but note the default icon set. Firefox 0.8 broke a lot of compatability with themes, and I couldn't use some of the smaller-buttoned themes that I used to, and I havn't bothered to check them again yet.
Umm don't you mean 0.8? AFAIK there is no 0.9.
Firefox

Nomad25055 :huh:
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
He meant the up-and-coming version 0.9.
Ah, I see. Very nice.

Nomad25055 :P
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
I believe it when I see it. I've been using the newest Logitech drivers since like version 6.4 and I have never had one version work right with the scoll wheel/button and I've used a few versions that claim to fix it.

Nothing against you Walkiry, I just have a love hate with Logitech. Their hardware is generally sooooooo much nicer feeling for me and their drivers have some great features, which I love. But then their drivers break so many things that other drivers don't.... I'll have to download the newest version again and try it. What are they at now 9.9 something? Maybe the 30th time is the charm...

Edit: No, it's not, it's still 9.791 for the newest, which does not fix those problems. Scroll wheel doesn't zoom in Sacred, middle button doesn't work to open in new tab or close a tab in Firefox.... Sigh.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I remember having this problem with my MX500... and changed the middle scroll options somehow to get it working.

Let's see what my Mouse control panel says ... I changed button '6' (The middle scroll button) from "Universal Scroll" to "Middle Button".

Try that out.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
For everyone posting screenshots of your browser window, don't use .jpg as a file format. Jpg is a lossy image format meant for true to life or photo quality images. Gif or (better yet) .png is ideal for window screenshots. The images will be very sharp, and very small in filesize.

For more information on when to use what image filetype, check out this informative webpage.
Although PNG is wonderful, I have a habit of making files as small as possible when it comes to putting them on the web publically. The same image, saved under PNG, was roughtly 400KB (I had orignally intended to post it as PNG, but thought it too large). The JPEG version is slightly under 90KB.
YZilla,May 28 2004, 09:02 PM Wrote:Although PNG is wonderful, I have a habit of making files as small as possible when it comes to putting them on the web publically. The same image, saved under PNG, was roughtly 400KB (I had orignally intended to post it as PNG, but thought it too large). The JPEG version is slightly under 90KB.
Something is wrong with your image editting thingie then. The 800x600 .png I posted was a scant 38 kb, and it looks a million times better than any .jpg would.

Are you sure you didn't convert it to .jpg first and then try to convert it to .png? That would explain the large filesize.
Did a quick google search and it seems that Photoshop, and I found out that I have to say through "Save for web..." to access the compression settings. It's now down to a more managable ~100kB.
YZilla,May 28 2004, 09:53 PM Wrote:Did a quick google search and it seems that Photoshop, and I found out that I have to say through "Save for web..." to access the compression settings. It's now down to a more managable ~100kB.
It still shows what looks like .jpg artificing. Take the screenshot again and redo the "save for web" procedure. I can guarantee that you will get a very sharp windows screenshot with a very small filesize utilizing .png.

Here's a screenshot I just took. It's only 28 kb, and looks perfect.

The procedure using Photoshop is a snap.

-Hit Print Screen (or Alt+Print Screen if you just want a shot of the current window)
-Open Photoshop
-File->New (the size will correctly default to whatever is in the clipboard)
-Edit->Paste
-File->Save for Web
-Select "PNG-8 128 Dithered" for a supersmall filesize at great quality
-PROFIT

DON'T resize the image within Photoshop before saving as .png. As long as you link to the image instead of displaying it in a post, you shouldn't need to.
Alright, alright, here it is, un-resized, 8-bit dithered PNG screenshot.

Happy now? ;) :lol:
Previous screenshot displayed on Firefox on my Linux machine. The desktop is Xfce4, with Firefox running the Pinball theme. (248kB)