Looking to become a first time mozilla user
The one thing I absolutely love about Firefox is how easily you can browse with only your keyboard.

There is a feature called "bookmark keywords" that assigns certain words to bookmarks in your bookmark list. This feature also allows you to pass arguments to the bookmark. For example, by default, Firefox has "google" as a keyword for standard-, and "goto" for I-Fell-Lucky search on google.

For example, if I were to want to look up the page that explains bookmark keywording while I'm typing this post, instead of reaching for my mouse, I can simply alt+D to select the address bar, type in "google firefox bookmark keyword", alt+enter to open up the results in a new tab, use search-link-as-you-type to browse to a good match, alt+D then ctrl+C to copy the link, close the new tab with ctrl+W, and I'm right back in this page again. I had to manually select this textbox with the mouse, but still sure saved me a lot of clicking. It seems like a lot of things to remember, but once you get used to it, it's almost second nature. In fact, I have problems using the browsers installed at school since I can't use all the keyboard features I usually do.

(Although the above sequence is most convinient, I often end up opening the tab manually due to an annoyance caused by a known bug. Also, occasionally websites will reserve alt+d for accessing fields, like dictionary.com, in which case F6 can be used instead.)

Oh, by the way, the page I ended up browsing to was this. It's not from the official sites, but explains the process of adding keywords very well.

Currently, I have keywords to do google, wikipedia, dictionary, acronym, and a few other searches. I also have keywrods that opens me up to a few of my favorite sites, including this forum.

Have fun with Firefox. :)
Alright alright alrigth alright... :D

Seems like tabbed has quite a few fans around here. Mayhaps I'll give it a try - and get addicted :ph34r: ...

@YZilla: doesn't seem to work for me. I'm using, as I said before, Mozilla 1.6; and I cannot change tabs by using <ctrl>+<number>, whereas <ctrl>+<w> closes them alright. Now what's up with my browser?

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Yes, a new avatar. But, not a crusader exactly. Actually, I'm partial to the Order of the Knights Templar. To me it's an interesting historical example of the European fighting monk, or Paladin. My other avatar was a horse mounted Templar Knight.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Possibly a Firefox only feature.

Although they share the same redering engine, and Firefox is technically distributed under the name "Mozilla Firefox", the overlaying GUI as well as some underlying control features are completely different.
DeeBye,May 27 2004, 02:21 PM Wrote:When I first heard about tabbed browsing, I didn't really see the big deal about it either, but when I started actually using it I found that I couldn't browse the old fashioned way again.
Walkiry,May 27 2004, 03:11 PM Wrote:Tabbed browsing gets a bit to get used to, at first I didn't see any advantages either. That changed.

Must... convert... the world...

I first discovered tabbed browsing with the last version of Netscape I used. It seemed like they were really playing up this great new feature and I decided I might as well give it a whirl. Big mistake. Now I have to have it. I would bet that IE will soon add this feature as it is just way too handy to not have it included. I'm sure microsoft thinks their way is the best way but they have never been shy about adding someone else's kitchen sink to their products.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Nice. Very helpful information YZilla. I now find it so hard to use other browsers, I can't live without my tabs :blink: . Before Firefox I would sometimes have as many as 14 windows open. WAY to many things to just alt+tab, Firefox has revolutionized my browsing. Any other useful features I might need to know about? I have already started using a few plug-ins. Such as a cookie manager, a tab scroller, and Tab X (Puts a little x on the tabs to close them with.). And am considering a couple more.

Nomad25055 ;)
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
Nomad25055,May 27 2004, 09:10 PM Wrote:and Tab X (Puts a little x on the tabs to close them with.). And am considering a couple more.
I saw this and thought, "Ooooh, another extension I need to go get!" I installed it and discovered it didn't work. I then tried turning off my other tab enhancements and found that it then worked. One of the other tab extensions was already using that function. I then thought I should try the middle button. Sure enough, clicking the middle button on a tab closes that tab. :) I don't know if this is a feature of vanilla Firefox or if one of my extensions adds it (couldn't find an option in any of my extensions for it) but this thing just gets better and better. If I look hard enough, surely I will find some key/click combination that summons a gorgeous female to deliver a diet Sunkist Lemonade on ice, a platter of nachos and salsa and to provide a nice foot massage. :D Life is good!

[edit]Lemonade not Lemobade - Fruedian slip of the keyboard? A little too close to babe given what I had just written. :blink:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:. One of the other tab extensions was already using that function. I then thought I should try the middle button. Sure enough, clicking the middle button on a tab closes that tab.

Cool! It is a normal feature. :) Consider me a forced* Firefox user who enjoys it. :) And I have a very minimalistic approach to my web browsing (I'm considering upping my options, though, since I suddenly decided not too long ago to use full screen mode to browse. I just wish I could keep the status bar at the bottom while getting rid of everything else, but still be able to bring everything else back at the touch of a button. :)

*Read my posts in "Intrusion Detection and Prevention".
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't find an option to arrange my bookmarks in alphabetical order anywhere. I tried going into the bookmark manager and doing alphabetical sorting within the manager, but after I close it and click on Bookmarks, they appear all unsorted again. What am I doing wrong?
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

- Manowar
I for one am not sure it's a normal feature or not. I di not find this option anywhere. I only found this after installing the Tab Browser extension. As for the bookmark question, I have no idea whats going on. I haven't even tried to put my bookmarks in alphabetical order. For all I know they are already in order.

Nomad25055 :rolleyes:

P.S. Google search bar = Very handy feature
Nomad25055,May 27 2004, 04:10 PM Wrote:Any other useful features I might need to know about? I have already started using a few plug-ins. Such as a cookie manager, a tab scroller, and Tab X (Puts a little x on the tabs to close them with.). And am considering a couple more.
The extensions I can't live without are:
  • Adblock
    Very powerful adblocker. It even blocks Flash ads. You can block ads based on wildcards (ie. ads.*)
    <>
  • Text Links
    Fairly simple but extremely useful extension. Simply highlight any non-hyperlinked URL and open the link in a new tab via the context menu.

<>
  • Tabbrowser Extensions
    Even more improvements to refine and customise browsing with tabs.

<>
  • Copy Image
    Copies any image to the clipboard via the context menu.

<>
  • Download Statusbar
    I find the standard download manager annoying, and Download Statusbar is a nice replacement.

<>
  • Firesomething
    Why use Firefox when you can use Powerzebra, Firepanda, or even Moonemu?<>
    [st]
Ashkael,May 27 2004, 06:00 PM Wrote:I maybe just stupid, but I don't find an option to arrange my bookmarks in alphabetical order anywhere. I tried going into the bookmark manager and doing alphabetical sorting within the manager, but after I close it and click on Bookmarks, they appear all unsorted again. What am I doing wrong?
I'm pretty sure you can just export the bookmark file as a HTML list and then use a program of your choice (like MS Word) to alphabetize it, then import the bookmarks again.
The middle button to close is a normal feature since I have an install with no extensions and use it all the time. I also use the middle button to open all the items in a folder on the bookmarks toolbar tab in seperate tabs. Hugely handy at work where i need to use tools on about 18 different pages and can get them all up with one click.

I do know that the Logitech mouse drivers will break this though (just like they break the middle button and scroll wheel in a lot of other things).
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Thansk DeeBye. Now to check out some Half-Life 2 Trailers. Go go Mozilla PowerDonkey :P

Nomad25055 :D
Ashkael,May 27 2004, 11:00 PM Wrote:Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't find an option to arrange my bookmarks in alphabetical order anywhere. I tried going into the bookmark manager and doing alphabetical sorting within the manager, but after I close it and click on Bookmarks, they appear all unsorted again. What am I doing wrong?
Do you have the Sort Bookmarks extension installed on your Firefox? I have no problems sorting, other than having to move back the ones I want out of place. When you go into the bookmarks manager, are you choosing a sort method under the view menu? I think this only applies to the view within the manager. Perhaps that is why you are experiencing this. I think you have to actually drag and drop the bookmarks to truly rearrange them within the manager but you can do that right in the sidebar too.

I can see where it can be difficult to discuss the function of Firefox given all the possible extensions. I am sometimes not certain if a feature is part of the vanilla version or one of the extensions I added.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Bookmark sorting is not built into Firefox.

The sorting in the bookmarks manager is purely for the list you see, and does not affect the ordering of the bookmarks themselves. (hence why it's under View)
Just to add one more advantage of Mozilla (both the browser included in the complete suite and Firefox): It is portable. I love the fact that I can use the same browser on different OSs :)
It's a known fact that Tabbrowser Extensions bring with it bloat and compatability issues with javascript and sometimes even Mozilla browsers themselves. Infact, an earlier version of this often-discussed extension would corrupt the profile folder if installed on to a browser whose version it did not support.

An alternative to it is Tabbrowser Preferences, which unlocks a few hidden settings that control tab behaviour. You can also manually modify the tab settings through about:config. Enter "about:config" into your address bar, then enter "tab" into the filter field to only show the relevant entries. The ones not covered by Tabbrowser Preferences are all boolean values, and are faily self-explanatory. I currently have browser.tabs.loadInBackground set to false so that any links opened in a new tab will immediately have focus.

It's not as power as having Extensions, but sufficient unless you absolutely must have the functionalities offered by Extensions.
Yeah, I used to use TBE until one specific episode I had with it. Tried a new Firebird nightly, and it wouldn't open with TBE installed (got stuck on a TBE dialog). So I clean out my profile, check out TBE's page and see it has a release that fixes the startup bug. So I install that and try again. Same thing happens again. Never installed TBE again.

Since then I've noticed how much faster Firefox is without TBE. In addition to using Tabbrowser Preferences, there's many other small extensions that add one feature or another that's in TBE. Just check out the extensions list and try a few.

Note that Firefox 0.9 finalizes the Extensions and Themes code. This means all extensions and themes have to be updated to support it, but it includes uninstall (finally functional) and auto-update. Should be much nicer to use (I've been hesitant to grab a nightly of it b/c of other problems).
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Gnollguy,May 28 2004, 02:31 AM Wrote:I do know that the Logitech mouse drivers will break this though (just like they break the middle button and scroll wheel in a lot of other things).
Newsflash: Latest version of the Logitech Mouseware FIXES those problems! No, seriously! My mouse wheel, middle click and the rest of the buttons now work properly even in games. Yay!