A Thesis on Trolls
Apparently, some girl (woman?) wrote her doctoral thesis on trolls. You know, the kind of trolls that get flamed, nuked, and eventually banned here and everywhere else.

It seems a "little" short for a doctoral thesis, though. Mayhap it's been summarized? Or maybe those hyperlinks were written into the original document?

The Thesis on Trolls
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Other issues were raised with such surprising regularity that one must conclude that virtually all Malicious trolls have both erectile dysfunction and suffer frequent enuresis. The average IQ of this group was 83.

Much as we love "malicious" trolls, I really doubt any accurate empirical study could find this.
I copied the the thing into Microsoft Word, and ran a word count: 4900. That's not a thesis. That's an undergraduate essay.

The thesis I must write in two years has to be about 10-20 times this size. Hopefully The Lounge will be here in two years, so I get to pick your brains for ideas. If I'm allowed, I'm going to write about Language and The Internet.

Back on topic:
I have to agree with Foxbat here; I can't see how she can back up her statements.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,May 26 2004, 08:19 AM]

The thesis I must write in two years has to be about 10-20 times this size. Hopefully The Lounge will be here in two years, so I get to pick your brains for ideas. If I'm allowed, I'm going to write about Language and The Internet..
:blink: Don't look at me , I can't pick my brains , hopefully there will be some of mine left so I can read your thesis when it's done ;) !
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Most assuredly it is as evidenced by this quote from a mail log on the site in regards to removing content from the site:

Quote:On a final note, I am quite amazed that someone smart enough to check my mail
headers and root out my name from wherever you found it (VRML list?) still hasn't
figured out that the paper was never submitted anywhere to anyone for any reason.
The whole thing is a hoax, you nob.
:unsure:

I think I should have thoroughly read the thing before posting it :blink:
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
So, the question is, was the person who wrote the thesis trolling? If so, does the author claim to have the characteristincs of the trolls s/he described? :lol:
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
... that she does not have the characteristics ascribed to trolls. As I read somewehere in the text, most trolls seem to be seriously into doing hard drugs (there was a statistic somewhere), that's why I hope she does not share these characteristics :-)

Anyway, I must say that I only skipped thorugh the text, seeing that the author's name was given as "Amy Dhala". If I remember correctly, Amidhala (may have mispelled it) is a reincarnation of Buddha, so the name made me a little bit cautious in regard to the text. Of course, there might be an Amy Dhala out there, but it just got my attention.

Take care,
Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Oof, this is basically a blog rant poorly disguised as a "thesis".

Besides the jargon and the references to various psychological theories I cannot find any scientific method in this document whatsoever.

I would certainly not like to defend this, that's true.