Going Where I Don't Belong
As I've noted before, it's possible to climb just about ANY mountain in WoW. Blizzard cannot stop you from getting somewhere just by putting a mountain range in the way, at least in this push. Yesterday I found myself wondering what was north of Durotar, which is a place that has no marking on the continent map. So I grabbed my level 38 mage and went climbing. :)

What ensued was a grand adventure through all of northern Kalimdor. Here's the account, with tons of screenshots!

The view north of Durotar. I had climbed the ridges east of Orgrimmar using my illegal climbing method. I headed north.

I came down in a land named Aszhara, and was promptly killed by a level 52 dragon via an instant kill spell. "Unknown Being casts Death Touch on you for 990 hps. You die." FINE. We'll do it the easy way, then! With me dead, I could be free to explore as I like and never have to worry about taking falling damage. As it turns out, there's no way I would have survived my climbs anyway - but I'll get to that. Now dead, I returned to Aszhara, and noticed the mountain range to the north that is obviously designed to stop you from going that way.

Knowing I can climb anything, I just headed north. I climbed multiple stages of impossibly vertical cliffs to reach the top, only to note that further off to the north were even HIGHER mountains!

I was now in Winterspring, but there was absolutely NOTHING there except a road. Nothing textured, no objects, nothing. So I made my way north up the road to Hyjal. Hyjal was a big place, comprising the entire northern cul-de-sac of mountains of Kalimdor, and as I understand it, it's the place where Warcraft III ends (pre-expansion). I followed the road through Hyjal as it wound through the mountains, ever going upward.

On the way, I encountered quite a few things, like this tower. It didn't look right - the texturing was very simplistic and did not have the detailing that other places do in the game. I got closer to the tower to take a look inside only to see that it was closed off (and had floating props, too!).

Further up the road. More exploration. Until I came to a sight that was really amazing - a gigantic crater that looked like it was caused by an immense meteor.

North, always north and up...until I found what I was looking for, the Tree of Eternity, the end goal of Warcraft III (pre-expansion). This tree was enormous, stretching up into the sky for, well, miles? At its base was the remains of Warcraft III's Big Bad Guy, who I believe was named Archimonde.

The road ended there, but I headed north. I had not realized how far UP I had gone in the world, crossing over 2 or 3 impossibly high mountain ranges and STILL going up through Hyjal. On the northern side of the canyon where the Tree was, I climbed a ridge and looked down...into nothing....

....and fell, and fell, down such a distance as to kill anything alive. I just kept falling and falling. When I got to the bottom, I turned around on multiple occasions just to observe how darn far I had fallen. But I wasn't done.

Back in Winterspring, I headed south, where once again I found myself falling down to new areas. After another fall, I found what I thought was the edge of the world, but it was really just a sheer cliff so high that you couldn't see the bottom. Notice in that shot the little block of ocean water in the upper right? Very wild. :)

So I jumped, of course! Midway down I actually started to see the ground. When I hit bottom (which would have killed me, of course, but I'd be dead 50 times over from the earlier falls), I looked up.

I was in a plain of nothingness, one of those untextured areas where you're not supposed to be able to get to. Mind you, this is at the very northern tip of Kalimdor now.

I headed north, climbing a ridge and looking back down at the area I was just in. You can see a strange looking formation on the right side of that screenshot. I headed to investigate, but not without a quick look up at the range I had just fallen from. It's hard to explain just how far I had gone UP to get to these illegal areas, and then how far DOWN I subsequently fell as I headed back to the sea in northern Kalimdor. Wish I had video of it. :)

So, check out this odd formation of spikes coming from the ground. I headed north. Once again, I fell a distance, then looked up to let it sink in.

My adventure ended when I fell into a pit that there was no getting out of. My illegal mountian climbing trick requires a slight ramp before you hit a vertical wall, but there were nothing but 100% vertical walls where I was, so I couldn't get a foothold. I used /stuck and returned to Ashenvale.

What a time. Always fun to see areas that aren't yet developed and places where Blizzard doesn't want you to go. The only shame of it is, since I was dead, I couldn't see what monsters populated these regions.

Hope you enjoyed this writeup!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Hi,

And great screen shots. I wonder if those are the tallest peaks in WoW. I hereby dub thee Sir Bolty Hillary :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Cool! Out of curiosity, what was the open GM ticket regarding? It shows up in all your screenshots.
Quote:As I've noted before, it's possible to climb just about ANY mountain in WoW. Blizzard cannot stop you from getting somewhere just by putting a mountain range in the way, at least in this push.

I came down in a land named Aszhara, and was promptly killed by a level 52 dragon via an instant kill spell. "Unknown Being casts Death Touch on you for 990 hps. You die."

I climbed a ridge and looked down...into nothing.... ....and fell, and fell, down such a distance as to kill anything alive. I just kept falling and falling. When I got to the bottom, I turned around on multiple occasions just to observe how darn far I had fallen.

Back in Winterspring, I headed south, where once again I found myself falling down to new areas. After another fall, I found what I thought was the edge of the world, but it was really just a sheer cliff so high that you couldn't see the bottom.

So I jumped, of course! Midway down I actually started to see the ground.

So, check out this odd formation of spikes coming from the ground.

Bolty...
  • Defies Blizzard's mandate of "what one is supposed to do"
    <>
  • Dies to omnipotent unseen forces
    <>
  • Climbs mountains only to jump off
    <>
  • Plummets from summits with no clear view of the ground
    <>
  • Leaps onto ground riddled wth spikes<>
    [st]
    That sounds like something I'd do! You know, what with all the insanity and the impossibly fatal sorts of things.

Well, I must say this write-up more than any other has peaked my interest in WoW. :)

-Lemmy
I most enjoyed the Archimonde screenshot ... nice touch by Blizzard! Now I want to play the game just to get to the Tree.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Now THAT was an interesting beta report! Going to the edge of the world, and beyond! Up and down, infinite mountains... just amazing! Shouldn't even be possible but you did it... all the while taking cool screenshots too! :D

Reminds a a little bit of that desert level in Excitebike 64...
Are you sure that the crater that you saw wasn't from another one of your failed BASE jumping expiditions? :-)

Nice report!

-SaxyCorp
MongoJerry,May 23 2004, 04:10 PM Wrote:Cool!&nbsp; Out of curiosity, what was the open GM ticket regarding?&nbsp; It shows up in all your screenshots.
My character was bugged somewhat - although I wasn't in a group, I could not join nor create one. It had something to do with the server crash during our raid on Stormwind.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I've been trying to improve my climbing skills lately, and I managed to get atop the mountain range that separates Mulgore from Stonetalon Mountains.

Picture

In this first picture, I didn't even realise that I shouldn't have been up here. There was nothing remarkable about it whatsoever, except for the fact that I was literally straddling the Mulgore-Stonetalon border. The smooth openness of the plateau made for a nice jog. I started my trek at the southeast edge of Stonetalon and worked my way westward.

Picture

After awhile the scenery was getting really odd. Even the minimap was goofy. There were huge blocks of land that just weren't there. It looked like an incomplete Lego set.

Picture

Here you can see an enormous rectangular pit on the top of the mountain range. I wanted to jump down, but I didn't think I would survive the fall and I saw no way of getting back out again. Notice how the rectangular tracts on the minimap match up with what I'm looking at.

Picture

I eventually made my way here, right on the western edge of the mountain range. The zigzag cliff looked really out of place. I'm actually right beside Desolace now. You can see part of it at the top of the screen. I managed to make my way around this obstacle and stroll right in. I even found the exact intersection of Mulgore-Stonetalon-Desolace. I could run in a little circle and cycle through the General chat channels very rapidly.

I'm beginning to see how Blizzard needs to take a look at this. Like Bolty says, once you get the hang of it, even the steepest of vertical inclines is a breeze to ascend. As long as it's not completely vertical, it's climbable.
I recently made a really long trek (2 hoursish) south of 1000N, and attempted to walk all the way to the southwest part of Kalimdor. This didn't work out very well, and I don't think I'll ever do this again in the future. It could get me in a lot of trouble. Don't ever go there.

I have some screenshots of interesting stuff in Tanaris (South of 1000N), Ungoro Crater (west of tanaris), and an area west of Ungoro Crater. The area west of Ungoro crater was still named as such, but it was clearly a different zone.

A turtle in Tanaris that gave me a quest (!!)

A neat floating rock at the entrance to Ungoro Crater

A very scary Tyrannosaurus in Ungoro Crater

The area west of ungoro doesn't have much except floating streetlamps.

and floating rocks.

This is as far as I got, an oddly textured area. Don't EVER go near this, or bad bad things will happen. Very bad things.

I also have some screenshots from the Burning Steppes and blackrock mountain, which I unsuccessfully attempted to climb at one point. I'll post them later.
Am I missing something, or do the trees not look more realistic in DII?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Jun 6 2004, 10:14 AM Wrote:Am I missing something, or do the trees not look more realistic in DII?
They do, but warcraft in general is supposed to be more cartoony than diablo.

No, I'm not in the beta but have played and read about warcraft 3.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
There are some ways in which I like D2 better than World of Warcraft right now. But when it comes to landscape graphics, D2 isn't in the same league.