The Pirate Bay
I was just on the Pirate Bay's website today and saw this, "Triumphant Win" sign posted along with a blip about winning bigger in the end. Curious as to what they were talking about, I checked the news and saw this:

Quote:The Pirate Bay Verdict and the Future of File-Sharing

JR Raphael

The verdict against the founders of The Pirate Bay is being hailed by many as a triumphant win against illegal file-sharing. The four men involved in the BitTorrent tracking site were found guilty on Friday of being accessories to violating copyright law. A Swedish court sentenced each of them to a year in jail and a collective fine of $3.6 million.

In the long run, though, the verdict may not be as significant as some suggest when it comes to the battle against online file-sharing. Does the name Napster ring a bell?
The Pirate Bay Ruling

As was the case with Napster, The Pirate Bay doesn't actually host copyrighted files -- it simply allows users to post links to material hosted on third-party servers. That's why, incidentally, prosecutors ended up dropping the initial charge of "assisting copyright infringement" and pursuing only a "assisting making available copyrighted material" charge instead.

"The court said even if you are distributed, you are nevertheless encouraging your customers to violate copyright, and we'll hold you accountable," explains Steve Chang, an attorney specializing in intellectual property matters with Banner & Witcoff.

Napster, of course, ended up effectively boarding up as a result of its lengthy court battle (which, by the way, began exactly one decade ago this December). The Pirate Bay, though, isn't going anywhere yet. Its founders have already indicated they plan to appeal, and the case is expected to head as high as the Supreme Court. Many legal experts expect it could be years before a final verdict is reached.

"It took the entertainment industry three years to get this first verdict," a member of the Swedish "Pirate Party" tells The Register. "If they think they're going to make people stop file sharing, then they're living in a fantasy world."
Beyond the Courts

The bigger issue is that unlike Napster, The Pirate Bay and other modern peer-to-peer-oriented networks are far less centralized and simple to shut down. And, even if The Pirate Bay itself were somehow to be shuttered, there are countless other comparable tracking services all over the world. Could they all be targeted and taken down? It's highly unlikely.

But let's take it a step further. Let's say this whole thing plays out in the high court and The Pirate Bay loses. Let's say BitTorrent completely ceases to exist as a result. (Just play along for a minute.) Would that, then, be the end of online file-sharing?

The answer: of course not. Even in that extreme (and extremely unlikely) scenario, little would be accomplished in the grand scheme of things. Technology is constantly evolving. Just as more advanced decentralized peer-to-peer networks sprung up in the wake of Napster's shutdown, new alternatives would surface once again were a site like The Pirate Bay to lower its sails. Already, countless other methods exist for exchanging data with ease, and more will only pop up as the months wear on.

"In the big scheme of things, piracy is always going to happen," Chang says. "The ramification of this [ruling] is possibly providing the next evolution."
The Evolution

That evolution has already begun. Just recently, The Pirate Bay team prepared a new service called IPREDator, set to launch publicly any day now. It allows people to surf the Net more anonymously using a virtual private network, or VPN. Unlike other VPN services, The Pirate Bay promises its IPREDator will keep no logs of customer activity and therefore could never turn user information over to authorities.

"As in all good movies, the heroes lose in the beginning but have an epic victory in the end," boasts a message posted to The Pirate Bay Web site Friday morning. "That's the only thing Hollywood ever taught us."

If there's one Hollywood analogy to be made, it's that this storyline is far from finished. Rest assured, more sequels are on the way.

So, how is this a triumphant win for The Pirate Bay founders? And for people who keep getting mad at me for posting an entire article and the link, here is my logic because I'm sick of hearing it: I post the link to validate my claims, and I post the entire article because eventually, most news links on the net go dead, usually after a few months, so if the conversation is ever revisited and the initial article is gone, the conversation is fruitless.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I was just on the Pirate Bay's website today and saw this, "Triumphant Win" sign posted along with a blip about winning bigger in the end. Curious as to what they were talking about, I checked the news and saw this:
So, how is this a triumphant win for The Pirate Bay founders? And for people who keep getting mad at me for posting an entire article and the link, here is my logic because I'm sick of hearing it: I post the link to validate my claims, and I post the entire article because eventually, most news links on the net go dead, usually after a few months, so if the conversation is ever revisited and the initial article is gone, the conversation is fruitless.

Some more reading:

http://www.thelocal.se/18908.html

http://www.thelocal.se/18930/20090417/
Hi,

Quote:I was just on the Pirate Bay's website today and saw this, "Triumphant Win" sign posted along with a blip about winning bigger in the end. . . .

So, how is this a triumphant win for The Pirate Bay founders?
They didn't get squished like an annoying bug, so they figured they won? Couldn't find their web site (didn't try very hard) so I didn't get their side of the story (if any).

These events point out the stupidity of those who do not or cannot adapt to evolving technology. Without addressing whether 'sharing' of intellectual property is right or wrong, the fact remains that it is trivially possible. Rather than trying to force obsolete and ineffective laws to cover situations way beyond their original scope, those who want to stop the 'piracy' need to reexamine the problem and their proposed solutions.

Quote:And for people who keep getting mad at me for posting an entire article and the link, here is my logic because I'm sick of hearing it: I post the link to validate my claims, and I post the entire article because eventually, most news links on the net go dead, usually after a few months, so if the conversation is ever revisited and the initial article is gone, the conversation is fruitless.
Fair enough. However, the reason those links go dead is because no one cares about that subject anymore. Which is the same reason that the thread usually does not get resurrected. Suit yourself;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Wow, this is crazy! I know it's not a supreme court ruling, however if the ruling sticks, it could potentially label every site who has links to "illegal" material - i.e. google amongst many others - liable in Sweden. If this case goes all the way to the supreme court, there is no way the government can win it - too many parties with special interests involved IMO.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Couldn't find their web site (didn't try very hard) so I didn't get their side of the story (if any).
thepiratebay.org?
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I didn't make it through the entire 25 minute press conference, but I'm pretty sure the Epic Win is just wishful thinking about how this is going to turn out on appeal.

It's important not to gloss over the details and make broad assumptions about the precedent this could set. I don't know, for example, what kind of track record The Pirate Bay has with regards to removing things at the request of the copyright holder. Even choosing a name like "The Pirate Bay" might make it a bit harder to convince a judge that you are a legitimate search engine rather than a warez provider.
Quote:I didn't make it through the entire 25 minute press conference, but I'm pretty sure the Epic Win is just wishful thinking about how this is going to turn out on appeal.

It's important not to gloss over the details and make broad assumptions about the precedent this could set. I don't know, for example, what kind of track record The Pirate Bay has with regards to removing things at the request of the copyright holder. Even choosing a name like "The Pirate Bay" might make it a bit harder to convince a judge that you are a legitimate search engine rather than a warez provider.

The epic win is that it took the government three years to come up with a bull#$%& charge that you could label on pretty much any website, service, etc.. They got nothing, and they're going, "Yeaaah, well, let's just say it's this, massively trump up the sentence, and hope it scares 'em into stopping." And it ain't working.

Oh, and the track record the Pirate Bay has for removing copyrighted files, is that they don't have the copyrighted files on their servers, and when they get emails to remove things or cease and desist letters they post them on the site and mock the sender publicly. Here's the archive.
Quote:The epic win is that it took the government three years to come up with a bull#$%& charge that you could label on pretty much any website, service, etc.. They got nothing, and they're going, "Yeaaah, well, let's just say it's this, massively trump up the sentence, and hope it scares 'em into stopping." And it ain't working.

It would be a logical thing for them to say if they had just gotten an acquittal. Ringing the victory bell right after you are sentenced to a year in prison and millions of dollars in fines is pure denial. There is no guarantee that they will get out of this, and it also leaves them in a more vulnerable position for any civil suits they will get slapped with. Maybe they should have been more like Google with regards to cease and desist orders...
Quote:So, how is this a triumphant win for The Pirate Bay founders?

Because the site is still running as we speak.;)Well ok, that's not really a win, maybe they are just hoping for one. More likely, it's just another troll.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
The lawyer of the pirate bay wants a new proces. It turns out that the judge who made the verdict is a member of several swedish organizations that fight for sharper copyright laws on internet. In other words, he was not impartial.

I think they have a good point here.
Quote:The lawyer of the pirate bay wants a new proces. It turns out that the judge who made the verdict is a member of several swedish organizations that fight for sharper copyright laws on internet. In other words, he was not impartial.

I think they have a good point here.

At least ground for an appeal, and a new judge. If this was in America, could be the equivalent of overturning the verdict. Interesting to say the least.