Is Max Block worth it for a FO MF sorc?
I just want to know whether I should put my points into Dex a mana.
While I don't think blocking is commonly used on sorceresses, there is a certain enjoyment you can get out of blocking Meph's snowball when you know a hit or two would mean certain death.

If that sounds like a fun situation to you, then by all means, go for dex. If not (and I think most people fall into this camp), its best not to worry about blocking at all.

It's a big tradeoff. I've had both, and I've enjoyed both.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I've heard a lot of convincing arguments from people that having max block on any character is worth losing the 2-3 extra vitality points you would have to sacrifice. Really, when you think about it, the sorc only gets 2 hp per vit point, so when you average it out over 50 or so levels, you're only losing 100 hp, which isn't that much in hell if you've got the right equip.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that you use a shield with a high block %, since low block shields will never be able to give you 75% blocking at high levels. That means you won't be able to use something like lidless, but you can use a Rhyme tower shield, Whitsan's Guard or Sigon's Guard (if you still want that extra +1, which isn't really necessary with FO).
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
My mf sorc never dies, and she has 25 dexterity.
Quote: I've heard a lot of convincing arguments from people that having max block on any character is worth losing the 2-3 extra vitality points you would have to sacrifice. Really, when you think about it, the sorc only gets 2 hp per vit point, so when you average it out over 50 or so levels, you're only losing 100 hp, which isn't that much in hell if you've got the right equip.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that you use a shield with a high block %, since low block shields will never be able to give you 75% blocking at high levels. That means you won't be able to use something like lidless, but you can use a Rhyme tower shield, Whitsan's Guard or Sigon's Guard (if you still want that extra +1, which isn't really necessary with FO).

The issue is a bit more complex. First of all, you loose more than 100 hp. The "average" mf sorc is lev 80+ (it is painless to achieve), and to get one's shield block one needs 220 dex. The dex that you need for max blocking depends on the shield used (Whistans needs less, Moser's needs more). This in essence translates to the loss of ~ 400 life, what is could be considered rather significant.

One also has to take the blocking speed into consideration. If you have a high-block slow-speed shield (sigons, anyone?), it might be worse than no block at all.

It all boils down to your equipment. If you wear full tal, that ensures high resists and lots of life, it might be worthwhile to go a high-blocking route. Mind you, I always play with max blocking, but I do realise the costs. My lev 82 MF sorc has ~560 life and ~ 460 mana, since she has over 200 points in dexterity. There are situations (Balrog inferno, Gloams, etc) when a no-block-960 life arrangement would seem more beneficial, but against dolls high blocking is a godsend. And even though it needs different playstyle, it seems that my sorc is more durable than many all-tal sorceresses out there.
another point: it depends on where you want to MF. If you plan to do a lot of Meph runs the need for high block goes up a lot. not just for the ice orb like griselda said, but the undead fetish's on the way down there will eat you apart in a second (no matter how high your life is.) having high block can allow you to, fairly easily, do meph runs where without it you would most likely die on any map where you don't find the stairs in a few seconds.

You shouldn't be in one place on that map for more than a second or two, and you wont be running or walking in most circumstances so you just need to live through those teleports that bring you into a pack of fetish's.

edit: just noticed that caaroid kinda mentioned this.