Acceptable for Ironman?
I've read through the Ironman rules, but there was no mention of SP quest items, so I was wondering if using them is considered acceptable for "pure" Ironman.

Obviously the use of saving/loading is not, and even self-res is not considered pure. So since you've only got one life in SP, perhaps the quest items could be a pro to that con.

However, the Undead Crown might be too powerful. Any thoughts?
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Quote:I've read through the Ironman rules, but there was no mention of SP quest items, so I was wondering if using them is considered acceptable for "pure" Ironman.

In the D2 IM rules, you are allowed to receive quest rewards, even from townspeople. If this is the spirit of things, I think it'd be fine in D1 as well. But Attika plays more IM than anyone I know, and if I'm not mistaken he has SP IM games to his credit. He'll probably have the best answer for you.

Quote:Obviously the use of saving/loading is not...

If you can't physically sit and play the game for hours to finish a round of IM, I don't see that saving the game violates this. Even in MP IM you can "break" at the end of dlvls; SP just makes it much easier to take a break. Of course, saving/loading to "scout ahead" or un-do some unfortunate game event (e.g. death) would be right out.

Quote:... and even self-res is not considered pure. So since you've only got one life in SP, perhaps the quest items could be a pro to that con.

I wouldn't think of it as a trade-off. It's just a different IM environment.

-Lemmy
Quote:If you can't physically sit and play the game for hours to finish a round of IM, I don't see that saving the game violates this. Even in MP IM you can "break" at the end of dlvls; SP just makes it much easier to take a break.
Indeed, I should have been more clear about what I meant.

BTW, I forgot that you only get the Leoric quest half of the time in SP anyway.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
The rules in Ironman simply state that you are allowed ONE interaction with the townsfolk at the game start and that is all.

There is nothing forbidding you from getting such items as the Undead Crown, Arkaine's Valor, the Butcher's Cleaver, the Optic Amulet, or the Veil of Steel since these all lie within the dungeon proper and can be obtained without ANY interaction with townspeople. Since you HAVE to complete these areas of the dungeon in order to fulfill (other) Ironman rules, might as well take the drops too while you are at it.

Realize that not every one of these quests shows up every game, and you may also run out of ID scrolls long before some of these items show up (no using Cain for identification purposes).

What IS _forbidden_ is to seek out the townspeople to either get a quest or get a reward for completing a quest. Thus, no Ring of Truth, no Empyrean Band, no Harlequin Crest, and no Griswold's Edge are allowed.

The Undead Crown is pretty much a solo IM warrior item. The Veil of Steel drops when the game has only two levels to go. The Butcher's Cleaver is near useless (even a Barbarian will find better quickly), the Optic Ammy is eh-fair glasses if you need it, and only Arkaine's Valor really skews things a bit.

(Also be aware that in Single Player you MUST talk to Cain after getting the staff of Lazarus so that the Red Portal to his Lair gets activated and you can continue with the game. This is an acceptible exception to the "no further interaction" rule for Single Player.)

You can save the game any time a level is completely cleared (chests, barrels, foes, everything) and prior to entering the next level. In Single Player you need not sit and finish it all in one setting (that would be Exclusive Tournament rules). Like Lemming said, you cannot save, then scout, then reload. Nor can a save be used to erase/undo a death. You die, game over.

No true Ironman considers self-res acceptible in Single Player. The logic to support that argument simply doesn't exist. There ARE NO res scrolls in Single Player. You die, you're dead. Period.

Hope that helped some.

Attika
Alright, cool, thanks for the info guys :)
Less QQ more Pew Pew