Spearazon for Single Player
Hi

I have a friend in our Armed Forces (posted to the Persian Gulf) who is not an experienced D2 player. He has no access to forums or any form of gaming website. He can, however, play D2 (v1.10 installed) in Single Player mode on the ship, and he can receive emails.

He wants to make a Spearazon. Please give your recommendations as to Skill and Attribute selections for a completely untwinked character that would like to manage Hell mode. I have never played a Spearazon, and have no clue what to advise. I will gather your suggestions and cut'n'paste them into an email to him.

Comments on what affixes are most useful in items he may find would be welcome, but a list of uber gear is not going to be of any assistance whatsoever.

Thanks in advance,
Shadow
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I think Lightning Strike is an obvious max out, dealing handy damage to lots of creatures, and taking care of physical immunes.

He should probably have some points in Fend as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention, since most spears are on the slow side of things, anything that gives increased attack speed is always welcome.
Quote:He wants to make a Spearazon. Please give your recommendations as to Skill and Attribute selections for a completely untwinked character that would like to manage Hell mode.

Ah. Unfortunately, I'm, not sure if there is a build for an untwinked spearazon to manage Hell. Spearazons can be effective in normal/nightmare, but unless they have fairly good gear, they usually hit a brick wall in hell. A careful player can take them through, but it is rough.

As for advice though:
Solid investment in passives(maybe 5+ points in dodge/avoid/evade)

High investment in Valk(at least lvl 17 with skill adders for good base equipment on Valk)
Also learn to use decoy. Takes a little talent, but can be very useful.

Main killing skills will be Fend for small groups, and Jab for individuals. Back off and regroup for any packs larger than 3-4 monsters in hell(beyond act3 hell anyway).

Need to find AR solution. Either high innersight, good luck with drops(angelic ring or similiar), or lots of penetrate.

Holy freeze merc preferable.

Find/buy a high elemental Javelin to jab phys immune to death.

The folks at the AB spearazon room have more experience than me though, and you may have better luck asking there.

Now, if he will play a javazon, it's a whole nother ball park. As well as a much more viable one.
Hi

Does he want to make a pure spearazon? ( I still have bitter memories from v 1.00) or does he just want to stick to the J/S skill-tree? I would recommend Charged strike and Plague Javelin, put a few points in critical strke and/or get ATMA.

good karma

This is for SC?
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Like other people have noted, large investment into the passive tree is a must. On top of that general single player tips apply: Save all gems and cube them for perfects. After you get to Flayer Jungle/NM save grand charms and use the Pgems to cube up some +passive charms. End goal of about 5 is a good idea.

With a plan to have at least +5 into passives you can work your passive skills around that. (I understand that getting these items will be hard and time consuming but hey, we need a goal to aim for.) A decent skill set up to aim for would be something like this:

15 Crit Strike
5 Dodge
2 Avoid
5 Evade
5 Penetrate
12 Valk

(the +5 to passives will bring you up to speed with your passives, giving you 50 to d/a/e and a strong valk)

15 Jab
20 Fend

(with an untwinked build it is much more beneficial to aim for a physical damage based build. The elemental skills for spears are very synergy based and thus much more reliant to +skills than the passive tree. As stated above, a good way to take care of PI would be to get a good elemental damage javalin and use jab.)

I'm undecided as to what merc to reccomend. personally i think a Might or Blessed Aim merc may be your best choice. Freeze aura would work well too. But i'm not sure if it would really be necessary.

Things to look for on items:

ML and LL. (you won't need much with a physical build based on jab and fend)
Anything that adds to AR. (a fools prefix would be the best thing. always check the shops)

Also item choices that work in hardcore would work well in single player. Both game types can't rely heavily on twinking. 4 socket armor with Prubys adds great heath.

An eth socketed into your weapon will give you -25 enemy defense. taking some slack off your AR needs.

If i think of more i'll add later.