Susan Boyle singing. You might have heard of it.

It's in newspapers, TV, and of course Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

It still brings me chills and make my manly eyes irritated with salty discharge, must be dusty in here or something.

Quote:It's in newspapers, TV, and of course Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

It still brings me chills and make my manly eyes irritated with salty discharge, must be dusty in here or something.

I saw about of this on CNN and watching the expressions change on the audience members faces (as well as the judges) was fantastic. I've not actually watched the link you presented, so it might show even more. But yeah, it was good.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I personally find it redonkulous. The fact that the prejudice is so clear and that people are considering it news that, HOLY #$%&! SOMEONE WHO ISN'T BEAUTIFUL CAN HAVE TALENT!! is completely assinine. Gorgeous voice, no doubt about it. But that's not why she's getting recognition and that's just plain sad.

~Frag:(
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote: HOLY #$%&! SOMEONE WHO ISN'T BEAUTIFUL CAN HAVE TALENT!!
Naw, it wasn't beauty, it was amazing that a Scottish person could do something, anything, well.

It's been 500 years.

Jeez, bone up on Anglocentric prejudices already.

Quote:I personally find it redonkulous. The fact that the prejudice is so clear and that people are considering it news that, HOLY #$%&! SOMEONE WHO ISN'T BEAUTIFUL CAN HAVE TALENT!! is completely assinine. Gorgeous voice, no doubt about it. But that's not why she's getting recognition and that's just plain sad.
What is sad to me is that someone so talented has been hidden under a rock for some 35 years. I think when that female judge said they were cynical, that was close to the mark, and yes, a little prejudiced too. So many (even pretty) people try out who think they've got talent, and it was a stretch of the imagination to believe this talent could have remained hidden for so long.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I saw that. And having been a professional singer myself, I'm rather critical of vocalists. I will say that I don't think she's had any formal training, and with the right training, she could be spectacular.

I also know for a fact that the entertainment world is based largely on appearance, not talent. With pitch correctors etc. producers are more concerned with your looks and moves and sex appeal rather than your voice. It's like air-brushing for singers.

So I was very happy to see her get some good publicity with this. Same thing with Paul Potts, who won that show in 2007. Just a normal sort of shy awkward guy with crooked teeth and a paunch on him and he's been able to find a way to let his talent shine through and actually be rewarded for it. I hope the same happens to Susan. Her voice is too good to be pushed aside just because the face doesn't match the voice.
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
We'll probably hear more from her, as Record companies are already offering contracts.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Quote:I saw that. And having been a professional singer myself, I'm rather critical of vocalists. I will say that I don't think she's had any formal training, and with the right training, she could be spectacular.

I also know for a fact that the entertainment world is based largely on appearance, not talent. With pitch correctors etc. producers are more concerned with your looks and moves and sex appeal rather than your voice. It's like air-brushing for singers.

So I was very happy to see her get some good publicity with this. Same thing with Paul Potts, who won that show in 2007. Just a normal sort of shy awkward guy with crooked teeth and a paunch on him and he's been able to find a way to let his talent shine through and actually be rewarded for it. I hope the same happens to Susan. Her voice is too good to be pushed aside just because the face doesn't match the voice.

Reminds me a little of whatever year that was that Miley Cyrus (or however you spell her name) was on American Idol on one of the "this is who we're eliminating" shows where they always have guest singers filling the 50 minutes where they aren't telling whoever lost that they're going home. She was singing and in my head a little voice said "you know, she's definitely not as good as ANY of the contestants." As with any industry talent is only a component that goes into how successful one is. It's important to a point, but there are a lot of other factors.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
It's a shame and bit hard to believe she wasn't able to find a home in the musical theater 20-odd years ago. That seems to be her passion, and she has plenty of stage presence and the voice for it. I don't see her having a very long career as a recording artist if she doesn't get into a show. Novelty aside, people who listen to musical soundtracks have a lot of great voices to choose from and might prefer to hear the original casts over a compilation album from a TV talent show contestant.

But in any case, it's great to see someone make the most of a rare opportunity like that. I get no pleasure in watching the people who think they have talent but actually can't hold a pitch getting rejected by Simon and friends on Idol.
Perhaps you guys already forgot this guy from the same show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelJrP3P7tA

Quote:Perhaps you guys already forgot this guy from the same show.

please see earlier in the thread. He was brought up.

Quote:Same thing with Paul Potts, who won that show in 2007. Just a normal sort of shy awkward guy with crooked teeth and a paunch on him and he's been able to find a way to let his talent shine through and actually be rewarded for it. I hope the same happens to Susan. Her voice is too good to be pushed aside just because the face doesn't match the voice.

Yes he got the same type of reaction, though not as severe because the double standard for men isn't quite as bad as it is for women.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:please see earlier in the thread. He was brought up.
Yes he got the same type of reaction, though not as severe because the double standard for men isn't quite as bad as it is for women.

You're right, I just glanced the thread over and did not notice that. My fault.

Quote:Yes he got the same type of reaction, though not as severe because the double standard for men isn't quite as bad as it is for women.

As to your supposition, I do not think it is necessarily that. IMO, it's because while Paul is a pretty ugly guy, he is not abnormal looking, while Susan is.... so it is an even bigger surprise. BTW, if you put Pavarotti in an average joe clothing, he'd be a perfect match for either one of them. Opera singers are not known for great looks, with few exceptions. The best ones are at least somewhat overweight, as you can't be skinny and have a voice strong enough to be able to perform like this for an hour or two at a time.... again, with few exceptions.

The problem is that these days, most people are too damn visual and most of modern so-called music requires no musical talent whatsoever, so people only look at how the performers look and not how they sing. Sure, something like rap is listened to, but since rap is not music, that is irrelevant. Pop is mostly enhanced voices and simple tunes. If you don't look good while on stage or in a video, there's nothing left.

For pieces that Paul and Susan were performing, looks are irrelevant. People just forgot that music like that exists, at least the masses have.
Quote:Perhaps you guys already forgot this guy from the same show.

This guy rules.
Quote:What is sad to me is that someone so talented has been hidden under a rock for some 35 years.
I think this is why most people were so cynical. This "cheeky" lady who is clearly nervous as hell walks onto the show saying she wants to be a star. How many of those has this show had on and they did actually fall flat? Good for her though. Now I have to go pick some of that dust out of my eye.:blush:
Why is my gut telling me that angelikzusa is an alias for "In the future I will be banned"?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Why is my gut telling me that angelikzusa is an alias for "In the future I will be banned"?

What future?
Quote:What future?
... and his name will be erased from all obelisks and temples.