Want to dig a hole?
http://www.cp-tel.net/pasqualy/hole/page1.html

Quite fascinating really. The website tells the story of a young man and his big, fat pregnant wife (and Belle the dog) who digs a giant hole in his back yard and makes a sort of bunker out of it.

A funny read, but might be familiar to some of you.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
What does that pattern of numbers signify in your signature? I can't figure it out =/
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
:(
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote: What does that pattern of numbers signify in your signature?

My negative resists in hell mode. :lol:
Sorry, folks
This is a bit embarrassing, but it seems the site may be down temporarily due to its popularity, which is understandable. I guess we'll just have to check the site regularly, to see if it's back up

Off topic: My signature.
Dance of eternity is a song by Dream Theater and is the song with the most odd time signatures I've heard. The numbers in my signature represents how many 8th-notes there are in each bar and in each section (each section being marked by a "/"). This is not the whole song though, just the last couple of minutes where they go completely nuts with odd time signatures.

example: the first 3 numbers are 557, meaning the first three bars are 5/8, 5/8 and 7/8.

The signature starts 4.22 into the song (after the treble)and lasts the rest of the song. Try conducting that, Leonard Bernstein :P

edit: the hole-link is working now; at least for me.
Boy wants hole, boy digs hole. Boy covers hole, hole gets wet. Boy moves.

Summary, just in case the link goes down again.
In many soil types the sides would just collapse. He really needed to put in footings around the perimeter, and then at least a 6" rebar concrete wall. I would have tied in steel I beams in a couple points across the diagonal to provide lateral support for the walls to keep them from moving. Then, walls in place, you apply a water barrier to the outside to minimize moisture from seeping in. It is unlikely to prevent all water from seeping in, so for that construct it would have been best to design a sump pump in from the start.

But... nice cistern. He should set it up as part of his irrigation system.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

:blink: :blink: :blink:

and I thought Primus did funky stuff...
They have an insanely good drummer imho, drums being the only instrument I can play decently, so probably the rest of the band are great too (guitar sounds kewl) and I just don't notice it :)

I don't like the music though, so please change your sig :P (just kidding, obiously).

Name of drummer: Mike Portnoy -> rocks!

alas, Dennis Chambers is still my number one drum hero.

Thanks for the link to the song [wcip]Angel!

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Veering off topic:
When I first started listening to DT I couldn't stand The dance of eternity. It was the last song on the album I really got into, and still it's one of my least favourite songs on my most beloved album "Metropolis part II: Scenes from a memory". Still, it's kind of neat to listen to every once in a while. I mean, the song is so chaotic, there's just no way in hell I can conduct or play the damn thing (I'm a drummer too), it's just so impressive they manage to play this live.

One of my favourite songs would have to be The Spirit carries on. It's a kind of soft ballad-type thing which segues into some sort of semi-gospel-triumphant-rock-sort of deal. It's really quite powerful towards the end after the guitar solo (which is amazing as always. The guitarist, John Petrucci, is almost as insane as the drummer.)

The first DT-song I ever heard was Overture 1928. It's an amalgamation of all the themes on the Metropolis-album. It's a short summary of all the songs on the album. Very stylish.

Space dye vest is a sad, melancholic tune. It starts out simple with the piano but becomes quite powerful and "large". The guitar has a very "fat" sound, especially towards the end. (Just before the "I will never be open again"-section). I think the song might be a about unrequited love. It may not be, but this song is special to me, for obvious reasons.

This is the mighty Metropolis. This is the song from 1995 which inspired the album "Metropolis Part II - Scenes from a memory". If you listen to both; the song and the album, you'll hear many, *many* similarities in every aspect of the music; the drum fills and rhtyms, the lyrics, the structure of the songs, everything from the album mirrors the original song in some way. It's really quite astounding.

And none of them deal with the issue of hole-digging. :)
Thanks for sharing!

Metropolis is pretty cool, but I don't like the "Flipper Hall" guitar effects shortly into the second half of the song (or anytime else, for that matter).
The one thing I like least about Dream Theater (remember, I'm now a DT expert <_< ) would have to be the singer. He sounds...well...boring. No offense, of course.
Quote:I think the song might be a about unrequited love. It may not be, but this song is special to me, for obvious reasons.
-> Marilyn Manson: The Speed of Pain
...lost love ::sigh::

my most beloved album would be Marilyn Manson's "Antichrist Superstar", though it's closely followed by about a dozen other "almost most beloved albums" :) . But the sheer power of Manson, muahahahaha...

For some reason I despise most of what is called "Pop" music but like almost every other style, including, but not limited to: Jazz, Rap/Hip-Hop, (Hard or not) Rock, Funk, Metal (like there is only one kind :ph34r: ), etc.

"The Essence - Part One" by Ahmad Jamal sits happily next to "Ill Communication" by the Beasty Boys and ZZ Top's "Rythmeen". Man, I iz wierd :blink: :lol:

A nice link I like to drool over now and then:
drums I can't afford

Greetings
Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
kandrathe,May 15 2004, 08:46 AM Wrote:In many soil types the sides would just collapse.&nbsp; He really needed to put in footings around the perimeter, and then at least a 6" rebar concrete wall.&nbsp; I would have tied in steel I beams in a couple points across the diagonal to provide lateral support for the walls to keep them from moving.&nbsp; Then, walls in place, you apply a water barrier to&nbsp; the outside to minimize moisture from seeping in.&nbsp; It is unlikely to prevent all water from seeping in, so for that construct it would have been best to design a sump pump in from the start.

But... nice cistern.&nbsp; He should set it up as part of his irrigation system.
He's not building a bomb shelter dude. It's just a hole :)

Seriously, 6" reinforced concrete walls with footings and horizontal steel beams would be overkill for this project. Even if you look at the last page, after it was almost completely filled with water from a rising water table, the sides still didn't collapse. For any really deep (and particularly narrow) hole, I'd agree that some side reinforcment would be prudent, but this hole doesn't look nearly deep enough to warrant it. And even then, reinforced concrete would still be overkill.

It's also kind of hard to judge from the pictures, but the soil looks to be perfectly suited to hole-digging. It looks like it contains lots of clay.

It's a nice hole, but I'm more impressed by the fact that he killed and ate a Copperhead!

If you'll excuse me now, I have a hole to dig.
I was with the hole thing, right up until he put a roof on it. After that it became a bunker. I figure if you are going to build a bunker, then it should be a proper bunker.

"And even then, reinforced concrete would still be overkill." I guess you might get by with cinder block, but then that's starting to feel more like a basement.

"It's a nice hole, but I'm more impressed by the fact that he killed and ate a Copperhead!" That's the point when I thought, "That guy is nuts! Copperheads are too gamey" Building a bunker, routing power and an internet connection to it seems perfectly sane on the other hand. :)

If you'll excuse me now, I'm off to hunt fer sum edible critters.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

NuurAbSaal,May 16 2004, 12:22 AM Wrote:The one thing I like least about Dream Theater (remember, I'm now a DT expert <_< ) would have to be the singer.&nbsp; He sounds...well...boring. No offense, of course.
Believe me when I say 'none taken' :)

James LaBrie (the vocalist) is the number one reason why people dislike Dream Theater. They say it's his nasal Canadian voice coupled with the fact that he sings way, way up there in the register that turn them off.

When I first started listening to DT, I didn't pay much attention to the singer. I noticed he was very talented (being able to go really high) but didn't think anything of it. Having been a fan for a few years now (1-2), I find it very difficult to get into any other band "because the singer isn't James LaBrie." I know it's ironic, considering he's the reason most people don't like DT. I did manage to get into 1 band though, as they're in the same genre as - and directly influenced by - Dream Theater. They're a swedish Progressive Rock-band called Pain of Salvation. I only have one of their albums - Remedy Lane -, but it's easily as good as most of DT's stuff. I know the title of the band might be a little off-putting, but there's really nothing to that name in their music.

---
I really ought to get back on-topic, seeing as I started this thread.

What do you suppose snakes taste like? And wouldn't it be dangerous for this man just to kill some random animal and eating it? What if it was ill or diseased or carried some sort of virus? Call me a pessimist, but I'd rather not eat meat that hasn't been passed by some sort of health inspection. On the other hand, I've eaten fish I've caught myself, so I don't know...
[ Wrote:Angel,May 16 2004, 03:20 AM]What do you suppose snakes taste like?
Chicken. Exactly like chicken.

Actually, I don't know. But if it's anything like alligator I'd be willing to bet it's pretty good.

[ Wrote:Angel,May 16 2004, 03:20 AM]And wouldn't it be dangerous for this man just to kill some random animal and eating it? What if it was ill or diseased or carried some sort of virus? Call me a pessimist, but I'd rather not eat meat that hasn't been passed by some sort of health inspection. On the other hand, I've eaten fish I've caught myself, so I don't know...

Like you said, it's no more dangerous than eating fish you caught. People have been eating animals for a bazillion years, well before food safety inspectors have been around. It's quite possible that the snake had some sort of disease, but the chances of it making you sick after thoroughly cooking it are next to zero.

I'm sure that if the snake had giant goiters or massive green blotches the fellow wouldn't eaten it :)
I have dug more holes and built more bunkers in the last 15 years of Army life then I care to remember. There is an art and science to making a good one.

There is nothing really novel about this to me, eccept that he put it on line. I think he missed his calling.

-Orrbitron
Sic Gorgeamus Alos Subjectatos Nuc

"Gladly Will We Feast On Those Who Would Conquer Us"

Just Another Visitin' Basiner