Life stealing weapons
I started an amazon a little ago and was wondering how much/where to get life stealing from. I don't like using healing potions. This amazon will be using multishot, plague javalin, valkyrie, and maybe lightning fury. I don't have any rare/unique bows with life stealing but was wondering whether life stealing, high damage items drop a lot or whether I'd need to socket or craft something for good damage and life stealing.

Yes, I'm new here but have been reading stuff from here and the amazon basin for a few months and usually found what I was looking for.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
where: Arreat Summit - Blood Crafts
Also, several unique/set items have leech in the mix and some very good ones are rather lowish level; Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest (Death Mask 10% dual leech), Eye of Etlich (3-7% life leech), Hand of Broc (3% dual leech), two piece Sigon's (recomend gloves [30% IAS] and another piece), Wilhelm's Pride (Battle belt from Orphan's Call set, 5% dual leech).

how much: depends on your meat shields (Merc and Valk) up front. The stronger the meat shield, the less often you will get hit, the less leech you need to be viable in the game. Generally speaking though, there is no such thing as too much.
[Image: ThiefLogo.jpg]

"What cannot kill you, isn't worth fighting." - Anon.
Chameleon, The Lost Thief *Fades away into the darkness*
Cathan's ring is an easy 6% life steal and people practically give them away.
I probably should have said this is single player, but those are good ideas anyway. Also wondering, do life stealing rings, amulets, gloves drop a lot? How about stuff before act 5 normal? Otherwise that was good advice.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Also wondering, do life stealing rings, amulets, gloves drop a lot? How about stuff before act 5 normal? Otherwise that was good advice.

Life and mana steal happen regularly but definately not a guarentee, maybe 1/4 rare rings (from memory not emperically supported) to get 1 form of leech on a rare ring, 1/10 an amulet. On gloves, it is far less frequent than either of the above but more common to get dual leech when you do.

As stated, Cathan's is very findable and is you best bet for a ring, since there are only two set rings, Cathan's and Angelic, and both are available in Act 1 normal.

Crafting is still your best bet, for gloves and amulet, as NEF and AMN runes aren't hard to get (SOL is a harder until you reach Nightmare), with a little help from your cube.
[Image: ThiefLogo.jpg]

"What cannot kill you, isn't worth fighting." - Anon.
Chameleon, The Lost Thief *Fades away into the darkness*
You're probably going to be using healing potions for a while. Like always and forever.

But, really, it's not hard to find a good bit of life leech in single player. I've got a single player paladin with something like 12 percent, and up to 20, with switchout equipment.

Your best bet early game, from my experience, is to gamble some leather gloves. They're cheap, and by the time you get high enough level to gamble leech stuff (I vaguely remember level 29 being mentioned in that sense), you can get 3 percent right there. Not much, but it helps.

After all that, there are runes you can find, of course, and you'll eventually start finding rings. My paladin ended up with three 6 percent life leech rings, and a couple four percent. But, he's also in the beginning of Hell Difficulty. Y'might not want to wait that long, eh?

And, if you get lucky and can find 'em, there are plenty of uniques and set items that offer a bit of life steal. The first off the top of my head is, once again, a pair of leather gloves: The Hands of Broc. They used to be extremely easy to get back in the day, before the chance to gamble uniques was lowered/abolished (I forget which). The Hands of Broc have 3 percent life and mana leech. Also, the Greyform Quilted Armor has 5 percent life leech. Both low level items that you can find if you get lucky.
O.K., guess I'll just look around then. Level 30 was the important level because than I get valkyrie. I've probably seen a lot of life stealing items drop but never noticed while looking for resists.

If you really need the +LL and you are not averse to the idea of doing runs I would recommend doing a couple Andy runs. she has a fairly high chance to drop rings. you can usually get a cathan's after a couple runs.