Hardcore Frost Novaress
As you may have seen, in my reports about Elemenara, I'm now seriously considering doing a Hardcore Frost Novaress if she can beat Diablo without suffering any deaths (since I've always considered Duriel and Diablo to be the toughest hurdles in the game),
Given that I'm still quite new to Hardcore (my highest acheivement being surviving to Act III so far) I thought I'd ask people's opinions. I probably won't be going for a tri-elemental build this time, so any opinions on skills/combos will be welcome (equipment advice too, although I'll certainly be going with the advice I received while playing Elemenara) Any help/suggestions much appreciated.
While catching up on Elemenara and noting your comment that you might consider doing an Enchantress at some point, I realized that I've never read/heard of an Enchantress with a high level Frost Nova-- and I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be an effective combination.

I shamelessly abandoned Zyryalana (and all my other SC characters) for HC Ladder play in mid-March (shortly after my last post in Elemenara's thread). Since then, I've lost two Assassins and an Enchantress, but their rebuilds are doing well. Most of my attention has been focused upon WeakWanda, a base-Strength Shadow/Blade Fury Assassin who wields only wands. From playing her, I've learned some equipment lessons which may be old news to most, but I'll share them anyway:

A Bone Shield of Deflecting, frequently offered by both Drognan and Ormus in Normal, gives either an Assassin or a Sorceress max block with reasonable Dex levels, and can be equipped at level 14.

A Rhyme Bone, Grim, or Troll Nest Shield (depending on Str) may be the most effective shield a Sorc can equip.

In HC, the more Life, the better. Magic armor with the +Life suffixes (I want to make that suffices. There, I feel better.) is available in all types, can be shopped from all vendors, and will protect your character's tender pixels far better than the Unique or Set armor you haven't found yet. A Jeweler's (Add 4 Sockets) (type to suit character's Str) Armor of the Whale (+81-100 to Life) could be better end-game protection than many of the name-brand items. (I learned about this, and much more, from Maldar.)

Whoever first said that "diamonds are a girl's best friend" didn't know about Blood Crafted items. In HC, Rubies are a girl's best friend! Even the worst Blood Craft gives +10 Life.

Finally, even though most of my HC play has been solo, I'll readily admit that HC is best done in parties. In Elemenara's thread, you said of multiplayer,

Rohar Wrote:Been a bit deterred by the lag and also, don't like the thought of venturing out into the unknown and braving the dangers of Player Killers and stuff.
However, I wouldn't mind starting to venture out on Battle.net, especially in the company of a party of trusted friends (would any of you guys care to team up with me?)

Do check out The Amazon Basin-- it was created specifically to provide exactly that kind of multiplayer environment. :) [Image: icon12.gif]
Zyr

Actually, I prefer a Heater for my Rhyme sorceress needs.
Obi2Kenobi,May 7 2004, 10:55 PM Wrote:Actually, I prefer a Heater for my Rhyme sorceress needs.
Why?
Zyr

42% blocking. It also only has a 77 strength requirement. If I were to make a sorc with other items that require less strength, I would use a Grim Shield. But I haven't, so I don't.
A-HA! I hadn't noticed the blocking bonus on the Heater compared with the Normal and Exceptional versions. Thanks for pointing it out! :)
Zyr

Zyr,May 7 2004, 09:09 AM Wrote:Finally, even though most of my HC play has been solo, I'll readily admit that HC is best done in parties.  In Elemenara's thread, you said of multiplayer,

Rohar Wrote:Been a bit deterred by the lag and also, don't like the thought of venturing out into the unknown and braving the dangers of Player Killers and stuff.
However, I wouldn't mind starting to venture out on Battle.net, especially in the company of a party of trusted friends (would any of you guys care to team up with me?)

Do check out The Amazon Basin-- it was created specifically to provide exactly that kind of multiplayer environment. :) [Image: icon12.gif]
Thanks for that, I checked out the Amazon Basin, and after browsing the forums ... it sounds like my kind of place ! :D

I'm just a little bit trepid though, because I think I might take a while to venture out into multiplay, having been a pretty solidly singleplayer so far .. This mignt be a silly question, but they would welcome me on the forums if I go in as I am, just playing single player offline?

Rohar
Quote:I'm just a little bit trepid though, because I think I might take a while to venture out into multiplay, having been a pretty solidly singleplayer so far .. This mignt be a silly question, but they would welcome me on the forums if I go in as I am, just playing single player offline?

Of course. We [Basiners] have the forums similar to these. To discuss strategy and such.