D & DII Chars relative magical abilities
Probably easier to show then explain what I mean, but here goes. Of the 10 character classes (3 D, 7 DII, +3 if you count Hellfire) how would you rank their magical abilities relative to one another. Please give opinions based solely on magical abilities, melee abilities should play no part. Also disregard the part in the manual about an Assassin not relying on any magical abilities for fear of becoming corrupt. In actual practice many of her skills would be considered magical in nature.

Here's what I came up with.

#1 Sorcerer, he's old, he's been around, he can lay the smack down
#2 Sorceress, she's young, but she's got the inherrent gifts, only loses to Sorcerer due to lack of experiance
#3 ? Nec/Dru
#4 ? Dru/Nec
#5 ? ?
#6 ? ?
#7 ? ?
#8 ? ?
#9 Warrior, he's dumb but he's better than the Barbarian
#10 Barbarian, very low if any actual 'magic' in him

Rogue and Paladin are fairly magically aligned, Assassin has some prowess, Amazon has good width (variety) of skills. Both Asn and Amz can summon, but.....

As for Hellfire characters:
BarbarianHF would be lower than the BarDII, as he has absolutely no inherrent magical abilities.
Monk would be on a par with the Rogue, unsure of which has the advantage.
Bard would be above Rogue but below Nec/Dru

Thoughts?
It would seem you have a severe misinterpretation of what is magical. The way I see it there are some Dungeon and Dragons definitions that you need to be made aware of:

Innate Abilities: The natural ability of a creature that mimics a magical ability.
Melee Combat: Hand to hand skirmish.
Missile Combat: Combat involving missiles such as bows, slings, spears, etc.
Magic: A manifestation of mana into a form desired by the caster.
Divine: Power from the ‘gods’
Elements: Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, (some say it includes temperature thus cold, hot, etc.). Elements would be more like pouring a vial of oil on your victim and lighting him on fire, as that would not fit into any of the above categories.

Obviously a barbarians war cries, ability to leap hundreds of feet into the air, whirlwind'ing around faster than the eye can see, and causing magical damage his bare fist are ‘Innate abilities’. A sorceress in DII only uses elemental attacks, making her a limited magic user that can only control the elements. Now the D1 sorcerer was a true magic user. A paladin's auras are ‘divine’, but really, in Diablo II, don’t all skills use Mana (except for the paladins auras and passive skills)? And wouldn’t that mean they used a bit of magic in the process, thus making them all magical by nature?

So really, they way I see it, you either compare ALL the skills as being magical in Diablo II, or you separate the skills into logical groupings and then your not left with many magic users in the bunch so there’s not much to compare.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I would go:
Sorceror
Sorceress
Necromancer
Bard
Druid
Monk (needs a ranged attack since he melees :) )
Rogue
Warrior
Barbarian(II)
Barbarian(HF)
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Hi there,

Under the circumstances that magical is simply: doing elemental or magic damage;
And that melee is simply: doing physical damage;
I would rank them as such:

1.Sorceror (he can have high lvl chainl. and fireball and of course apocalypse)
2.Sorceress (her fireball also kicks ass when synergized in 1.10, very versatile)
3.Necromancer (there's some discussion about a godly poison nova necro going on)
4.Paladin (blessed hammer and his elemental auras)
5.Druid (summons and - well - elemental attacks)
6.Rogue (quite nice as a mini mage)
7.Assassin (traps and charge up moves - both magical)
8.Amazon (not too much here - freezing and immolation)
9.Warrior (he IS able to do a bit of magic - at least)
10.Barbarian(II) (Really not much there besides amok)

Hellfire was not taken into consideration.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
How would you rank those in terms of actual magic use? No doubt you have more experience with D&D than I do, but....

1. Elements: Sorceress
Druid
2. Magic: Necromancer
Druid
3. Divine Paladin
4. Missile Amazon
5. Melee Assassin
6. Innate Barbarian

Leaving us with char rankings of:

1. Sorceress
2. Necromancer
3. Druid (his Elemental + Magic does not equal Necro Magic alone)
4. Paladin
5. Amazon
6. Assassin
7. Barbarian (as if you doubted)
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Diablo characters would beat all.

#1 Sorcerer
#2 Rogue
#3 Warrior
--------------
#4 Necromancer (all this wimp has is magic)
#5 Druid (he summons, he shapeshifts, AND he's an elementalist)
#6 Sorceress
#7 Amazon (she can do some pretty amazing things with arrows/javs as well as summon)
#8 Assassin
#9 Paladin (some magical enhancement to some attacks)
#10 Barbarian

Original diablo characters beat everyone since they all have access to the same spells and have the potential to gain all spells to nearly level 15 (the max). Especially with +magic gear, any of the three can have very good magical abilities. Fireball and chain lightning decimate anything not immune to them. Stone curse can literally freeze ANY monster in the game save Diablo himself for several seconds AND grants auto-hit with melee attacks. Teleport. Not only does firewall have the potential to deal the greatest amount of damage out of any other spell, but it has some favorable affects on monster AI for non-fire immunes.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
D&D Has nothing to do with it. This is Diablo. Diablo is not D&D.

In the world of Sanctuary if you can create a 20 foot long wall of flame using nothing but sheer brainpower, that would be magic. If you can go from a 6'0" tall mountain man to a 7'4" grizzly bear that can attack with flame powered claws, that would be magic. If you can call down a massive bolt of lightning that in turn launches a dozen holy projectiles, that would be magic.

If you swing your sword really fast, that is not magic. If you can jump, that is not magic.

If you can launch 6 projectiles from your bow in rapid succession, that is not magic.
If you can launch 6 projectiles from your bow simultaneously, that is probably magic.

If you can swear at your enemy and make them angry with you, that is not magic.
If you can swear at your enemy and he goes blind, that is magic.

If you can run really fast for short periods of time, that is not magic.
If you can make others run really fast for long periods of time, that is magic.

Does this help Y/N?

Also, even though the Warrior and Sorcerer can both learn the same spells to the same level, you'll notice that one of them can cast more spells, that have improved effects, more rapidly than the other.

Note: The fact that most skills use mana is of lesser importance, as it is partially just a convienient game mechanic. Blizz sort of fixed this with the "Rage Bar" for warrior types in World of Warcraft.
Diablo characters would beat all.

#1 Sorcerer
#2 Rogue
#3 Warrior

I was wondering how long it would take before someone reached this conclusion :) Granted, the warrior's magical abilities are very dependent upon items. But a well equipped "turtle mage" has far more magical power relative to the enemies available than any D2 class. One could almost say that the three classes in Diablo were wizard, sorceress, and battle mage.
Never played D1, out of D2 I'd say

1. Sorceress
2. Necromancer
3. Druid
4. Assasin
5. Amazon
6. Paladin
7. Barbarian

Sorceresses make stuff out of thin air. Necromancers and Druids are about the same but I figure Death energies would be harder to use than nature energies, and skeletons and golems take more magic to keep them alive than animals, which already exist. Assasins beat amazons because while traps, bow skills, javalin skills, and martial arts all use some magic and some regular, Shadow disciplines use mind power and are magic whle amazon skills are almost all agility skills. Some paladin combat skills use magic, but auras aree probably part magic, part "leadership abilities". Barbarian skills could come from strength and skill, with berserk and warcry being magic or just really strong attacks (berserk) or yelling very loud at the right pitch (warcry).
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Sorcerer - can totaly wreck anything that isn't triple immune, hell, he can beat the came covered in cursed items with his magic.

Necromancer - he can have a whole army going with his magic and posion necs
are can do a ton of damage.

Sorceress - good magic but can't run through monsters like the Sorcerer can.

Druid - elemental magic

Rouge - she can cast pretty well

Warrior- telekilling pretty awesome

Paladin- foh, hammer

Assasin- cool elemental effects, she can sort of telekill I guess, just not as cool when the monsters can get away after you hit them.

Zon - magic arrows...

Barb- nope
Grarrrg,Apr 30 2004, 11:40 AM Wrote:#9 Warrior, he's dumb but he's better than the Barbarian

That is a fascinating description.

Grarrrg,Apr 30 2004, 11:40 AM Wrote:As for Hellfire characters:
BarbarianHF would be lower than the BarDII, as he has absolutely no inherrent magical abilities.

Ah, but what about his berserk skill? Now that probably borders on magic verses skill or whatever that you were typing about in your other post. (Magic verses not magic.)

By the way, I saw you scurry across that forum.

Edit: I do apologize for my error. You appeared to skurry, not scurry.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
>>As for Hellfire characters:
>>BarbarianHF would be lower than the BarDII, as he has absolutely no inherrent magical abilities.

>Ah, but what about his berserk skill? Now that probably borders on magic verses skill or whatever that you >were babbling about in your other post. (Magic verses not magic.)

Well, it may be magic (HUGE boost) it may not be magic, as there is the "Lethargic" phase afterwards (i.e. he pulled something while being strong). Course, BarbarianII also has Berserk, which is his only "definate" magic skill (couple others are maybies).
So BarHF has One 'maybe' magic skill, and BarII has one 'definate' magic skill.

Also, BarHF has a max magic of 0, whereas BarII can actually raise his Energy if his is so inclined. So either way BII is 'more magical' than BHF

"By the way, I saw you scurry across that forum."

Me? Scurry? Forum? The? Why whatever are you talking about?
Hah, scurry, pffffft.
Quote: So either way BII is 'more magical' than BHF

It certainly seems that way, but I was just opposing the point that "he has absolutely no inherrent magical abilities."

Also, although he does seem to go berserk, it would have been better if I labeled it rage.

Quote:Me? Scurry? Forum? The? Why whatever are you talking about?
Hah, scurry, pffffft.

Here is proof: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?for...geid=1069367187
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube