Random Question
Has anyone ever figured out what the Chat Gem does? Or doesn't do?

My theory is that it was created to distract you from the real meaning of Battle.Net: for everything you type, including but not limited to backspaces, shift and arrow keys, Blizzard deducts 1/1000 of a penny from whatever you leave behind when you die. :ph34r:

I'm actually more interested in your opinions/theories, but thought that my beginning post would look rather sorry if it contained one line of text.

Curled on the floor in a fetal position and anxiously awaiting your answers, I hope I don't come across as remotely normal. B)
A plague of exploding high-fives.
When you click it, it changes colour and print a line of purple text to the screen. Nothing more and nothing less. I find it very useful for marking my spot in the chat when I go AFK.
adeyke,Apr 29 2004, 10:00 PM Wrote:Nothing more and nothing less.
Come now, you know better than that. ;)
Personally, I think blizzard's official stance sums it up perfectly:

The chat gem is working exactly as expected, and doing quite a marvelous job.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
1) As Adeyke said, marking spot when going AFK.

2) Say you're grandma is visiting. Sweet old grandma. Say you're in the channel. And, for the sake of an example, assume that some idiot is spamming rude messages. Which would you rather have her see, Chat Gem Activated, or <insert string of profanities here>?

3) The gem is Blizzard's grand psychiological experiment. The purpose is: to make people wonder/ask what the purpose is.

4) (My original conspiricy theory, updated...) Anyway, time for how it really will go down! First off, Diablo XP Pro isn't the World Event. DXPP is just a ruse to fool the ignorant, weak-minded fools that so sadly populate most of Sanctuary these days. The real World Event is actually triggered by the *Chat Gem* (using a dead Hardcore necromancer at level 42 who was slain by a quill rat in normal in a 3 player game). Then, that Big Bad Small Charm O' Power (Annihilus) will morph all characters holding it into Goatmen. They will have a new number pad dialog, including "Ple-e-e-e-ase, no hurt, no ki-i-ill," to replace "help" and "This too good for you" in the place of "Time to die". Then, the Real World Event will be made (1 cracked sash+black tower key+Constricting Ring [which will be gotten off of Lysander, after killing him]). It sends you into the Secret Chicken Level (which is more of an act than a level, with 3 quests) with the boss of: Reziarfg! When he dies, he drops, among other things (not that it matters, because he only spawns in HC ladder (if it isn't HC ladder, some other character replaces him, and isn't as strong [Azmodan for SC ladder, Belial for HC non-ladder, and Lachdanan <you didn't think he actually was redeemed, did you?> for SC non-ladder]), and he is nigh invincible, and has many special attacks, including, but not limited to, Polymorph and Apocolypse) the Mirror Shield, a unique Tower Shield that has awesome stats, namely the ability to occasionally reflect ranged attacks outward from the defender, and doesn't display a graphic in the game (since a mirror doesn't really have a color...), instead your weapon deflects it (lightsabre action!!). This will also unlock the Urban Legend cut-scene, which addresses all myths as being completely true, regards every rumour as total fact, any legend is shown to be wholely valid and finds fabrictions by random people 100% correct.
In Soviet Russia, chat gem clicks you :P
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
You have come too close to the truth, Obi2Kenobi, and will be terminated. Remember, you never existed.

Although you did forget the part where Griswald follows you back through a series of Town Portals, then out the Cow Level portal with an army of undead cows ("Spoiled Burger - Minion") and corrupts all the NPCs. There won't be any remaining safe places, save the Arreat Summit, since when the Perfect Gem is activated, the Ancients become your allies and help you beat back the invasion, all the way to Act 1. The player limit for games will no longer exist, but even with all the lag, this is a good thing, as it will take a coordinated effort to finaly kill Griswald, the Lord of Meat. Once he dies, one unfortunate player has to pick up his Soul Stone and visit one of the Pits in Act 5. The rest of the players will seal it off, and when the player equips the Stone, he sees a brief cinematic similar to the one at the end of Diablo 1 and is then banned from Battle.Net for all of eternity.
A plague of exploding high-fives.
Quote:banned from Battle.Net for all of eternity.

Or is s/he???</Diablo 3 reference>
Hm... I just thought the Gem made a gem shrine appear in act 1 somewhere... I guess my 4 neurons in my brain that arent on a lunch break will have to over load themselves thinking of what the gem doesnt do. Like sell cars or buff shoes. Thoes are for the illegal immigrants. Damn hippies