Battletech Simulator development project:
A rapidly growing group of people (myself included) have begun a project. It's goal is to develop a next generation, open source, community developed simulator. It will most likely be based on the combined arms combat of the Battletech universe ('Mechs, Vehicles and Aerotech).

I'm posting this here at the Lurker Lounge because I remember there are Battletech fans here. Also, because there might be coders, modelers, artists, would be game designers and just ideas people that would like to do this for experience/fun.

The Idea for this project originated at the NetBattletech league for Mechwarrior 4 (the game). It's currently in the concept and engine selection stage.

These are the threads that currently discuss and decide how to proceed further:

This is where the idea began.

Project team structure. If you wish to join up, post here.

Engine selection discussion.

If you're at all interested after reading those threads, we'd love to have you. Thanks for reading.
Sounds fun. I can do 3D work, but only with 3D Studio Max(damn I've gotten less nerdy and more geeky over the years)
Dark Phoenix (The league admin and project coordinator) has posted an update here. The assembly of the team is about to start.

AtomicKitKat and anyone else interested, you can register at the NBT forums here (easy) and post your desire to join. And also register at TikiWiki, the base of operations for this project.

RE: Modeling. Any program that can output into the .obj format will work.
AtomicKitKat,Apr 27 2004, 08:21 PM Wrote:damn I've gotten less nerdy and more geeky over the years
What is the difference? :blink:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Trigger: I'd love to, but have no access to 3dSM(no way in hell I can afford it, and no luck looking for a bootleg)

Tai: The nerd studies like mad(well, actually, he's brilliant too, but he enjoys books and crap) The geek studies less, and plays D&D more(or in my case, studies the D&D books...)...
"TaiDaishar Wrote:What is the difference?  :blink:

http://www.catandgirl.com/view.cgi?94

:P