Could someone explain Blogs to me...
Pete,Apr 23 2004, 10:56 PM Wrote:Hi,

You've explained why you prefer to type (and I presume on a computer rather than mess around with paper, etc.) rather than to hand write.  That probably holds true for the majority of computer users. So what?  You could type into a text editor or a word processor.  Why type *online*?  Specifically, why type where the world can see it?

--Pete
Because it's not worth doing if you don't get recognition for it? :)

(I've never heard of this "blog" thing myself, but I imagine from reading this thread, that it has to do with issuing some sort of paper on things that matter to *you*? If that's the case, what's the difference between a blog and your run-of-the-mill forum-thread? Also "blog" means the same as "fart" in some Norwegian dialects, both verb and noun.)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
"Not all of those things require intelligence, but I think most intelligent people make better lifestyle choices."

In terms of what gives them a better life, or in terms of what increases their portion of the gene pool?

Jester
Hi,

There is a strong negative correlation between intelligence and number of offspring. Seems like we're breeding for stupidity.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I follow alot of the Blogs of people involved in the Mozilla project. It's a nice way for me to discover more about Firefox, and how the latest developments are coming in the nightly builds. The way I see it, I don't have to go searching through the idiots on different fora to get relevent information.

I don't follow any blogs where people just constantly update about their day.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Blog is short for "Web Log," and of course, since people love shortening things, it became "blog." Should have been "Bleh." :blink:
WWBBD?
Quark,Apr 23 2004, 08:18 PM Wrote:I follow alot of the Blogs of people involved in the Mozilla project.  It's a nice way for me to discover more about Firefox, and how the latest developments are coming in the nightly builds.
I don't use Firefox. I am currently using Mozilla Spacevulture.

Tomorrow I'll be using something else.
nt
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Like here? =) The difference is almost superficial. I have a livejournal account too. For me personally I enjoy the perks of having my journal online. Better archiving system than I have, low maintenence, easy access from anywhere with online access, and a level of interactivity which is not wholly unlike the Lurker lounge boards when I choose decent company to keep, talk with and discuss whatever topical idea is on mind.

The main difference is in logistical order of presentation and access control over what is posted and what is viewed and who can view it. The Lurker Lounge's boards become central forum for individual posts, and threads revolving around topics and then tangents. Blogs are individually self-governed. Blogs with comment boards suddenly become individual fora in themselves. Add a comment board where everyone can start topics in, and there you have a community board with a larger system. Imagine the Lurker lounge with the following feature added: if every user had their own invisible privately controlled and modded board which can be accessed by clicking the user's profile. That's basically what you have with today's modern blogs. We can all be linked, cross referenced, threaded, and have our own private webspace to write and discuss in addition to the communal fora.

You are free to speak in those journals. You are free not to speak, or hide what is spoken. You are free to ignore and not see what is spoken.

Also, let's not forget the standard of quality we have here is artificially created and upheld by self-governed controls and very little visible mod attention (what mods do behind the scene, I'm very grateful for, but have no clue of). Before further sneering and elitist upward nose-turning continues, let's not forget that the majority of the UBB, Boards and fora are pure plain drivel. Noise. Meaningless chatter. The standard of quality we have here is artificial. Like all other forms of easily produced mass communication, there's a low signal-to-noise ratio. Blogging is just another medium, little different. There's quality some of the time, and its has to be enforced by some means, individual, or outward.

Asking why is like asking why talk in public? Or building ham radios to talk with other radio hobbyists. Let's not kid ourselves and apply the presumptions of a private diary to a public online journal. They're no longer the same. One is personal and private, and the other is willing to be shared, communicated and distrubuted to those willing and those with access to read. I won't vouch for every online journal out there, especially as there is plenty of simple junk and nonsense, but the system is no worse than the Lurker Lounge's own board and fora system. There's plenty of junk boards out there too that I have simply no desire to scan over. Some are worth reading. Lurker lounge is one among many good and bad. Blogs are another form of media for mass communication that includes books, television and radio channels. Some's worth reading and watching. Most I do not care for. Blogs are no better or worse, as a system and whole.
Griselda,Apr 23 2004, 06:33 PM Wrote:I tend to look down on this perspective, because I feel that they're missing the big picture.  Does it really matter whether it's one minute faster to take exit 310 on the way home instead of 311?
Isn't that what the Lounge is about? :P
If you question why people use weblogs you should also question why people write stories and poems, sing, dance and draw to later open it for the public to see and make comments.

The above arts are like weblogs, you write/draw/etc' what you feel, what you think and then you show it to the public, of course not everyone does that but many people do, if you question weblog's existance you should also question any other art form in this world for they're just different means for the same goal.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I have a Live Journal also. Its something you would only give to friends. I was only told about from one of my friends (Actually it was my one of my ex-gfs <_< ). You can rant, can make it private to where only your friends can view it, you can make it public. It is good for some of those people out there who dont have others to lean on and share there feelings like others have mentioned previously. Your identity is kept secret. No one can find out exactly where you live.
Some people post in their journals daily. Some whenever they can. It is a outlet that is there to be creative and expressive for you just to type away. Just like these forums. We like to vent about issues in the Off topic area of the Lurker Lounge or Talk about certain aspects of D2 in the various different forums. Our comments are public, whether they are rants or not. So really what is the difference?
**Paul**
I will make weapons from your bones--Smith
"I am pond scum"--Bull Shannon from Night Court
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
TaiDaishar,Apr 24 2004, 08:25 AM Wrote:If you question why people use weblogs you should also question why people write stories and poems, sing, dance and draw to later open it for the public to see and make comments.

The above arts are like weblogs, you write/draw/etc' what you feel, what you think and then you show it to the public, of course not everyone does that but many people do, if you question weblog's existance you should also question any other art form in this world for they're just different means for the same goal.
But would you consider the intent of art the same as the intent of blogs? The expressing of feelings might be part of writing a blog, but do you think that is the sole purpose of it? I myself would suspect a more sinister motive. But then again, I'm a pessimist with a slight touch of paranoia ;)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
And that includes no sole sinister purpose! Don't you dare think there's only other sinister purposes! Sinister is all inclusive. There are a lot of intents. Good, bad and ugly. You don't want to know about the really sinister ones--but there are some really great ones and for good reasons. Webcomic blogs in particular :D
DeeBye,Apr 23 2004, 10:05 PM Wrote:I don't use Firefox.&nbsp; I am currently using Mozilla Spacevulture.

Tomorrow I'll be using something else.
Ugh. I must be behind the curve (again!) - I'm still using Firebird. :(

OR

What is this Spacevulture you speak of?
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Firebird? That was so 2 browsers ago![/valley_girl]

I'm using the Microsquish Firesquid. Previously was the Firefox. ;)
Well, I guess I should clarify.

I have a blog, which is my primary way of communicate with my friends and tell them how I am doing, rather then using the mass email method. If I need to rant, I like to put it online to get other people's perspective(s) on the issue. In that sense it works like a giant forum I guess.

Then I have my diary as well, which is my really deep inner stuff, which is done happily in notepad, offline. :) It's also for personal stuff to keep around for reference as well, things people say or do so I can refer back to it should I need too. My refined pieces for the philosophical book tend to go into word and stay offline as well.
I just recently got into the blog thing, and I rather like it. Many of my friends from college have them, and it's nice to see what they're writing about. Also is nice to post interesting or funny things in, or to plan trips to visit people, or to talk about major lifechanging events. Well, those aren't too often, but there will be a post sometime soon about the apartment we bought... I've set rules for myself about the blog: I won't say anything bad about anyone I know, or make obscure references about people behind or in front of their backs. There's enough stress and unhappiness around these days as it is.

For anyone who knows my away messages on AIM, those serve a blog-ish purpose also... to talk about what I'm doing in an abstract and amusing way. =) And I suspect that people read the away messages and enjoy them, and I assume people do the same with my blog.
Scientist by Day
Sorceress by Night
Cybit,Apr 23 2004, 01:30 PM Wrote:Honestly?

I type 4x faster then I write.&nbsp; And when I'm writing a piece for a book, that consists of ranting and philosophy from a college student's perspective, and my mind is racing, I can type it out a lot faster then I can write it out. :)
Dragon NS... I talk faster than I type... :D
I have a xanga, and a livejournal, though I just copy my xanga entry and paste it into livejournal. I have both because I have friends who have each. I'm 18, about to graduate high school, I have a lot of stuff going on right now, especially with 6 IB exams (sitting for 14 different tests), and 2 AP exams (which I haven't even taken classes for), and all my college stuff. I have a lot of stuff on my mind, I like to question things, and by typing them, I feel like I'm sharing them with other people, and they have the ability to write back.

The communities on livejournal and xanga have allowed me to meet other people in my same situations, and we can share trials and advice. I have connected with other IB students from around the world, and people who will be attending the same College as I in the fall, and people who follow the same sports teams that I do.

Also, I follow politics and current events a lot, and honestly, not many people do in high school. But I can find people on xanga who also write about daily happenings around the world, and post messages back and forth with them about the events, why they happened, and maybe what they will lead to in the future. It's a way for me to channel thoughts, and rant about things I don't like, and provide the people who read my blog with humor and offbeat news, as well as important happenings. (Early in the week an xray of a person's stomach who ate 350 coins appeared in my xanga, along with news and ideas about the huge train wreck / explosion / assassination attempt in North Korea. I also posted the letter I wrote to the my representatives in the Virginia General Assembly about their reluctance to pass a budget, and the effects it is, and will have on public schooling, both k-12 and universities).

My blog on xanga gets ~30 hits a day, and growing (according to the counter I've recently added), many of which are people I do not know in real life, and would not otherwise have the chance to come in contact with.

Much like anything else someone does, I find a certain satisfaction putting my thoughts on "paper" :blink: .

xanga and livejournal on the off chance anyone is interested