Enchantress died alas alak
Gentleman by the name of something Catapult informed me that there was a way to kill someone while starting out not hostile to them. He was a necromancer and joined a hell cow game that someone else opend up. That person got mobbed by cows and dropped when Mr. Pult entered the portal. He joined my party and allowed me to loot his corpse which I did not reciprocate. He waited until I was attacking some cows and standing at the edge of my screen cast some bone spirits, then I died.

Just as I died I got the hostile alarm simultaneously with the portal opening and my death scream. Apparently when a necro returns to town his bone spirits don't disappear, they keep going and when he hostiled me they targeted on me. No human could trigger the town portal and the hostile that fast and he confirmed this by taunting me in multiple colors which I don't know a legit way of producing. So some program out there produces this effect which means every chump on the block can have it.

Other than not playing with any necromancers (pale bastards) how can this be avoided? Are there any other classes/skills where this bug can be exploited? I'm thinking hammerdins and meteor/blizzard/orb sorcs can do the same thing. Volcano/boulder/fissure druids? I know trap assassins are fixed.

Playing it safe that would really limit my ability to party and for some places like hell diablo or ancients that would make my life REALLY difficult. Any ideas?

Oh and next question....what build should I start on next?
Step 2: Acquire and train a monkey. This step may take some time.
The answer to your last question is simple: start whichever build you most want to play.

The answer to the first is The Amazon Basin . They have regular games on USWest, USEast and Europe in which you will never see this kind of behavior. You can play hardcore to your hearts content.

-DarkCrown
Quote:The answer to the first is  The Amazon Basin .
I read their rules and they are a bit stiff for me. I don't want to have to ask permission to mule, or even think about who takes a shrine, who really cares? And I definately don't like the communist item "sharing" system.

I'm just wondering what classes/skills are able to trigger pkill.
Quote:And I definately don't like the communist item "sharing" system.

LOL. Bunch of commies. "Sharing". What a load of mind-control crap. Hey TPJ, *cough* Stalin */cough*, see you in hell.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
arrunique,Apr 21 2004, 04:00 PM Wrote:And I definately don't like the communist item "sharing" system.
I am not a member of the AB, but I do think that this is an idea that does have some merit. If they divide the items based upon need, it is actually a better system than you will find in most online games. (grabbing what you can and leaving junk behind for everyone else.) Sure, you won't get as much gold as you ordinarily would, but if you have a good time and keep you/your merc alive, gold really isn't that necessary.

Besides, IMO, Communism, in theory, is a pretty decent economic system. When practiced, however, it fails miserably.
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
Quote:I am not a member of the AB, but I do think that this is an idea that does have some merit. If they divide the items based upon need, it is actually a better system than you will find in most online games.
This is a game, nobody needs anything(and I'll argue that in life nobody needs anything). Besides I usually drop the items I don't need in town in public games. But if I think I can use it sometime in the future then I'll store it. I would rather take my chances with my reflexes and connection than the arbitrary whims of the other players in the game.

Following that theory the person with the naked character would get everything because they need the most.

And also the commie system denies melee characters the one miniscule benefit of taking all that risk, being closer to the drops.

The drop thing is somewhat bearable though, it is the whole walking on eggshells thing like asking permission to mule. How does that hurt anyone?

Quote:Besides, IMO, Communism, in theory, is a pretty decent economic system. When practiced, however, it fails miserably.
That is sort of like saying "In theory if you flap your arms fast enough you can fly without a plane!" But anyway this isn't the place for this discussion, if you want to PM me I will happily debate the merits of economic systems and philosophies.

Back to the original discussion, I was reading on some of the shadier boards that it was impossible to TPPK with hammers but was with charged bolts, anyone know anything about that?
arrunique,Apr 22 2004, 11:59 AM Wrote:I would rather take my chances with my reflexes and connection than the arbitrary whims of the other players in the game.

And also the commie system denies mêlée characters the one miniscule benefit of taking all that risk, being closer to the drops.&nbsp;
So....you mean that since you have a mêlée character who is bravely fighting right beside the action and have a better connection and reflexes than me, you should get the drops, even though you are benefiting from my Hunter Druid's Oak Sage and Dire Wolves? Or from the Shadow Master and maxed Cloak of Shadows from my Sniper Assassin?

I should depend you whether you 'think' you might need that nifty Demon Machine someday for one of your own characters, instead of having it automatically go into a drop pile for further discussion?

Perhaps, with that attitude, you should stick to public games, eh?

Quote:Following that theory the person with the naked character would get everything because they need the most.

It seems that you have never played alongside any naked characters. They *cough* don't wear any clothes. :o They actually don't want gear. They don't need any because they have decided to go naked.

Quote:The drop thing is somewhat bearable though, it is the whole walking on eggshells thing like asking permission to mule.  How does that hurt anyone?

If you are playing a fragile variant, it can be a bit difficult to have the monsters spawning on you with wildly varying hit points, depending on how many mules are popping in and out of the game at random. That is why you need to ask.

Edit: even ieSpell misses things sometimes :angry:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:So....you mean that since you have a mêlée character who is bravely fighting right beside the action and have a better connection and reflexes than me, you should get the drops, even though you are benefiting from my Hunter Druid's Oak Sage and Dire Wolves? Or from the Shadow Master and maxed Cloak of Shadows from my Sniper Assassin?

Nah. Mêlée characters who bravely fight right beside the action don't deserve anything. It's the mêlée characters who stop fighting as soon as something drops and run over to pick it up (possibly letting the monsters they were tanking break through and slaughter the ranged characters) who really deserve items.

:rolleyes:.
It happens that I read that part of the FAQ over at the AB the other day, and I have to admit that my initial reaction was "I don't think so".

I believe it's all because they are a much larger community.

My understanding, from what I read, is that if two people (or three or seven for that matter) are in a game together, muling and chatting, anyone who enters that game may demand that they stop muling, and the others must comply or leave. (Actually, it's more than that - the explicit permission of all existing players and any future entering players is required.)

They way the rules are written, every single item that you bring back to town, except consumables like potions, even down to a cracked sash, must not be sold, but must be dropped on the ground for later party examination and sale and the proceeds of any sales must be divided among all the players.

Also as I recall, frequent trips to town are discouraged and unless the pace is too fast for a player to feel safe, lagging behind is a black mark.

I'm a kind of pokey player who likes to kick every basket. Some nights, I even like to haul every last bolt and arrow back to town to sell, and use the frequent trips to town to refresh the vendors for shopping. (Though I am trying to break my habit of being a complete stick picker.) So the best way for me to play in AB games would be to simply make private ones.

Again, I think it's all because they are a much larger community and, I assume, have to deal with a constant influx of new members. When you matchmake games with strangers, perhaps you can't know what oddball characters they might be playing or have a good feel for what items might be interesting or what might be safe to sell. And for the sake of the newcomers, you want to keep the rules as clear-cut, direct and simple as possible.

In a small community, I can be pretty confident about selling the Glowing Cap or the crappy rare, while saving the ring of Holy Bolt charges for GGG. We can drop items that are green, gold or just possibly interesting in town, and be pretty casual about muling. (We can even get into reverse arguments - "No, you take the Annilus - you don't have one yet - but be quick before b.net eats it!") But all that may not scale into a larger community.

On the other hand, I think arrunique's melee character and reflexes argument was pretty weak.

-- CH
Regarding TPPK: That's old news friend. Someone just modified the Guided Arrow TPPK hack to work with Bone Spirit. Fireball also works, as does Blessed Hammer and many other skills. Blizzard is stupid as nails! Instead of fixing "all" skills to stop working when a player goes to town, as would seem only logical, they only fixed the current PK'ing ones in version 1.09. How utterly ridiculous :lol: .

Regarding AB item sharing: I've never played a Basin game in my life, yet I happen to agree with their item sharing policy. My opinion on why this is so has pretty much already been stated here in other peoples posts so I won't repeat it.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Besides, IMO, Communism, in theory, is a pretty decent economic system. When practiced, however, it fails miserably.

I lived there. This is no joking matter mate!

It is as if you said that "Immortality is a decent plan, practiced, however, it fails". Daa! Besides, the theory of Communism is internally flawed, assumes using information that in essence does not exist. So no, neither in theory, nor in practice is it a 'decent system'. Not even economically.
Quote:

RE: Commie (sic) rules It happens that I read that part of the FAQ over at the AB the other day, and I have to admit that my initial reaction was "I don't think so".

I believe it's all because they are a much larger community.

My understanding, from what I read, is that if two people (or three or seven for that matter) are in a game together, muling and chatting, anyone who enters that game may demand that they stop muling, and the others must comply or leave. (Actually, it's more than that - the explicit permission of all existing players and any future entering players is required.)

They way the rules are written, every single item that you bring back to town, except consumables like potions, even down to a cracked sash, must not be sold, but must be dropped on the ground for later party examination and sale and the proceeds of any sales must be divided among all the players.

Also as I recall, frequent trips to town are discouraged and unless the pace is too fast for a player to feel safe, lagging behind is a black mark.

:blink: so very very wrong. if someone dosent like you muling then yes you can switch one more time to pick everything up and stop. and the reason as stated is the fact that monsters going up and down can get you killed. Also some people don't have broadband buddy and rapidly going in and out will lag them quiet a bit.

For the second one. mainly its magic sets rares gems and uniques.... a few normals get dragged in too ie normal diadem for imbueing or 6 socket ethreal Zerker axe :D also if two people want the same item.. the lottery is set up i'm not going into that. but i say yes to sailboats lottery heh.

And the last point.... where the HELL did you get that idea? :blink: Trust me when i say we lag behind and go to town alot Town dumps happen every four miniutes < town dump is taking all those intresting magics rares and the such to town and dropping them for later sorting. and alot of players lag back personaly i double back constantly to check if some monsters came from the side or the such. but its not a blackmark .... basin black marks are third party programs and exploits...and some other things..

/Rant
O.O indeed

Jin,Apr 26 2004, 04:50 PM Wrote::blink:&nbsp; so very very wrong. if someone dosent like you muling then yes you can switch one more time to pick everything up and stop
So I'm very, very wrong and yet you agree with me? Hmm. Do you agree or disagree that as the rules are currently written, seven people can be in a game chatting and muling, and if another person enters the game and does not give explicit permission for them to continue, then the other seven people must stop muling (after one more char switch)?

Jin Wrote:For the second one.&nbsp; mainly its magic sets rares gems and uniques.... a few normals get dragged in too ie&nbsp; normal diadem for imbueing or 6 socket ethreal Zerker axe&nbsp; :D&nbsp; &nbsp; also if two people want the same item.. the lottery is set up i'm not going into that.&nbsp; but i say yes to sailboats lottery&nbsp; heh.
I'll quote the rules as written.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/item_drops.php Wrote:Principle 1: ANYTHING you pick up while playing with a party, except health or mana potions or gold, belongs to the party and MUST be dropped in town.

Principle 2: Do not sell anything without permission from the party.
At first I was guessing that you and I have different definitions of the word "anything". But since you are including normal, magic, set, rare & unique items along with gems - I'll assume runes were left out by accident - that's close enough to anything and everything for me. Could you please explain how I have misinterpreted the rules as written?

As to the lottery, I don't have an objection to it. But it's a mechanism that's only necessary in a larger community.

Jin Wrote:And the last point.... where the HELL did you get that idea?&nbsp; :blink:&nbsp; Trust me when i say we lag behind and go to town alot Town dumps happen every four miniutes&nbsp; < town dump is taking all those intresting magics&nbsp; rares and the such to town and dropping them for later sorting.
Again, from the rules as written:

Quote:Avoid making a special trip to town to ID items. The party makes periodic trips back to town for repairs and pots, try to use this time to ID items in town.
Jin Wrote:and alot of players lag back
Quote:If the pace of play is too fast [...], grab what you can during the brief break after combat, and when the party moves on - you move on with it.
If you say that, in reality, the games play a lot more loosely than this, I'll believe you. It's similar to the relationship between the California vehicle code and the speed of traffic on the freeway. Theory and practice, may differ.

Since this discussion is about a reaction to the written rules not the actual practice of the AB, I don't see much basis for your rant. And back in the days when I played in AB games and was really active in the forums, it was a stand up group. (CoffeeGrrl was still around, if that helps date me.) So I'm not trying to denigrate the Basin in any way. It's simply that as a player I like to take my time - to stop and smell the corpses.

-- CH
Quote:So I'm very, very wrong and yet you agree with me? Hmm. Do you agree or disagree that as the rules are currently written, seven people can be in a game chatting and muling, and if another person enters the game and does not give explicit permission for them to continue, then the other seven people must stop muling (after one more char switch
in practice no one mules for long times in basin games usually. repeat usually you get a switch to mule drop switch to char play on . by very very wrong i ment the entire view ^^; second of all i understand that sounded kinda double sided but i mean not every cracked sash and everything else is dragged to town and dropped. and its not that bad to say " is it ok if i sell "such and such" that the party found. anyone not with the party / group that found it dosent have a say and if they find it alone its all thiers. its not like you can find a storm shield off baal and that guy who joined a miniute ago and is in the den of evil can ask for it.

i'm not going to push the topic further . but why don't anyone who dosent like the basins mules come play with us for a bit and find out first hand rather then basing your entire opnion on the written rules.