Me stupid. Me need help.
Hi, lurkers:

I don't know if a post such as this is appropiate here (even though The Lounge is for general discussion), so don't flame too much and sorry in advance. Having said this...

Most of you must have advanced knowledge in computers, so please, let me beg your help: I wanted to check the status of my internet connection through the use of these various commands:

Ipsetup.exe
Ping.exe
Netstat.exe
Nbtstat.exe
Net.exe
Telnet.exe
Ftp.exe

The system is and OLD Pentium 200 mhz, 32 Mb RAM, running on Windows 95...
Why are you all laughing? :blink: This is no joke, really!! Well, I only use this computer for writting documents, web surfing and playing some old games as Diablo, NetHack and like that, this, and my LOW budget has prevented me from actualising (have I spelled this correctly?) my system. Enough said.

Well, and now, the uber question, get ready to RFOL about me, this is so darn stupid: when I type those commands in start; execute (or whatever you had in your Win 95 systems, mine is in spanish...) the screen goes so fast (FAST the Pentium 200, you wouldn't believe it...) that I can't read anything! (and then the window closes).

1. Would any of you (well, after you stop laughing) tell me what do I need to type so the "screen" with the results stops and I can read it?

2. What do I do so the results are "printed" in an .txt file?

3. Is it correct asking for this kind of help here?
"La espada de la divina justicia no hiere prematura ni tardíamente, aunque una u otra cosa parezca a los que la deseen o la temen".

Dante Alighieri
well, you could go to start>Programs>ms-dos prompt

and then just type the commands in there - but anything with a readout great than 1 page will still scroll - can't help you with that.

-Bob
Hi,

Glad to see there's still interest in dead languages :)

First, don't type these in a the run box of the start screen. Instead look for a command that is something like "DOS Prompt" (no idea what it would be in Spanish). Running that command opens a DOS window which is like the old command line interface. Type those commands that you are experimenting with in the DOS window and you should see the results. If some of the output scrolls off too fast to see, try adding the "/p" switch which will often cause the results to "page". Also, you could also pipe the results through more by simply using the | symbol as in

dir | more

Many DOS commands are set up so that if you use the command name followed by /? it will give you a list of the switches with their meaning.

To redirect the output to a file, simply use the > symbol. So,

dir > text.tmp

will put the output of the dir command into the text file text.tmp in the active directory (which you can change with the cd command).

If a program hangs up, you can usually stop it with control-c

And, yes, this is the right place to ask for that kind of help :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Bob,Apr 19 2004, 12:58 PM Wrote:well, you could go to start>Programs>ms-dos prompt
I'm not overly familier with the commands you mentioned, but if you execute them at the Dos Prompt (above quote) and they produce output only (without need of further keystrokes), you can redirect the output to a file.

I'll use Ping.Exe as my example as I'm fairly certain it produces only output.

C:\>Ping > Somefile.Txt

The greater-than sign will create an ASCII text file containing the output. Be careful tho, if Somefile.Txt already exists, it will be overwritten.

C:\>Ping >> Somefile.Txt

Does the same thing, but will append the output to Somefile.Txt.

Hope this helps.

ZR

Edit: Pete beat me too it. Read his post. Much more elaborate than mine.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
IIRC, you can also execute the program "command" from Start > Run to start the command line interface.
Also, IIRC, I think this works on Win95 -- from the Dos Prompt icon, from properties you can change various things like font, font size, the screen buffer size and dos window size. So then your Dos Prompt will have more than the default 24 lines. I used 300 lines back in the 95 days when my programs would dump, in order to read the stack trace information.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]