Looking for a Few Good Orks

Needed: 4 tough orks to raid Stormwind. On the way we wipe out stubby dwarfs and wussy elfs. Maybe we help some Orks in Need by performing Dangerous Quests, as long as we get to kill something and it doesn't delay our Cause. We need orks with cold blood, black teeth, and bad temper. Orks with Lust for Blood. Orks who tire of Horde politicks. Orks ready for killing spree. You know Who you Are. Sign up below.

Also does any ork know which way to Stormwind? Arg, no matter, we will find it. Big city with bad manstench. We follow Trouble and it will lead us there. We leave path of blood for Horde armies to follow.

-Ug

Anyone want to organize an all-orc raiding party? I'm thinking about 4-5 orcs covering most classes and all trade skills once, party-pure, no playing without the group, by arrangement probably on Saturdays and/or Sundays only. With the horde push starting, this seems like a good time to try it.

-N
Hi,

Saturdays are pretty much out, but Sunday evening (say after 7 PST) should work.

No preference on class, but I'd like to give blacksmithing a try.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Sounds like fun-I have an Orc shaman who has not selected a skill. Probably herbalism would be a good one. Sunday nights are fine with me for the most part.
Sounds like we have 3 for Sunday nights. Anyone else?
Sure, sounds like fun. Count me in! I tend to like spellcasters, and I'd like to try out a shaman to find out what they're like, but in a pinch I'd be willing to be a warlock if Thenrb really wants to be the group's shaman.
It appears we have a quorum. There is still one slot available for the Sunday evening squad of doom, if anyone else is interested. We will start tomorrow (Sunday the 18th) at 7PM Pacific, unless anyone has a problem with this.

If Thenryb and MongoJerry wish to be the smarty orks, I would prefer the rogue instead of the warrior this time. Pete, if you don't mind being the warrior I think it is all yours.

We can get our daggers bloody before we have to worry about dividing all of the trade skills. Most trades are dedicated to creating products for the group, so it doesn't really matter which character is doing them. I think first aid (to apply some bandages) and engineering (to use some gadgets) are exceptions where having the skill points could possibly affect your role in a combat situation.
Hi,

Pete, if you don't mind being the warrior I think it is all yours.

Grash (subject to prior theft of name) proud to be warrior -- you point, I smash :)

--Pete

Thenryb,Apr 17 2004, 01:58 AM Wrote:Sounds like fun-I have an Orc shaman who has not selected a skill. Probably herbalism would be a good one.  Sunday nights are fine with me for the most part.
Hi

I'm sitting here at my desk with Tears in my Eyes reading about the Fun you are all about to have...a 4 Orc Run...remindes me of a D1 4 Warrior Hell/Hell run :wub:

Tom, an Orc Shaman, you were a Barb/Shaman in EQ it think, are you enjoying WoW? What are some of the differences compared to EQ & AC1 ?

ps: you are Hungry...you are Thirsty, oh how we hated that text message :P

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
I want to raaaaaaaaiiid. :(
Quote:Sure, sounds like fun. Count me in! I tend to like spellcasters, and I'd like to try out a shaman to find out what they're like, but in a pinch I'd be willing to be a warlock if Thenrb really wants to be the group's shaman.

I've changed my mind. I'll be happy to be the group's warlock. Thenrb can be the group's shaman without guilt or hard feelings of any kind. Let's kill and smash. Then, smash and kill.
I am not really particular. Are we starting new characters for this or using existing ones? The only reason I said shaman is that I have one up and running now. I would be equally inept at playing a warlock, warrior, rogue or mage.

And to King Jim. Yes, indeed, I recall my EQ shaman, who got to about 14 when I got bored of the game and quit. In fact, his name was Haradil, the same as my ugly orc in WOW. The shaman plays differently than I recall the one in EQ. That one, iirc , was mostly a buffer (at least at the level mine achieved) whereas the one in WOW is more of an offensive spell caster, with some buffing skills and crowd control skills thrown in. I have found this game much more captivating than EQ, and I am not really sure of all the reasons. For one thing, the screen layout is much more to my liking in that the various "bars" take up much less of the screen. Also, the view selection is much better. In EQ, you were kind of limited to either a first person view (which I did not like) or a straight top down view which was not very good for playing. EQ did have that taunt skill which was available to warriors and shamen (at least) from an early level and that was useful for keeping mobs off of spellcasters and healers. Warriors have that skill in WOW but it comes later and is not as easy to use, since I believe it is tied to rage. WOW has so many more quests available than I remember in EQ and there is far less need to camp overcrowded spots in order to get experience. Of course, at the time I played EQ it was a mature game with lots of people playing as opposed to a fairly sparsely populated beta.

Finally, there is much less spam. You mentioned the fact that EQ felt the need to constantly remind you that you were hungry and thirsty after you died and were going after your corpse. WOW seems less inclined to remind you constantly of the obvious so there is less text. Also, WOW players seem less inclined to overuse the yell command, although, again, that may change when the game goes gold.
I think the idea is to start brand new characters together and only play those characters while we're together. But I'll keep my warlock. I already created her.
Hi,

The server has been yo-yoing the past hour or so, but the main web page says that it is up right now. I can't seem to load the character list. Just hangs there. I'll try a re-boot, see if I can get on.

--Pete

I am hanging up at the "retrieve character list" phase. Will come on as soon as I can.
Ah, duh, Ug was Nystul :P Last night we saw:

Ugishad (Nystul) - Rogue
Grisk (Griselda) - Warrior
MsElvira (Thenryb) - Warlock
Alvironak (sp?) (MongoJerry) - Shaman
Charismash (Charis) - Warrior

That was actually my first warrior, and the rage vs mana thing threw me for a loop.
We got that early quests, making us about lvl 3-4, and I think ready to hit the road to Razor Hill.

My plan for showing up was to play another Orc character just to hang out and be a back up
in case you were short one. They were short of a fifth and I hadn't caught Pete's post here
showing interest. If Pete or someone wanted in, I'll revert to that role of extra character on-hand.

Charis
Hi,

But not intentionally.

Grisk (Griselda) - Warrior

Nah. That wasn't Griselda, that was me. :)

I was going to make a character named "Grash", but that name had been taken. So in the heat of the moment I changed the "a" to an "i" -- never even occurred to me that I was "intruding" on Griselda's name space till I saw your post.

In spite of some server problems, I think we all had a good time. I know that I didn't want to stop and logged back on with another character after we quit and played a few more hours. Not as much fun solo. But still addicting ;)

Looks like a good group, now if there were some way for us warriors to aggro (I'm I using that right? MMORPG newbie here) the mobs so that the spell casters quit getting mauled, we might even come up with a tactic or two :)

--Pete

Ha!!

Indeed, you did. Your play and chat style did seem somewhat non-Griselda-like.
Glad you could make it on Pete. I was about to ask "Griselda, I thought you had a RL D&D
game tonight, what happened?" but a mob appearing around us knocked that thought out of my mind.

I agree, it would be nice for the warriors to be able to do something to 'tank' more,
otherwise in a party situation, why bother with them over a rogue or an extra mage
if it comes down to firepower not toughness.

As a warrior newb, I'm also curious if there will be a way for us (or any pair of warriors in a
party) to differentiate themselves. Are there real differences in the skills and methods used, or
are warriors pretty generic and interchangeable. Battle stance vs Defensive stance for example, is
that something a warrior picks situationally or is it something that he chooses as a 'primary' stance and
indeed a way of fighting, choosing his skills and stat increases and armor and weapons to fit along with
that choice. IF I could get monsters to beat on me, I wouldn't mind for example choosing a high hp,
high armor tank that gets beat on, with defensive stance and dodging and skills that incapacitate,
as opposed to going for max dmg. Is such a choice a real option for a warrior? Did you have any thoughts
or preferences where you're going with your warrior?

Charis
Charis,Apr 19 2004, 10:29 AM Wrote:"Griselda, I thought you had a RL D&D
game tonight, what happened?"
Yes, while you were playing, my halfling rogue was busy fighting a candelabra, and losing! :lol:

Glad to hear that you guys had fun, though.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Hi,

First, a digression. Seems that mobs focus on who hit them first. So I think a ranged attack may be useful for warriors. Takes about level 20, I think.

Now, taunt might be another good way to go. But I haven't seen it yet.

I don't know yet how well the warrior skills will play out, or even what they'll look like in the final cut (as if any Blizzard product is ever "final") of the game. The list that I was looking at is too general to give more than a hint. Taunt is a definite maybe, Impale might be useful for mobs that heal fast (if there are any), any buffing shout that takes rage (i.e., needs to be used after combat has started) seems a waste, and anything causing an enemy to flee is probably not that good for group tactics (but might be a life saver if soloing).

The info contained on the official site on warriors is not much more help. It does mention stances, but again some play will be needed to see if any give an advantage of the balanced stance.

But with no numeric info to work with, and no game experience to test with, I don't know if there will be multiple viable warriors or not. Maybe as skills become available, you and I can plot out different paths and compare how well each works.

--Pete

I agree, it would be nice for the warriors to be able to do something to 'tank' more,
otherwise in a party situation, why bother with them over a rogue or an extra mage
if it comes down to firepower not toughness.

They probably didn't give warriors specific aggro control skills at level 1 because the mobs are simply too easy to be bothered with it. Around level 7 you will get a few helpful combat stance skills, one to slow mobs footspeed (this also helps to avoiding attracting additional mobs), and an attack-from-behind skill that will lock the monster onto you for 6 seconds. At level 10, you guys can do a fun little quest to learn the art of defense, and everything you know about playing a warrior will be out the window :)

But in any case, aggro control takes a coordinated effort. I'm letting you and Pete initiate combat, because I can already do a lot of damage if I start my combo with a backstab. By the time most monsters are tough enough to threaten me after such a combo, you two will be able to use your own variation on backstab to make them spin right back around. I think our casters know pretty well what they need to do to manage aggro, and will react accordingly when it becomes necessary.

Are there real differences in the skills and methods used, or are warriors pretty generic and interchangeable.

I'd tend to say it's mostly interchangeable. We could say that one warrior uses defensive stance and the other uses combat, but IMO it won't make a big difference in terms of character building or gear choices. Every warrior can buy/quest every skill, so it is mostly a matter of how you use them. In many cases, both warriors are going to have to tank enemies at the same time. There are a fascinating number of crowd control possibilities, but it is tough to anticipate what the other players are going to do when enemies suddenly pop up out of nowhere.

I look forward to our next session, when we can get these orks out of the Den and into the real world.